The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#20752 - 11/06/05 12:37 AM Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I'm 46 and I was wondering if brain blocks are caused by premenopause. The other morning, I was out on my walk and I always pray some memorized prayers before my more spontaneous ones. I got to the Our Father and I could not get past the first line!! I pray this all the time, but I totally blocked it out. I literally had to keep starting it over "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name"...blank...I had to do it at least 7 times before I could remember! I was getting frantic.
Is this "normal"??

#20753 - 11/06/05 12:55 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't know if it's "normal", but it's happened to me too. With the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm which I have loved and used in meditation for most of my life. But some mornings, I can't remember the words to either one of them. So I just make up my own.

I've had some very devastating brainfogs in the past few years, but the worst one was when I went to introduce my hubby to someone and blanked out on HIS (hubby's) name! That was horrible.

A few years ago, and for quite a few years, I played piano in the church choir. I've been playing piano since I was 9 years old and while not a virtuoso by any means, could play fairly complicated pieces with very little problem. But one Sunday morning I was in the middle of playing a piece that I knew well, and all of a sudden blanked out on how to play the piano. I didn't know where the next note was on the keyboard, or the next note, or the next note. It was devastating...I had to play about 1-2 minutes of it using only one finger. The rest of the choir couldn't figure out what was going on, but covered for me. I had to take a deep breath, pray for the Holy Spirit to help, and reminded myself that all of that knowledge was somewhere inside of me still...finally it came back and I was able to play the rest of the music just fine.

It happened a few more times in Church (and at choir practice as well) and I finally had to quit and let someone else take over the keyboards. It was embarrassing, frustrating, bewildering and frightening. And it's gotten worse. But I refuse to give up playing the piano, even though I still blank out about half-way through many of my old, favourite pieces...but I can no longer play in public.

#20754 - 11/06/05 12:57 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Well Western,

Are you under some stress? I suppose we all are, but I mean unusual stress?

I remember that when I had Nichole at home, my son, my house, my animals, my huge yard, all the cooking to do, the banking , the grocieries, the cleaning, the the decorating, the holidays , and of course the gardens, PLUS going to graduate school, my sister used to say, "Maybe you should see a doctor, you can't remember the simplest things". Then she went back to college at age 50 or so and pretty soon I was saying , see? You can't remember a darned thing either!!!

Stress will do that. Before you head to the doctor, think about what's going on in your life. But if things are pretty normal, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a professional's advice. But how many times has this happened? If it's just once, oh well, we just have "brain stalls" or even a couple of times...More than 3 and I would evaluate my life, see what's up, and if that doesn't answer the question, then I would go see someone.

Let me know k?

Search

#20755 - 11/06/05 01:06 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Eagle,

I am worried about you. If something like this changes your life - you've given up playing in the choir? I think this is more than mere passing...Could it be medication? I would love to hear that you have seen a professional about this. Please keep me advised.

Search

#20756 - 11/06/05 01:46 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Searcher, I guess it has happened several times over the last few years, but that doesn't seem "often" to me. I am really good with phone numbers, I can memorize them instantly and remember than almost forever. A couple of times, when I was trying to call my mom (probably when she had cancer) I got the numbers mixed up and it took me a while to remember it correctly. But then something clicked and I came up with it.

#20757 - 11/06/05 04:06 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Well, Western,

If you are not worried, then neither am I. But if this worries you, I suggest that you seek some professional advice. When we "worry" I believe our bodies are telling us something...and we should listen.

Search

#20758 - 11/06/05 04:16 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Searcher, thanks for the concern. I've mentioned these blank-outs many times to both the doctor at the time of this choir incident and to my new doctor...both eventually just blamed it on stress and/or perimenopause.

We moved to a new province about a year after that choir incident. After being in various church choirs almost continuously since I was 6 years old, I decided when we moved here to take a break and be a listener for a change. And since my breakdown in 2002, the continuing fatigue has made it impossible to do anything that involves regular presence and functionality. I'm very okay with that now and have found good new ways to be who I am now, including being here on an addictive basis. [Big Grin] What helps make this a great place for me is that I don't have to worry about blanking out on people's names!

#20759 - 11/06/05 04:28 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Eagle,

I am glad to know that you have discussed this with others...I'm ok if you're ok. And maybe you NEEDED a break - I can't imagine doing anything since I was 6 years old....No wonder you had your breakdown - and really, I'm thinking your body was saying "I've had enough" and just refused to let you remember. Convenient. And smart.

#20760 - 11/06/05 04:50 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Searcher, what you say makes sense except that I LOVED being in the choir. Choir, and especially that particular choir, would have been one of my favourite passions back then. And it wasn't the same choir experience all those years. Junior choir, handbell choir, adult choir, folk choir (with guitars, bongo drums and maracas - hippie Mass), etc.

The choir I was in when this piano incident occurred was one of my favourites...the practices were such fun...we'd practice the Sunday stuff for about 30 minutes and spend the next couple of hours jamming or practising for other events we often sang at. We had acoustic and base guitars, flutes, synthesizer (that's what I played), pipe organ, small percussion, and even a trumpet or trombone at special events.

The blank-out happened several years before my breakdown, so I don't think they were related. The breakdown came after several years of enduring an impossibly heavy workload involving extensive overtime (all day, many late nights, weekends and even call-backs from vacation) at my last job...the deaths of Dad and Mom so close together being the final straw. Now THAT breakdown was definitely my body and mind saying "I can't do this anymore".

Those choir days - and friendships - were some of my happiest years of my life. It was a painful decision to quit, although I usually sat right beside the choir at church after quitting, and still got invited to the ceilidhs and Christmas parties. That choir even made a CD a few years ago...it's one of my favourites.

Ahhhh, nice memories.

#20761 - 11/06/05 05:07 AM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Searcher, you're such a kind soul.
Eagle, I am hoping that the brain blocks, delays or in my case, re-routes(is that a word?)are indeed peri-menopausal symptoms.

Westernbluebird, When I made an appt with my Dr.last week, I gave the receptionist my old phone number...from 7 years ago!! When she questioned it, I said "see, that's what I mean...confusion, alot of confusion...can you get me in earlier." You know, she didn't question it and my Dr. didn't call to see if I was ok...Geez.
Eagle I think and hope with us it is pausler symptoms. I'll let you know what the Doc tells me on the 22nd.
Wish I could hear you play...got any way to upload?

chick

#20762 - 11/06/05 11:31 PM Re: Brain blocks
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Bluebird
It's a good thing we don't live in colonial times as inability to recite the Our father was one sign of a witch-
But seriously I think doctor's are much too quick to blame all our symptoms on menopause or peri-meno. When I was all upset because my toes were numb and crying in the dr's office because my one year older brother just had a stroke and I thought this was mine he put me on Zoloft , took a blood test and told me to come back in a month to check my medication- dumb me listened- a month later I was a zonked out zombie still with no feeling in my toes and "cured" as only menopausal- so I suffered 9 months til I could hardly walk because I was mad and stubborn and ended up with spinal decompression surgery.
So please get a checkup but I know I get foggy too- Eagle I once called my husband by my Ex's name as I was mad and couldn't find words-not good

#20763 - 11/07/05 08:45 AM Re: Brain blocks
Dreamer Offline

Heaven knows I get what I call "Brain Lock" fairly often and always at the most embarrasing times - I definitely believe menopause has something to do with it; however, stress and tension play a large part in it, too. And I find the more I worry about it, the worse it gets. If I am fully focused I rarely experience a memory glitch, but if there is a lot on my mind and my attention wanders (I am terrible about this!) it happens a lot!

I personally feel there is so much information for us to process every day from so many sources, and we try to do so many things in a day that we are often on mental/intellectual overload and this is a natural response! It's annoying, but everyone I know seems to experience the same thing from time to time!

We need to learn to 'chill' a little, relax and try not to put so much pressure on ourselves - far easier said than done.

The wonderful thing is we have each other to talk to about this, and so much more - I am so very thankful to have found all of you. Thank you, Dotsie.

#20764 - 11/07/05 07:01 PM Re: Brain blocks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dreamer, you are very welcome. It brings me tremendous pleasure.
Now what was the topic?

[Big Grin] [Razz]

#20765 - 11/08/05 08:28 AM Re: Brain blocks
Dreamer Offline

Topic? Huh?

#20766 - 11/08/05 01:04 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Now why did I come in this room??? [Wink]

#20767 - 11/08/05 08:27 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Ok, It's my turn to admit.

Here's the problem. I used to be such a good speller. I just somehow "knew" how to spell words. I think I just read so much that the words were stamped on my memory.

It's a different story now. Some of you know that I was whining so much about my spelling that Danita SENT me a dictionary....Yep. It came in the mail. Said, "Searcher, I found your dictionary....It was looking for you also!!!". Pitiful. And now I have to use a magnifying glass to see the entries!!?@#$@#!@@!!! Woe is me.

A little seriously tho', I LOOK at the words I write, and they just don't look right. I think, that's not how you spell that word, is it? I swear. And that's just not right.........

Search

#20768 - 11/08/05 09:18 AM Re: Brain blocks
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Searcher,

I'm with you! What blows my mind is that even my fingers have forgotten how to spell words. I look at something I have written and my fingers have written the wrong form of a word. Come hear. NOOOOOOO! Come here!

wat is rong with me????

hugs to ya sista!

d.

#20769 - 11/08/05 11:14 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

OMG Danita,

How funny ARE you? And I have no idea what's wrong with you 'cause I don't know what's wrong with me!!!!! Didn't I tell you I left my phone in the CAR????

#20770 - 11/08/05 02:32 PM Re: Brain blocks
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
These brain freezes happen to me too..but usually when I am stressed out..my kids laugh because I will say.."honey..please turn the oven on in the powder room"..but now they know I mean the kitchen and one of them will say..."Mom, what are you stressed out about today?" It makes me angry when I forget words and I feel old..but everyone I talk to say it happens to them once in a while too...we just all have so much on our minds...it's a shame we just can't add space on our brains the way we can with our computers... [Big Grin]

#20771 - 11/09/05 10:49 PM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Posting here so not to cover up posts.The results are in...the Doc says I am definitely menopausal...like I didn't know.
I have the brain freeze plus I broke out in sores...yes, I went ballistic yesterday and zipped over to her office. I couldn't wait for my appointment on the 22nd. I imagined everything in the world and when checked, my BP and heart rate were way up there(first time for that too). Turns out, I have eczema. Eczema? Anyone have this happen in menopause? skritch, skritch. [Eek!]
chick

#20772 - 11/09/05 11:39 PM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Chick,
Did your doc actually say the brain-freeze is menopausal? Good for you to go right over with those sores. My face is a constant mess...it's beyond horrible the last two days, but just the right cheek which is baffling. Believe me, I've looked at every possible cause I can think of. After months of avoiding and/or fasting from every one of those possible causes, and trying just about every remedy available, I'm leaning heavily towards it being hormonal...and looking forward to my full medical checkup at the end of the month.

Eczema is nasty. I have extremely dry skin, which makes me itch and flake constantly, no matter how much moisturizer I try slapping on throughout the day. It's not eczema...someone here suggested that constant dry skin is symptomatic of hypothyroidism, which I'm getting check at my medical. Did you get any special cream for the eczema? I hope it's easing off. Try not to scratch!

#20773 - 11/10/05 12:03 AM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Eagle...ahhh...I forgot to ask. Geesh...I will on the 22nd. I'll write that down,hah.
She gave me Elidel to mix with hydrocortozoneyweweug(spell, lol) and Ambien CR to help me sleep(at night). The Ambien did as much good as a tootsie roll.
I have the Eczema on my face, neck and Boobs, of all places. I really think it is a reaction to hot flashes and sweating in those areas (not to be gross). I can't shower after every hot flash cause I'd have to stand in the shower all day.
Chatty mentioned having a positive attitude while going thru menopause. I do. I am positive, I am going crazy. I am positive I have every medical condition known. I am positive I...gee I forgot.
Hang in ther pausler. I'm wih ya! We'll get thru this even if it kills us...or someone else.

A note...I feel like I am multiple personality and talk to myselves...Menopause is a strange friend!

chick(s) [Wink]

#20774 - 11/10/05 12:08 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by chickadee:
Hang in ther pausler. I'm wih ya! We'll get thru this even if it kills us...or someone else.

A note...I feel like I am multiple personality and talk to myselves...Menopause is a strange friend!

Uh, Chick, who's "pausler"...is she/he one of your "selves"?

#20775 - 11/10/05 12:11 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Talk to myselves!!!LOL [Big Grin] Good one!!

#20776 - 11/10/05 05:30 AM Re: Brain blocks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I use to say this to my ex when he said I had a split personality....."Yea, well I have multiple personalities and none of them like you." [Eek!]

#20777 - 11/10/05 08:47 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Ok. Now I know I'm nuts.

'cause I'm agreeing with everything you people are saying (I was gonna say guys but I am feelling this is a politically incorrect term in these forums) and I'm sure you're nuts. At least one of me thinks so.

Eczema has been a foe of mine for ummmmm - well, I had it BAD when I was a kid - used to "skritch" (what a GREAT word Chick) (no, the P
EERFECT word) (and kinda sounds like a Chick) my arms to bleeding. Then it went away for ohhhh, 30 years. Now it's back. I have on boobs, on face, on well, everywhere. I notice it has to do with stress. I personally just ignore it the best I can. One thing I've found that works is just too stupid. I am the QUEEN of the Dollar Store and I found and anti-itch cream for G knows what, but I thought it would be a good thing to have around, so I bought it. Tried it one night on my eczema, and lo and behold, it worked! Now whenever I have the slightest "skritch" I run for the anti-itch stuff and it stops it in it's tracks, Go figure...But for a buck, go give it a try.

#20778 - 11/10/05 11:27 PM Re: Brain blocks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Gotta love those dollar store hon! Go back and buy them out. It's the kind of thing that you may never find again.

#20779 - 11/11/05 12:24 AM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Searcher...exactly what is the name of this cream? I'll try anything. What the Dr ordered makes it itch more. Maybe we need to buy it up and repackage for 'miracle cream?'

Chatty, I bet your X didn't like 'you's' very much, huh?

chick

#20780 - 11/11/05 02:42 AM Re: Brain blocks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Funny thing about that Chickadee when I loved him madly he treated me like an itch (keeping with the subject) then when I got mad and treated him the same way, he wanted to make nice. It went on and on like that, on and off again until I had had enough and kicked him to the curb and he still wants to come back and won;t leave me alone, Go figure!!! Too late because "WE ALL" hate him....LOL [Big Grin]

#20781 - 11/11/05 02:49 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Should we be calling you Chatty Ladies?? Or are some of "youse" quiet? ( I doubt it....) [Razz]

#20782 - 11/11/05 04:13 AM Re: Brain blocks
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Nope we are all Chatty but the miraculous thing is we all have different takes on the same subject, so you see I really am objective, it's the others you never know about.... [Big Grin]

#20783 - 11/11/05 04:18 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Well I think that flew right over my head!! I do have a bird brain, ya know!!

#20784 - 11/11/05 07:07 PM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Chatty 'youse' is crazy, tee hee.
Bluebird, I have a bird brain too.
Searcher, what's the name of that cream hun? I'm skritched to pieces here. [Frown]
chick

#20785 - 11/11/05 07:30 PM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Chick,

I posted this wherever we were talking about it before - but it's Anti-itch Cream. Comes in a white tube with red lettering. Also was one called Stop Itch. But I got several different kinds and they all worked. I ususally go to ONLY A DOLLAR, but I know others have them too. Try a few! My ears are skritching right now - gotta go find that stuff.....

#20786 - 11/11/05 07:44 PM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

You posted it under brain blocks? How fitting for me...ahh..hah.
Thanks Searcher.
chick

#20787 - 11/12/05 12:06 AM Re: Brain blocks
Dreamer Offline

Benadryl Gel works really fast and does a great job, too!

#20788 - 11/12/05 10:04 PM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Thanks ladies. I'm going to try all of them until I get something that works for me.

I have a definition for "my" menopause -

Stressed to death...when I don't have a darn thing to worry about! [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

chick

#20789 - 11/15/05 06:00 AM Re: Brain blocks
ladybug Offline

Bluebird, tonite while I was doing my walk I started reciting the Our Father and forgot it!!!!!!!! I've done that with the Hail Mary too. I just think it's a pretty normal thing and nothing to worry about.

#20790 - 11/15/05 09:59 PM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Uh oh...according to Pattyann, if we lived in the middle ages, we'd be burned at the stake for not knowing the Lord's Prayer! Guess they didn't know about "mental"pause back then... [Big Grin]

#20791 - 11/15/05 10:04 PM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by chickadee:
I have a definition for "my" menopause -

Stressed to death...when I don't have a darn thing to worry about!

Chick, I missed this one! I'd have to call that the perfect description for me too! It boggles me that I could be so anxious and stressed when there's absolutely nothing going on to be worried about! Where does it come from????

Dotsie's suggestion for the "Gratitude Journal" is working wonders for me. It really is making a dent in my anxiety and negativity. Hasn't done anything for my brain block yet, but...

...I forgot what I was going to say.

#20792 - 11/16/05 12:46 AM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Oh Eagle, if you and I lived closer, we could 'fret' together. I have a feeling we would laugh our buns off just talking about stuff. Tell me more about this gratitude journal, earth sister.
I forget my prayers too at times girls, nice to know I'm not alone...
chick

#20793 - 11/16/05 01:32 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Chick, I have a beautiful journal that I used to write in so faithfully. Until hubby came into my life and turned it upside down (in a good way). I didn't have as much free time to sit and write (I need really good chunks of time to do the kind of journalling that I love to do). Eventually my journalling crawled to about 2, maybe 3 entries a year! Then the interval was so long (2 years!) that I gave up trying to catch up.

Then Dotsie suggested starting a "Gratitude Journal", where I write about the gifts, excitement and blessings of each day. So I turned my journal into the gratitude journal. It's quick, thought-provoking and puts me in a positive frame of mind...helps me to focus on the positive and good in my life instead of dwelling on what's missing. It's changing the way I think and see things. I've been working hard to change my thinking (changed thinking changes everything). This is helping tremendously. I'd highly recommend it!

#20794 - 11/16/05 07:10 PM Re: Brain blocks
ladybug Offline

Bluebird, when you finally get into "mental pause" you'll feel like you ARE burning at the stake. LOL!!!!!!!!!

#20795 - 11/17/05 08:37 AM Re: Brain blocks
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
In the course of my readings, can't remember where (sound familiar) that menopause comes on pretty suddenly, and when it leaves it leaves the same way. Any one here know this to be true?

Worst ever symptom for me is insomnia. Think if I could get the rest I needed, the other symptoms would be manageable. Stress and anxiety are lined up behind insomnia.

So far I tried Sleeptime tea, warm milk, warm bath, Tylenol p.m., occasional xanax, saw a doctor near my home for a UTI a few weeks ago he recommended trazodone...would need to check with my regular GP before taking. Any one heard of this for sleep? If so did it work for you?
Also, if you have any insight for a good night's sleep....please share.

Was UTI a problem for any of you during memo?...this is my second within 2 months.

Is it really true that menopause could last for up to 15 years for some women? If, you are beyond menopause...please share the amount of time it took for menopause to move on.

As for memory loss...
Called the vet the other day...poor Bridgett itching with allergies. No kidding, they answer the phone...all the sudden I forgot what I had even called for. Had to ask for them to hold for a moment, until it came to me.

#20796 - 11/16/05 09:14 PM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Brenda, I had a bad stretch of insomnia for about 2 years, but I don't think it was menopause-related. It was debilitating, and affected everything else. I didn't want to resort to meds except as a last resort. The one thing I discovered could ALWAYS put me to sleep was praying the rosary. No kidding! I've never been able to make it all the way through the rosary if I say it in bed. The other thing I did that didn't put me to sleep, but helped me to see the insomnia differently, was I started praying for everyone I could think of (I didn't get out of bed, I prayed while still lying awake in bed). I'd pray for each family member, friend, people I'd read about in the paper or heard about on the news. I got to the point where I was praying about 2-3 hours a night. The amazing thing is that after awhile I began to really look forward to that time. Instead of tossing and turning and fretting about not being able to sleep, I began to cherish those hours as a chance to be a "voice in God's ear" for a lot of people who don't have a voice or don't know how to use their voice. It ended up becoming a very intimate, spiritually-refreshing time, and eventually I'd fall asleep and wake up feeling as refreshed as a person with CFS can feel.

It might not work for everyone, and might not alleviate the frustration. But I figure that it turns a negative stress into a positive blessing.

I don't have too much insomnia anymore, and I kind of miss that extra prayer time! But whenever I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, I start going through my list of people to pray for and next thing I know, I've fallen asleep! So it works like a charm for me now. I know you love to pray for people, so even if it doesn't ease your frustration at not getting enough sleep, it would at least turn those toss-n-turn hours into prayer time...there's lots of us here who need (or have loved ones who need) those extra prayers!

[ November 16, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#20797 - 11/16/05 11:46 PM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Brenda, my Dr. gave me a few samples of Ambien last week. I was better off taking M'nM's. I see mornings and lie down around 7:30 AM. Not every day. I will let you know what she gives me next week. (I am not a pill taker, hate them).
Eagle, you mentioned the rosary. Growing up in Newfoundland and Catholic, the Rosary was as common after dinner(supper) as a cup of coffee. We would finish the Rosary at our house, and sometimes we'd go to our friends house and run right into it again. All we could do was kneel down and join in. Maybe I will try this Eagle.
chick

#20798 - 11/16/05 11:57 PM Re: Brain blocks
yepthatsme2 Offline

Each night before turning the lights out, I read from my bible. Read on and on until my eyes are so tired they are slamming shut.
Soon as that light goes out...BAM, my eyes are wide open.

Thanks, for sharing what worked for you. Will try bending God's ear a bit more.
I'm all for turning a negative stress into a blessing.

#20799 - 11/17/05 12:13 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Chick, I didn't grow up Catholic, but joined in early 20's. The rosary took some getting used to...especially during Lent when, like you said, one kept running into it everywhere. Somedays it was impossible to get anything done (or eaten!) if I visited too many of my Catholic friends along the way!

I can't say that I ever understood it, being someone who's always preferred to create my own prayers using words that come out of my own heart and experience. I ended up adapting the Rosary somewhat by using each of the beads to pray for someone specific. I loved the feel of those beads in my pocket - and still sleep with a Rosary under my pillow...I just love falling asleep with that tiny cross in my hand.

So I did eventually find a serenity in praying the Rosary...and a surefire way to put myself to sleep!

#20800 - 11/17/05 12:27 AM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

I have my Mom's Rosary Beads...time to put them in my hands instead of my treasure box...thanks.
There's enough beads for all I pray for, including you guys.
chick

[ November 16, 2005, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#20801 - 11/17/05 01:43 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

I used to try praying the rosary in bed, too.
Always made me fall asleep. I used to feel guilty but then I realized, you pray the rosary for peace, so of course it makes you so peaceful you sleep! I've heard people say that if you fall asleep praying it, Mary finishes it for you. I like that. Who could pray better than the Mother of Jesus?

#20802 - 11/17/05 06:06 AM Re: Brain blocks
AvalonBlondi Offline

Bluebird...
My first grade nun told me that the Blessed Mother finishes your rosary for you if you fall asleep..that has always been such a great comfort to me as I drift off to sleep..as a little girl I used to imagine Mary sitting on my bedside just waiting for me to drift off...now..maybe it's menopause...but i can get in 6 or 7 rosaries and I am still wide awake!!! What's the deal with that??? Anyway...you are the first person I have heard of to say that. [Smile] besides me...

#20803 - 11/17/05 07:01 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Avalon, we were having this discussion at my Bible fellowship last week and someone said it. I had remembered hearing it years ago. It is a beautiful picture, isn't it? I used to also feel bad if I prayed the rosary and was so distracted that I didn't think I was focusing on the mysteries. I had also remembered someone saying praying it was like handing Mary a bouquet of roses. Then I realized that when your child hands you a bunch of half dead dandelions, it's just as precious as red roses. So I figured even if my rosary looked like the dandelions, Our Mother would still treasure it.

#20804 - 11/17/05 11:05 AM Re: Brain blocks
AvalonBlondi Offline

Beautifully said Bluebird...after my last post I remember my mother telling me that if we sang the rosary the prayers would go straight to Mary's heart...maybe I'll start singing them again...can't hurt..right? [Wink]

#20805 - 11/17/05 07:44 PM Re: Brain blocks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Yep, my recommendation for insomnia is a hot bubble bath before bedtime. It relaxes the body, warms you up, and produces snuggly thoughts. Why not give it a whirl? I take one very night!

#20806 - 11/17/05 07:46 PM Re: Brain blocks
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, and about praying in the middle of the night...I recall being in a Bible study when I was nursing my youngest and still feeding my daughter bottles. Someone recommended praying while being awake in the night. It made a world of difference during those years. Instead of being antsy and frustrated about being awakened in the night, I began feeling so very blessed to have the opportunity to be awake in the middle of the night holding my little bundles. Perspective is everything!

#20807 - 11/18/05 08:41 AM Re: Brain blocks
yepthatsme2 Offline

You know Dotsie, last year I had a whirlpool tub placed in my bathroom. Pure heaven and I just love filling the tub with smelly goods and relaxing. Here lately I have had my share of UTI's, so my tub use has been non-existant lately.

As for the middle of the night praying...tried it last night. Found myself praying then all of
a sudden I'm asleep again.
Didn't even take a sleep pill...

#20808 - 11/17/05 09:02 PM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

LOL Brenda! I was awake for hours last night and for the first time in years, all my praying didn't help (well, it didn't help me fall asleep, but hopefully helped someone else somewhere in the world!)

But this time I can blame the insomnia on the few sips of coke I had around 7...I rarely drink cola after 5, but had a coughing fit here in the basement and the coke was the handiest. Stopped the cough but kept me awake for hours!

[ November 17, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#20809 - 11/18/05 01:23 AM Re: Brain blocks
yepthatsme2 Offline

Never drink Coke anymore but when I did anything after 3 p.m. kept me up.
Oh...and I so loved coke. [Frown]

#20810 - 11/22/05 11:37 PM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Still existing on 2 to 3 hrs sleep here. Mostly during the day. My Doc was sick today so I had to see the young male version.
He said' menopause won't kill you'. The male attendant said, 'get rid of the guns.' Sleeping pills, new cream, hormone therapy and a cortisone shot" Doc said. I said...yeah...I'll thin abbad it.
The young male Doc just didn't get where I was coming from. Not sure the young female Doc will either. What I need is a middle aged menopausal Dr...can we talk? Geesh!
I think skin should come with a zipper...today I am ready to jump out of mine!

chick

#20811 - 11/23/05 12:07 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

That's the one thing I do appreciate about my doctor. She may not be as proactive as I might prefer her to be, but she's my age, going through the same menopausal symptoms I'm experiencing, and even vacations at the same place in the Caribbean. I do end up doing a lot of my own research and investigation, but when I go in and ask her to follow up on some of the tests that are suggested either here or in the course of my research, she's happy to do it. She's often called me at home in the evening to either tell me the results of the tests or to add some more information that she's found in her own research.

I guess it took me awhile to recognize what a gift she is...because she wasn't so proactive, I often wondered if she was the right doctor for me, but given your experience, Chick, I think I'll hold on to mine!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved