The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20735 - 10/11/05 05:29 AM Why is there air?
froggy Offline

Loc: maryland
Does anyone remember that Bill Cosby routine. Anyway, I recently passed the 40 mark and that year I really had a hardtime with, "What am I doing with my life? Is it important (enough)? What should I be doing? Am I missing out by not being involved in community events, clubs etc... which would be painful since I don't really like groups of people. Those thoughts left me for a while but then this weekend I felt the stinging wasp of doubt visit me again and again. Today I convinced myself that we only travel around life once and we should have as much happiness as possible. What are others life theorys?

#20736 - 10/11/05 05:43 AM Re: Why is there air?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
froggy, we all have doubts about one thing or another from time to time but you are correct in saying we should strive for as much happiness as possible. That Bill Cosby routine was hilarious and very close to the truth...

#20737 - 10/11/05 06:05 AM Re: Why is there air?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Froggy, you mentioned somewhere else that you are kind of a hermit and here you say you don't like large groups. Has anyone ever suggested you may be a Highly Sensitive Person, as talked about in the book of the same name by Elaine Aron? If you want to find out, you can visit the website and take a test. www.hsperson.com
BTW - welcome!

#20738 - 10/11/05 06:13 PM Re: Why is there air?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Froggy, the theory I live by is the gospel. I follow Jesus Christ and try my darndest to live like Him. It brings me tremedous joy every day. I am a much more optimistic person than I once was. I try to find the blessings in EVERYTHING. Of course I fail each day, but I am also noticing the grace more every day too. Therein lies my peace.

I wish I had seen the Bill Cosby episode you are talking about. Can you tell me more?

#20739 - 10/13/05 03:51 PM Re: Why is there air?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Froggy, my belief is that the purpose of this life is preparation for the next. Here is where we develop the spiritual eyes, ears and limbs we'll use for eternity. We do this by reflecting godly qualities and being of service. Living in the spiritual world only brings happiness.

#20740 - 10/14/05 07:02 AM Re: Why is there air?
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Froggy, life theory. That's a good question. I do believe in an after life. Life is to love and be loved, to seek the light and to shed the light. By the grace of God, I have learned that we are born expecting to give and receive love. Loving ourselves and others is a higher purpose. Love and Light, Lynn

PS This theory is hard to apply when on is 1) in endless traffic 2) on endless hold 3) in endless menu 4) when dealing with goverment agencies 5) when dealing with health insurance companies 6) while waiting in line 7)

#20741 - 10/14/05 11:20 PM Re: Why is there air?
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
I believe that life is a wheel- we are born, we live and love, hurt and despair - people join us and some leave and we die and do it all over again until we learn what we need to know and then rest in peace
If you feel you've missed something maybe you have
I have gone through cycles in my life when anyone outside my immediate family was unnecessary. Then I needed people and everyone to love me now I just need a few loving people and a sense of home where I can be warm and peaceful and quiet

#20742 - 10/14/05 11:29 PM Re: Why is there air?
Bluebird Offline

I go by the Catholic version of the purpose of life: To know, love and serve the Lord in this life and to live with Him forever in the next...

#20743 - 10/15/05 03:58 AM Re: Why is there air?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I struggled with this question a few years ago while bed-ridden with severe fatigue and depression. I was utterly broken, fried, disabled and couldn't do anything more than roll out of bed to pee and eat once in awhile. As I lay there, day after day, too weary to sleep, and too physically exhausted to get out of bed, I started wondering why I was still alive. I was good for nothing. A miserable burden to myself and everyone around me.

It was a long dark night, and there often seemed to be no point in waking up in the morning. But deep inside of me, I already knew that death wasn't the answer. I knew that as long as I was still breathing, there was a reason that I was still alive.

So I had to hunt for that reason. What possible use could I be to God, hubby or anyone in the condition I was in, completely unable to get out of that bed, unable even to read, write or care about anything or anyone.

The answer was a long time coming, but when it came, it was so simple, it made me weep. In God's eyes, just breathing was enough. "You are worthwhile simply because you exist" were the words He planted in my soul. Very simple, but those words, that love and mercy, settled into my deepest wounded being and took root there and healing began. I found myself able to begin replacing my weeping searching with what little I COULD do from my bed...prayer...praying for people, I prayed for people for hours. Slowly but surely I started to find enough energy to begin "rewiring my attic", getting my mind untangled from all the lies that were feeding my self-loathing.

Recovery was very slow, still on-going. For a long time, I couldn't allow anyone else into my life except my husband and brother. Then slowly I was able to allow others to come in, for brief visits, at arms length. I'm still not comfortable with too many people in my life at one time and sometimes have to pull back.

But there came a point a few months ago when it was time to reach out beyond that shrunken world, and that's when I stumbled into this site. Being here, and witnessing the healing that's been going on inside of me since my arrival here, I am convinced that simply learning to love each other authentically, one person at a time if that's all we can handle at the moment, and allowing ourselves to be loved in return is the most crucial, healing thing we can do for ourselves, God, others and the world at large.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. Again.

#20744 - 10/15/05 06:13 AM Re: Why is there air?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Froggy,

I believe we are put on this earth in this form, for the good that we do on this earth. Although I believe in reincarnation of the soul, it's more important to concentrate on NOW. The future will take care of itself in its own way.

We exist to love and be loved, to help and be helped. If you are truly happy, then you bring joy to those around you.

All loving and caring acts are important. We should each work according to our own likes and abilities. Doing something on a large scale is no more important than the small everyday acts of kindness and compassion. It's all "work" that needs to be done, and each of us fills our own special niche.

It's possible for you to help others in ways that don't involve crowds or groups of people. You can work behind the scenes at an organization, do internet research, or maybe just help one-on-one in whatever capacity.

Whatever you're doing with your life, it's "enough" it you feel fulfilled and happy. Don't rate your life according to others' expectations.

#20745 - 10/16/05 06:50 AM Re: Why is there air?
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Eagle, I enjoyed your "long winded" answer. You know from reading TEARS that I had a similar experience. My counselor was the instrument God used to tell me that I was worthy of being on this planet simply because I am a child of God. That is very moving that one thing you could do from bed was to pray for others. Someone here has a great signature: Prayer is not the least but the most we can do for each other. I learned to ask not for what I want from God, but what does God want from me? To give and receive love its all its various forms, including kindness and compassion. Love and Light, Lynn

#20746 - 06/20/06 08:51 PM Re: Why is there air?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
Count me in with the highly sensitive people - until I checked out that site a few years ago, I didn't know that that there were others like me! I scored very high on the level of sensitivity, too. It is really a challenge for us, as 75% of Americans are extroverts, and they often think we are just being anti-social, etc. when we don't enjoy the same things they do. It took my husband awhile to understand this too, as he is more outgoing than I am for sure.
It is really to come to know that sensitivity is a gift instead of a liability, and to find the areas of life that use that, like creative activity of just about any sort, counselling, dreamwork, shamanic practice, work with the dying, alternative medicine, etc. Plus really taking a look at the daily life and seeing how you can rearrange your schedule. For some folks this may mean a drastic change of life, depending on the level of disconnect between their core selves and their external situation.
Last but not least, this time of life is really a gift too, in coming to grips with the importance of the inner life, and less emphasis on external trappings of status, "stuff", etc. With full intent and motivation, therapy/spiritual work can be very fruitful at this time for tuning into what's really important. Like eagleheart(a wonderful username BTW)it often takes a "dark night of the soul" passage as part of the process. Believe me, I know, I've been there, and hugs to all who have been, or are there now.

#20747 - 06/20/06 09:11 PM Re: Why is there air?
Bluebird Offline

Cara, I too, am a HSP. Discovered this a few years ago and it has helped me SO much just to know it. The knowledge has helped me to become much more sociable and confident so I no longer think of myself as shy and introverted. I need my quiet time, which isn't easy in a large household like mine. I still don't like large gatherings (except church)as the noises and "vibes" make me anxious. It is difficult having these sensitivities but I truly believe it is a great gift in that it helps me be more sensitive to others.

#20748 - 06/20/06 10:51 PM Re: Why is there air?
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
I just took the HSP test and "passed" with flying colors. I never knew there was a name or info on something like this. Wow. Thanks for the info. To top it off I am an "HSP" who has "PTSD" (post traumatic stress something or another)sounds like a spelling bee:)

#20749 - 06/21/06 02:34 AM Re: Why is there air?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I can attest to being somewhat HSP and am not to uncomfortable as long as I know where the restrooms are. Plus no matter what, I always take my own car everywhere so I can get away whenever I want or need to. My problem is not when I get somewhere usually I sort of come to life, its leaving my home to get somewhere that I find difficult and can usually wiggle my way out of going and thats sad and stupid and I know that.

#20750 - 06/21/06 04:06 AM Re: Why is there air?
Bluebird Offline

Val, don't you think it will help you understand yourself better? I know it has helped me so much and I have to thank my brother for telling me about the HSP book a few years ago. Now that we both know we are HSP, we love to get on the phone and say "does it bother you when...?" We are almost always in agreement. I think being a HSP makes him the great writer that he is.

#20751 - 06/21/06 06:03 AM Re: Why is there air?
Val Offline

Loc: Pa.
Jackie, Yes I do think it will help and I am glad to have the info. I will most likely buy the books at some time in the future. I passed the info onto someone today actually so they can take the test also. Thanks again.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved