The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#206837 - 08/14/10 03:14 PM Re: Fired [Re: Anno]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm so sorry to hear this, Mustang. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but do apply for unemployment as soon as possible. You can also get COBRA on the health insurance, which is partially subsidized if you're unemployed.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#206854 - 08/15/10 02:16 AM Re: Fired [Re: yonuh]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Thanks gals. I was told that I'd hear from HR on Monday. If insurance, than you bet your bunnies I'll arrange for whatever available, i.e., physical, dental cleaning, etc.

I applied for unemployment on Friday - an hour after I was let go. I had to check the block terminated (catch all block) b/c I was not technically laid off.

Gosh, sure do hope I do get it. I'll need it.

Edited by MustangGal (08/15/10 02:17 AM)

#206866 - 08/15/10 11:45 PM Re: Fired [Re: Anno]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Mustang Gal,

You are getting good advice from the others who have answered before me. I am writing you due to the fact that I can speak from the point of view of an EMPLOYER.

They will not fight your unemployment claim, and as others have said, you ought to have COBRA (or state continuation, which is what it is called when you work for a smaller firm) which means you have the right to continue your health insurance for a number of months -- probably 6 to 9 depending on what state you are in.

It is costly for an employer to hire someone and fail to train them -- and then have to let them go in such a short period of time as you experienced.

I am slow to hire, as I don't want to make those sorts of mistakes. In other words, I might bring someone on as a contractor to work on a project for a short period of time as a way to assess whether the new person "fits" with the current staff. Had they done that, you would not yet have benefits. But since they didn't, everyone is correct that both your prior employer AND this most recent employer will have legal liability for you - and no choice on that, given the circumstances you describe.

Good hunting for a new job. The teleseminar we did last week with "Feisty" -- Mary Eileen Williams -- was chock full of great ideas on how to find a job in this economy. I'll get the recording uploaded soon --and meanwhile, you might want to look for her new book -- "How to Land the Job You Love."

After all, that's the kind of job you really want, right?

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206875 - 08/16/10 11:25 AM Re: Fired [Re: Anne Holmes]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Anne, thank you.

#206893 - 08/16/10 08:09 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

HR never did call and I don't trust them.

#206905 - 08/17/10 02:12 AM Re: Fired [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I had a motto when working out of my home and in an noffice that was: TRUST NO ONE
That worked for me. I loved being out of the office so made sure those were mostly the jobs I got. I sold newspaper advertising and only popped into the office to drop off my drafts, paperwork. I was the mystery woman kind of and didn't bother with anyone but my boss. I hated office politics and spoke my mind which wasn't good in some most with the clicks and their leaders. BAD CHATTY!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#206906 - 08/17/10 02:25 AM Re: Fired [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Yeah, thats a good policy Chatty - I've a mind to take it into effect immediately. Thanks!

#206919 - 08/17/10 07:40 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

HR did not call me yesterday as promised. So, I called them and no answer and I was unable to leave a message.

They say no news is good news. Yet, this is a law firm and they do lie.

Guess all I can do is sit back and wait.

Have phone interview next week the unemployment. Anyone any advise as to what to say, limit conversation to facts, etc. Prepare bullet statements for verbal responses?

#207026 - 08/22/10 11:22 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
How did things go with unemployment, mustanggal? I've been thinking of you and hope you are starting to see some light at the end of this tunnel you have been thrown into,

#207128 - 08/27/10 05:17 PM Re: Fired [Re: greene]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Greene, thank you for your kind thoughts, I was glad to see your post today.

Well this is how it went:

Basically I provided the requested information and was told the following reply of employer:

- (employee) did not meet job expectations
- (employee) did not meet 90-day introductory period
- employer did not provide specifics
- we (employer) do not wish to contest the unemployment benefits
- no misconduct involved
- (employer) has no intention of filing an appeal

Now it is up to the adjuticator and will be "sent up" today (8/25). The burden of proof is on the employer; yet, the employer did not provide specific reasons and
I was not dismissed for good cause (theft, bad behavior, etc.).

I was told that my reason on the unemployment application for dismissal was "let go" and "not a good fit". Also, that I left my prior employer under good faith and did not anticipate this to happen. The decision will take 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm so worried. I'd really like to find a job or two (2). It would be nice if I could find a nice low key day job w/ little or no stress and work at a shop/store at night weekends.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved