The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212505 - 05/03/11 01:44 AM How Long should one suffer?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My question is how long should a man or woman stay in a bad marriage if they have the tools needed to leave it? My nown mother, married at eighteen stayed in here abusive marriage for almost 26 years until we kids urged/insisted that she get free. She did, never looked back and was never happier, and still is! I stayed in mine for 6 long years and he is still an albatross around my neck to this day...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#212515 - 05/03/11 02:48 AM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Oh Chatty! You have asked a hugely difficult question. I do not think there could possibly be a simple answer. IMHO the answer depends on so many different situations... I am sure every marriage is built on a unique set of circumstances.

Of course, it would be best if one never entered into an abusive marriage in the first place... But I guess we don't teach kids enough about how to choose a good marriage partner for THAT wish to ever happen...

Edited by Anne Holmes (05/03/11 02:50 AM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212878 - 05/14/11 05:58 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I had friends who were married 25 years and would not get a
divorce because their estate holdings were huge. Neither person wanted to split the assets; both have gone to be with The Lord
in recent years. Some people stay because of the children. Had another woman not forced the issue, I'd probably still be wed to
my lying, cheating ex. So I don't have an answer. I guess you take it until you can't take it any longer. Who knows?

#212881 - 05/14/11 10:38 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Quote:
Had another woman not forced the issue, I'd probably still be wed to my lying, cheating ex.

I'm with you, Jabber. I did not want to put my kids, who were 5 and 2 at the time, through a divorce, so I probably would have stayed with my ex even though I was pretty darn sure he was cheating. (His job, which had him out of town half the time, made it easy for him to cheat.) We saw a marriage counselor, instead, which did no good. He lied to the counselor, too...

So instead, I went back to work -- I'd happily become a stay-at-home mom when my daughter was born -- so I'd have some money of my own, but it wasn't really enough to allow me to support myself in the manner to which I'd become accustomed, so I didn't take any action to separate at that time.

It took my ex's then girlfriend moving to town, and his installing her in the apartment complex we'd lived in prior to buying a house, before I finally took action to file for divorce.

And then, if you can believe it, he even had the nerve to suggest that the girlfriend use the same daycare provider we were using, so there was always a chance I'd run into her when I went to pick up the kids...

Well, that's all in the past... Long story short is that the girlfriend moved to town, we divorced, five years later I met and married Steve, and we all agreed on joint custody of the kids. (I wanted them to know their father, so I didn't press for sole custody, though my divorce lawyer thought I was crazy.)

My ex did not marry the girlfriend. Eventually she moved away, though she came back to help him a year or so later, when he was diagnosed with non-Hodgekin's lymphoma.

Three years after Steve and I married -- so 8 years after the divorce -- my ex died.

Lord knows, I never would have wished him to die so young, especially of such a gruesome disease. But I've always kind of wondered if it was God's punishment for the way my ex treated me...

Edited by Anne Holmes (05/14/11 10:46 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212885 - 05/15/11 04:44 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

You do wonder: His Word says God fights our battles if we let Him. The woman my ex left me for, now has inoperable cancer. A couple enemies, I didn't know I had, have died; some are in circumstances where a little peace in the valley would a welcomed thing; and the biggest devil of all, has been so busy trying to flatten me, she'll surely show her demonic side one of these days.

#212890 - 05/15/11 11:01 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Wow, Jabber, that is hugely impactful information.

I have never shared with anyone else my thoughts that tied my ex's death to the way he wronged me. I've thought about telling others of it, but I always worried people would think I was nutty. But your stories powerfully corroborate my personal experience.

Anyone else have stories they can share about God fighting their battles for them?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212905 - 05/17/11 12:54 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
IMO this is probably too touchy of a subject for very many folks.
But deep in my heart I don't think it ever pays to try an
avenage the injustices other people have done to you. Life has a way of equalizing everything.

#212959 - 05/19/11 02:02 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

"How Long Should One Suffer?" Don't suffer. Life is too short!
In a toxic relationship? Let it go!!!

#213376 - 06/11/11 10:59 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I agree one hundred percent jabber. Life is too darn short to have to suffer at all at someone elses hands.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#213406 - 06/13/11 10:31 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I'd love to read more stories in which God fights their battles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved