The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#214979 - 10/07/11 09:01 PM Newlyweds Ages
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Do any of you believe there is an age too old to marry? I mean for a groom or a bride.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214995 - 10/08/11 06:27 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Chatty, I doubt there is an age where I would say a person was too old to marry, assuming one wants to.

But as we get older and we have assets we want to preserve for our children, it sometimes doesn't make sense financially to legally tie the knot, especially since we will not likely be raising children anymore.

In those cases, it might make more sense just to live together...

But this is just my opinion.

I am speaking as an observer of my 81 year old father, who has been married - and divorced -- three times. Each divorce has taken a financial toll on his assets. (As well as a toll on his heart, I am sure...)

These days he has a "significant other," and they travel together for months at a time - and spend a lot of time together when they are not on the road.

But each of them maintains their own household.

Last I spoke with him, he said he figured he has about four more good years of traveling left in him. (He and his lady just bought a new travel trailer to pull behind his Tahoe and they plan to divide up the US into quadrants and visit all the national parks during these coming years.)

But at 81 he is agile, fluent and alert. He still briskly walks several miles a day -- and I have a hard time keeping up with him whenever I've tried to accompany him.

So he is clearly in good health, and, if were to tell me he wanted to marry again, I'd say "go for it." I'm sure loving and supportive companionship - not to mention sex if so desired - is still "good medicine" for all of us, no matter how old we are.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215002 - 10/08/11 11:13 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sounds to me like you dad is living the perfect life Anne. I agree about just living together as companions and keeping your assets separate...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#215012 - 10/11/11 04:30 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I like the idea of doing things together for companionship, but
have seen too many older marriages have sad endings. Quite often the couple each have grown children and the two sides battle over one thing or another.

#215019 - 10/13/11 01:43 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

If something happened to your spouse, [naturally this is addressed to those of you who have a spouse] would any of you get married again? Or would you just live with somebody? Or would you get together with other friends of your gender and share household expenses? Just curious!

#215023 - 10/13/11 09:52 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, I don't think I would have a goal to marry again.

I believe I would want to spend some time single and alone before I made a decision on what to do next. No urge to make a fast decision on this one...

Probably because I don't have a group of single girlfriends to share household expenses with. Nor can I think of anyone I'd look to for marriage or living together.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215027 - 10/14/11 01:50 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
That's exactly how I feel.

#215040 - 10/15/11 01:34 PM Re: Newlyweds Ages [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

This morning I found myself thinking about this thread, realizing we discussed the very same topic a while ago. I think
Chatty started that discussion. So I apologize for rehashing
the same subject. Now and again, I forget to remember!!! lol...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved