The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#216687 - 03/19/12 11:51 PM Your Brain on Fiction - More Than You Knew
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Fiction authors of the world will be interested in this article I just read in the New York Times "Sunday Review" section.

In brief, it indicates that there is now scientific evidence proving that when we read a novel, the brain responds to the depictions of smells and textures and movements we're reading about just as if it is encountering the real thing.

And, our brain treats the interactions among the fictional characters we read about very much as the same as it treats real-life social encounters.

I find this fascinating -- and hugely impactful. Here's a peek at the initial paragraph:

Quote:

Your Brain on Fiction
By ANNIE MURPHY PAUL
Published: March 17, 2012

AMID the squawks and pings of our digital devices, the old-fashioned virtues of reading novels can seem faded, even futile. But new support for the value of fiction is arriving from an unexpected quarter: neuroscience.

I hope all our fiction authors will read and weigh in on this... Who knew the works of fiction we read and write were this powerful? And what responsibilities - if any - does this new knowledge place on authors' shoulders?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216690 - 03/20/12 08:54 AM Re: Your Brain on Fiction - More Than You Knew [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

Like oral tradition we absorb others stories through novels and biographies .Indeed I read that one medical professor who taught young medics advised that his students read others stories...so that a mainly scientific education could be enriched by knowing how people albeit in books live...to be moved by an authors words is an important part of my life experience.The weaving of words is
a wonderful talent.

#216691 - 03/20/12 12:33 PM Re: Your Brain on Fiction - More Than You Knew [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Words are so powerful, IMHO! They can lift us. They can bring us down. And since reality is threaded within fiction, and spices the novels like pepper, it makes sense that the brain processes stories as if experiencing whatever events are manuscripted! And not only do authors have a responsibity to use edifying script, all of us have a responsibility to try and tame our spoken verbage.

#216712 - 03/23/12 05:58 PM Re: Your Brain on Fiction - More Than You Knew [Re: jabber]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
This is a fascinating article. Thank you, Anne, for posting the link.

#216743 - 03/26/12 03:04 AM Re: Your Brain on Fiction - More Than You Knew [Re: Sandy N.]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Interesting knowing that in this time, the pen still holds the most power. Who knew it would work on our brains through the stories we write and tell. That gives me hope that authors will learn from this and create stories that help our minds instead of garbage that destroys.

Thanks for sharing the article Anne.
www.tidedancer.com

#216747 - 03/26/12 07:48 AM Re: Your Brain on Fiction - More Than You Knew [Re: Sandpiper]
Mountain Ash Offline

The way we favour certain authors and genres may be a factor.We can either be challenged or have our mind sets agreed with.I believe we are always growing unless we resist due to fear that we are out of a comfort zone...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved