The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#207561 - 09/09/10 04:15 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Good luck there, Mustang. Hope you find a job you're happy with!

#207748 - 09/16/10 09:54 PM Re: Fired [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I've an interview tomorrow, September 17th, wish me well.

The lady who is my pet sitter mentor, has not had any work for me for 2 weeks and yet she wants to introduce me to her clients. I need benefits and she does not offer benefits. She said I'd need to find a job with benefits and somehow work in AM, noon, and PM sitting. Or, dip into my savings and retirment. I'm 44 and don't want to touch any of my accounts if at possible. She said even if I went out on my own, I'd have to dip into some type of savings until the clientale built up. She is in her early 60's and closer to retirment than I.

Gosh, I'd hate it that I don't get the job tomorrow and she knows that I need benefits and now does not want me to work with her.

The interview tomorrow is for a temp to full time position through a temp agency I've contracted with.

I've applied for 20+ jobs and only 1 interview scheduled.

#207752 - 09/16/10 10:31 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Good luck Mustang,

There are resources available for those of us who are self employed which allow us to get benefits like health insurance. But if course, this means your net pay is less because you have to pay those things yourself. Let me know if you decide to become an independent contractor, which is what she is talking about, and need to find your own benefits.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207813 - 09/18/10 07:47 PM Re: Fired [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Good luck Mustang..do consider learning and picking up a brand new skill to complement/supplement your existing skills/expertise during this time.

I'm looking as well --for paid work. All the work related to blogging is unpaid. But at least I'm finding it satisfying on different fronts while learning something new at the same time.

I do view blogging as an add-on skill to other skills that I have already. In fact, in the world of information management it is now expected of graduating librarians to know database design, research, basic web design, blog design & blogging, group training, etc. in addition to management (we take mandatory courses for latter in our program).

It's alot. But a person keeps on learning and remaining "fresh".

Think how you could reapply your paralegal skills in a different way. Some of the social agencies and govn't., might need people like you who aren't lawyers, but have strong knowledge of the legal system and legal processes.

#207817 - 09/18/10 10:56 PM Re: Fired [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Thanks Orchid and Anne. Unfortunately i did not get the temp position, apparantly i'm overqualified or underqualified to be a receptionist. I'm going to meet with a VA rep to discuss my resume and options soon.

#207821 - 09/19/10 04:01 AM Re: Fired [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Since I'm from Canada I'm not sure what is a VA rep.

But the Canadian federal govn't provides services to assist the unemployed in our country, with resume writing, interviewing techniques and skills reassessment. I even got videotaped to see my communication style. It was illuminating. It was all excellent support and advice..for free if one meets specific elgibility requirements. The participant is expected to actively participate in small group workshops. The service includes use of public computers to print off job ads, resumes, etc. Very helpful. (Computer printer ink for home is expensive after all....) The whole process is important because it's too easy to become isolated and become quite depressed.

Try something like this Mustang. If nothing else you will meet a whole range of people.

#207823 - 09/19/10 12:06 PM Re: Fired [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

My state has the same, but b/c I have a graduate degree I qualify for less support systems. Their thinking is that b/c I have a grad degree I'm not as destitute as those with less of an education. Seems to be an oxymoron to me.

I am enrolled in Crossroads Career Network with a local church which is a 11-week course which is a faith-based job search and career transition resources. About 2/3s of the class is unemployed, while the other is underemployed or wanting a career change. A few are happily employed.

The class is free and facilitated with volunteers, one of which is a VA (Veteran's Affairs) rep in the neighboring county. She agrees that my VA rep is lazy and she has invited me to her office for assistance.

Also, I will contact the Goodwill office to assist with same. I would not mind working for Goodwill b/c they have a good working environment and benefits. However, the pay is not good and does not cover all the bills.

#207841 - 09/19/10 08:26 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Orchid, I'm sorry that you're looking for work, too.

There are 3 or 4 jobs I want to apply for, yet I feel that my resume looks like poo poo. I'd really like to work for a vet clinic and just found the below ad dated September 14th and could just kick myself in the but for not having seen it earlier. Yet, I just don't know how to redesign and cater my resume to fit such a need to be a candidate.

"Rewarding position as a part-time or full-time vet receptionist available in a small animal hospital located in the West Columbia area striving to provide affordable, quality health care to our faithful companions. We are currently seeking eager upbeat learners to join our team. Candidates should be outgoing, hardworking, computer literate, be adept at multi-tasking efficiently, and demonstrate a sincere desire to exceed our clientele’s expectations. Experience is preferred but willing to train. Some of your required duties will be to greet our clients and pets in a warm and welcoming manner, directing and maintaining the flow of the patients while in the hospital, answering the telephone in a cheerful manner, scheduling appointments, and medical record upkeep. The hours are 7:30-6 pm Monday through Friday and Saturdays 8-12:30 pm, dependable transportation is a must. We are a smoke free facility. You will be required to pass a basic skills test. Please do not call. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of pets then Email your resume/qualifications and a cover letter describing your interest"

#207845 - 09/19/10 08:58 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Job searching: such is life.

You might want to check if they would still consider resumes at this time.

You would have to retool your resume in areas of communication skills, animal husbandry, organization, multi-tasking, etc. You get the drift. smile

It takes a long time on the lst major revision to redesign a resume. Then it has to be in a format so that one can copy and paste into online databases that hiring company may require of applicants.

I'm also commenting from the perspective as having screened resumes and interviewed applicants in some of my former jobs.

#207874 - 09/20/10 06:33 PM Re: Fired [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I have a job interview Thursday morning with a law firm and although the pay is lower, I'd be inclined to accept. Also, no benefits until 1 year of employment. Yet, if it seems to be less stressful then it may be worthwhile.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved