The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 152 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#20752 - 11/06/05 12:37 AM Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I'm 46 and I was wondering if brain blocks are caused by premenopause. The other morning, I was out on my walk and I always pray some memorized prayers before my more spontaneous ones. I got to the Our Father and I could not get past the first line!! I pray this all the time, but I totally blocked it out. I literally had to keep starting it over "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name"...blank...I had to do it at least 7 times before I could remember! I was getting frantic.
Is this "normal"??

#20753 - 11/06/05 12:55 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't know if it's "normal", but it's happened to me too. With the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm which I have loved and used in meditation for most of my life. But some mornings, I can't remember the words to either one of them. So I just make up my own.

I've had some very devastating brainfogs in the past few years, but the worst one was when I went to introduce my hubby to someone and blanked out on HIS (hubby's) name! That was horrible.

A few years ago, and for quite a few years, I played piano in the church choir. I've been playing piano since I was 9 years old and while not a virtuoso by any means, could play fairly complicated pieces with very little problem. But one Sunday morning I was in the middle of playing a piece that I knew well, and all of a sudden blanked out on how to play the piano. I didn't know where the next note was on the keyboard, or the next note, or the next note. It was devastating...I had to play about 1-2 minutes of it using only one finger. The rest of the choir couldn't figure out what was going on, but covered for me. I had to take a deep breath, pray for the Holy Spirit to help, and reminded myself that all of that knowledge was somewhere inside of me still...finally it came back and I was able to play the rest of the music just fine.

It happened a few more times in Church (and at choir practice as well) and I finally had to quit and let someone else take over the keyboards. It was embarrassing, frustrating, bewildering and frightening. And it's gotten worse. But I refuse to give up playing the piano, even though I still blank out about half-way through many of my old, favourite pieces...but I can no longer play in public.

#20754 - 11/06/05 12:57 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Loc: boise
Well Western,

Are you under some stress? I suppose we all are, but I mean unusual stress?

I remember that when I had Nichole at home, my son, my house, my animals, my huge yard, all the cooking to do, the banking , the grocieries, the cleaning, the the decorating, the holidays , and of course the gardens, PLUS going to graduate school, my sister used to say, "Maybe you should see a doctor, you can't remember the simplest things". Then she went back to college at age 50 or so and pretty soon I was saying , see? You can't remember a darned thing either!!!

Stress will do that. Before you head to the doctor, think about what's going on in your life. But if things are pretty normal, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a professional's advice. But how many times has this happened? If it's just once, oh well, we just have "brain stalls" or even a couple of times...More than 3 and I would evaluate my life, see what's up, and if that doesn't answer the question, then I would go see someone.

Let me know k?

Search

#20755 - 11/06/05 01:06 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Eagle,

I am worried about you. If something like this changes your life - you've given up playing in the choir? I think this is more than mere passing...Could it be medication? I would love to hear that you have seen a professional about this. Please keep me advised.

Search

#20756 - 11/06/05 01:46 AM Re: Brain blocks
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Searcher, I guess it has happened several times over the last few years, but that doesn't seem "often" to me. I am really good with phone numbers, I can memorize them instantly and remember than almost forever. A couple of times, when I was trying to call my mom (probably when she had cancer) I got the numbers mixed up and it took me a while to remember it correctly. But then something clicked and I came up with it.

#20757 - 11/06/05 04:06 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Well, Western,

If you are not worried, then neither am I. But if this worries you, I suggest that you seek some professional advice. When we "worry" I believe our bodies are telling us something...and we should listen.

Search

#20758 - 11/06/05 04:16 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Searcher, thanks for the concern. I've mentioned these blank-outs many times to both the doctor at the time of this choir incident and to my new doctor...both eventually just blamed it on stress and/or perimenopause.

We moved to a new province about a year after that choir incident. After being in various church choirs almost continuously since I was 6 years old, I decided when we moved here to take a break and be a listener for a change. And since my breakdown in 2002, the continuing fatigue has made it impossible to do anything that involves regular presence and functionality. I'm very okay with that now and have found good new ways to be who I am now, including being here on an addictive basis. [Big Grin] What helps make this a great place for me is that I don't have to worry about blanking out on people's names!

#20759 - 11/06/05 04:28 AM Re: Brain blocks
Searcher Offline

Eagle,

I am glad to know that you have discussed this with others...I'm ok if you're ok. And maybe you NEEDED a break - I can't imagine doing anything since I was 6 years old....No wonder you had your breakdown - and really, I'm thinking your body was saying "I've had enough" and just refused to let you remember. Convenient. And smart.

#20760 - 11/06/05 04:50 AM Re: Brain blocks
Eagle Heart Offline

Searcher, what you say makes sense except that I LOVED being in the choir. Choir, and especially that particular choir, would have been one of my favourite passions back then. And it wasn't the same choir experience all those years. Junior choir, handbell choir, adult choir, folk choir (with guitars, bongo drums and maracas - hippie Mass), etc.

The choir I was in when this piano incident occurred was one of my favourites...the practices were such fun...we'd practice the Sunday stuff for about 30 minutes and spend the next couple of hours jamming or practising for other events we often sang at. We had acoustic and base guitars, flutes, synthesizer (that's what I played), pipe organ, small percussion, and even a trumpet or trombone at special events.

The blank-out happened several years before my breakdown, so I don't think they were related. The breakdown came after several years of enduring an impossibly heavy workload involving extensive overtime (all day, many late nights, weekends and even call-backs from vacation) at my last job...the deaths of Dad and Mom so close together being the final straw. Now THAT breakdown was definitely my body and mind saying "I can't do this anymore".

Those choir days - and friendships - were some of my happiest years of my life. It was a painful decision to quit, although I usually sat right beside the choir at church after quitting, and still got invited to the ceilidhs and Christmas parties. That choir even made a CD a few years ago...it's one of my favourites.

Ahhhh, nice memories.

#20761 - 11/06/05 05:07 AM Re: Brain blocks
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Searcher, you're such a kind soul.
Eagle, I am hoping that the brain blocks, delays or in my case, re-routes(is that a word?)are indeed peri-menopausal symptoms.

Westernbluebird, When I made an appt with my Dr.last week, I gave the receptionist my old phone number...from 7 years ago!! When she questioned it, I said "see, that's what I mean...confusion, alot of confusion...can you get me in earlier." You know, she didn't question it and my Dr. didn't call to see if I was ok...Geez.
Eagle I think and hope with us it is pausler symptoms. I'll let you know what the Doc tells me on the 22nd.
Wish I could hear you play...got any way to upload?

chick

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved