The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#217002 - 04/16/12 01:33 PM Using your home to pay for your vacation?
startitup Offline

Let me know what you think of this idea...

There are lots of people who love to travel and want to go travel, but it can be very expensive. But what if you could rent your home out while you are gone so you don't have to pay for a vacation and the price of your house sitting idle. This could even be done like a house swap where person X wants to vacation where person Y lives, and person Y wants to vacation where person X lives. So instead of paying for an expensive hotel or renting an expensive summer house, person X pays the cost of living in person Y's home (electricity, monthly payments on house) and person Y pays the cost of living in person X's home, for either a week, month, or longer. Therefore people can travel to many more places for longer and for less money.

#217003 - 04/16/12 04:22 PM Re: Using your home to pay for your vacation? [Re: startitup]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Think I'd be uncomfortable having strangers live in my house.
Some people are good renters. Some are not. The concept of saving money is great. But don't think I'd want my home trashed.

#217005 - 04/16/12 07:12 PM Re: Using your home to pay for your vacation? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I've heard of people trading homes for a month or so. And in the past year or so Hallmark even did a movie about the concept - I think it is called "Trading Christmas." Movie was based on a book by Debbie Macomber, as I recall.

So I guess if Hallmark and Debbie Macomer are telling us about house trading, this is not a totally "out there" concept.

But I'm with Jabber. I'd be leery of trying it.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217008 - 04/17/12 10:10 AM Re: Using your home to pay for your vacation? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Personally, I would not want strangers in my home.

#217036 - 04/20/12 01:25 AM Re: Using your home to pay for your vacation? [Re: Louisa]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
This happened with some people in Vancouver who rented out their condo during the 2010 Winter Olympics. I know woman who did. Don't know of the experience. I think it was for a high figure..over $2,000CAN for a week or less. She packed some of her stuff into storage.

To me, that's just alot of hassle in terms of cleaning, etc. afterwards too even if they are good renters.

Not I. Mind you, we will be staying for a night and sharing with someone else renting a condo in the Rockies this summer.

Edited by orchid (04/20/12 01:27 AM)

#217047 - 04/21/12 09:38 PM Re: Using your home to pay for your vacation? [Re: orchid]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
Another good movie along these lines is "The Holiday" starring Kate Winslet, Carmen Diaz, Jude Law (*sigh*), and Jack Black. It's a romantic comedy.

BTW, I agree with most everyone who responded to this topic. Since we don't spend a lot of our time sitting in our hotel or motel rooms anyhow, my husband and I go for the least expensive places we can find. After all, we're just going to sleep there! Almost all our time is spent sightseeing.

I have heard of agencies that facilitate home swaps, but I'm not interested. Not worth the hassle.

Edited by Sandy N. (04/21/12 09:39 PM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved