The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207215 - 08/31/10 01:39 PM anybody cook with a pressure cooker?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I don't have a pressure cooker but have been reading more and more about how they can be used to cook -- and speed up the cooking time -- of all kinds of things. Thinking about buying one. Anybody here use one, any recommendations, any thoughts? I remember my mom using one when I was a kid but that one is long gone and from what I've read the new ones are a big improvement over the old ones.

Thanks!

#207222 - 08/31/10 05:36 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I have used a pressure cooker for decades for canning different types of foods. But I have not used one for general cooking. I can remember my grandmother using pressure cookers. I think she had about 3 sizes of them. I remember her cooking a chicken or a roast in them to speed up the cooking time. I don't hear of too many people using pressure cookers anymore because they seem to be scared of them.....afraid they will blow up or something.

#207237 - 09/01/10 02:26 AM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: Cookie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've never used one, but Mom cooked with one on occasion. I recall the steam coming out of the top when she removed the little piece that screwed in the lid. Does that make sense?

#207241 - 09/01/10 07:55 AM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: Dotsie]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
We have one and love it!!!! Meat is jucier, potatoes are finished within minutes, and aren't dried out. Vegatables keep their vitamins, aren't cooked out. We use ours almost every day. And yes we have a microwave too, but use that only to warm food up.

#207247 - 09/01/10 12:21 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: Edelweiss2]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Yes Dots that make sense. I remember my mom cooking with one too.There was a valve at the top that released steam.

One of my magazines (Cooking Light) had a big article about them in this month's issue, and I've been thinking about buying one for a while.............

I posted the same question on my Facebook page and got several responses. It seems that people either don't know how to use one, or they use it and love it. Hmmmm might be time to head to my local Bed Bath & Beyond with my 20% off coupon and look at them............I need to check out the different types and all. I looked online, but I just can't tell much unless I can really see it, you know??

#207248 - 09/01/10 12:37 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
EW, we steam our veggies. What's the difference? Anyone know?

CQ, I love the comment about the coupon. I stockpile them and then when I go in, I use several if needed. Funny thing is that when I took my oldest son there to shop for college, he laughed at my coupons. Then a few years later, when he bought his house and we went shopping, I took my coupons and he was appreciative. Funny how that changes when the money is coming out of their wallets.

Did you know they take expired coupons?

Let me know if you get one. I'd love to hear how it compares to steaming.

#207272 - 09/01/10 05:51 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: Dotsie]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Dotise I'm glad you asked about the steamed veggies because we steam our's too and I was also wondering if there's a difference.
My CQ could almost stand for Coupon Queen because I am a BIG coupon shopper. Yes, I knew Bed, Bath, & Beyond takes them even if they've expired, but glad to see you post it here as others probably don't know that.
Also, for those of you who shop at Publix -- they take competitor's coupons. So does Target.
Back to pressure cookers -- Presto (the brand my mom had so many years ago!) has an article online about how to determine which pressure cooker is the best one for you to buy (what size and other determining factors) -- I only glanced at it this morning (was running late for the gym as usual) and am about to go read it now. From what I saw it wasn't even pushing their brand, just general info. I'll post if I end up buying one.

#207402 - 09/04/10 12:42 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

To continue the pressure cooker saga. Ok I got lots of positive responses from friends so decided to buy one. Researched online, like I said above. Made a list of the features I was looking for. Went to a couple of stores, found one I was going to buy, but decided to take a really good look at the instruction/recipe book that came with it. And noticed that it said NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON FLAT GLASS/CERAMIC COOKTOP BURNERS. Well, guess what we have. Flat, glass, cooktop burners on our stove. Something about the pressure cookers have concave bottoms and they will not heat properly and won't work well on these type of burners. I am BUMMED as I was all set on learning how to cook with a pressure cooker.
Checked a couple of other models and they all said the same thing. DARN!!! Guess I'm glad I read the book before buying it!!

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (09/04/10 12:43 PM)

#207404 - 09/04/10 12:54 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
We have a ceramic cooktop, and never had any problems with our pressure cooker.

#207416 - 09/04/10 11:55 PM Re: anybody cook with a pressure cooker? [Re: Edelweiss2]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

I did some more checking online and most people said they've never had a problem using a pressure cooker on ceramic cooktops so I decided to go ahead and get one. Will test it out next week with a beef roast. Will let you know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved