The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#20627 - 09/12/05 09:13 PM Is it me or what???
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Just a question, please. Is it me or what???

Last two weeks, I have been having major hot flashes that then turn into cold chills. During the same two weeks my blood pressure is higher than normal, plus I cry at any & everything, feel depressed, aching & sore. No energy!

Other weeks I feel fatique, moody etc., lack of sleep. Hot flashes are pretty much the norm always.
Sometimes, I just feel like the old me.

Whatever I feel seems to cycle around together, does that make any sense?
Really dislike the cycle I'm in right now...have to push myself to do everything. [Frown]

Does anyone else experience this?

Times like this would really like to have my mom around.

#20628 - 09/12/05 11:57 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Brenda, I have been having the same problems only in addition I'm a total flake. Reading Suzzane Summers book "The Sexy Years" helped me understand what was going on and how I could feel better.

Good luck!
Daisygirl

#20629 - 09/13/05 01:31 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It's not just you my friend, its WHAT, and the what here is Menopause. First your feeling hot, then your feeling cold, you can't sleep then can't stay awake I'm told. Sing these words to the tune of 'Do the Hokee Pokee.' LOL This too shall pass but its a b-witch when its happening....

[ September 12, 2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20630 - 09/13/05 02:53 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Brenda, you mentioned the face acne in another forum...I think it's all part of the big "M". I went through a few months of hot flashes and chills awhile back, but then I read that cutting out "white" foods can sometimes help alleviate those. We've completely cut out white bread, white pasta, and have cut way back on white rice. It seems to have made a difference. I haven't had a serious hot flash since the change in diet.

It doesn't do anything for the acne, unfortunately!

#20631 - 09/13/05 03:40 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sometimes when a serious erruption seems eminent take an aspirin and crush it, mix with warm water and apply slve like mixture to the pimple. Leave it for a couple of hours and it should take care of it...

#20632 - 09/13/05 05:56 AM Re: Is it me or what???
yepthatsme2 Offline

Honostly, somedays it feels like these symptoms just takes over your entire being.
You get to a point and wonder if you are ever gonna feel better.
Eagle Heart, definately will try cutting the "white" foods and see how that works. We eat alot of pasta & rice.
Put a new ac/heat pump in this spring...that baby pumps some cold air. Hang right over the vent when the hot flash hits, then if it rolls into the chill I'm wrapped in a blanket.
People in this house, can be found wearing jackets and sweaters, complaining of the cold. [Eek!]
Face is a bit better this week, running around last with facial mask and Mary Kay acne cream.
Never heard of the aspirin salve but you can better believe I will try it, come next breakout.
Probably help alot if I could stay out of the candy bag, just a total crave some days...ok most days. Know it's not good, but I can't help myself, especially since I quit smoking.......
Much thanks for the suggestions, will try!
"Do the Hokee Pokee and turn yourself around...that's what it's all about."

#20633 - 09/13/05 06:07 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

I'm trying the aspiring salve right now. My blotchy spot was burning and itchy, but as soon as I put the salve on an hour ago, the itchiness went away. So that's a good sign. I'll wash it off before going to bed and then try again throughout the day tomorrow and let y'all know how it's working. Thanks Chatty!

#20634 - 09/14/05 07:06 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Brenda, you mention having your mom around. I can totally relate to that. I didn't start this perimenopause stuff until after she died. I would give anything to sit and chat with her about all this. Often times I feel guilty because I had no clue what she was going through when her five kids were teens. I wish I had paid more attention. I also wish I'd shown her more love and compassion, but I was busy doing the teen thing.

#20635 - 09/14/05 01:45 AM Re: Is it me or what???
yepthatsme2 Offline

Dotsie, think most of us who are missing our moms wish we had spent more time talking & just being close.
Strangest thing, she called me a week before she died and told me she was going to be with the Lord.
She had cut back on alot of her medicines, without letting anyone know. Dad had been cut back on hours at work.
Week later she died, alone on the kitchen floor, heart attack.
Think at the time you never truly believe they will leave you, or want to believe. Or, even believe when they tell you they are leaving.
If, I had of believed....maybe things would have been different.

Worried and prayed about that for years, then one night....

I had a dream, saw her sitting under a huge oak tree reading from a book to several children that sat around her. Sheer peace upon her face, looked to be in her early 20's.
My grandmother stood behind her to the left, smiling. Uncle Richard was sitting upon a low hanging branch, with that wonderful smile of his. Peaceful feeling..... they all were alive and well.

Thinking back...mom would always clam up when you were talking about sex, almost like she didn't hear you talking.
Often wonder, if she would have done the same with the menopause issue.
Do any of you remember your first period and how your mom explained it to you?
Mine had already purchased a box of tampax and pads, they were still in the brown paper bag. Told me to just read the instuctions in the box. [Roll Eyes]
Mother Nature came on a Friday, just happened to be a slumber party at a girlfriend's across the street.

Never made the party.

Brenda [Smile]

#20636 - 09/15/05 07:19 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I'm wondering if menopause is causing my lack of attention. I was walking out of my bedroom while reading something and hit the door jamb. It threw me off balance and I fell on a small table. Once again, just like the trash can incident I'm bruised. My shoulders are killing me. I think I need to go to the doctor.

My mom didn't explain much about my first period but just got me pads and showed me how to use them. I've never heard her say anything about menopause but we haven't been very close. She'd probably tell me to just get over it.

#20637 - 09/15/05 07:51 AM Re: Is it me or what???
yepthatsme2 Offline

Seems to hit me with lack of attention. Another thing I've noticed lately is totally spacing what your talking about....in mid sentence sometimes. That's scary!
So, wish I was in the 1/3 of the women, with no symptoms. Wouldn't that be great?
Hope you shoulders heal quickly.

#20638 - 09/15/05 01:30 AM Re: Is it me or what???
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Brenda, it's not you at all! I have been riding the hormone hayride for about the past 4 yrs, and due to really heavy and lasting periods my gyn recommended a uterine ablation last year, that lessened everything until it all stopped in Oct. 04. Since then, can't really do HRT, been trying my best to cope but my electric bill is out of site since I have to have it so cold every evening, the moodiness and the crying (over things like commercials!! and the like, all small potatoes. The hurricane in NO made me just bawl like a baby, those poor folks). No girl, it's not you, it is just kind of what we went thru before puberty (God bless our parents, they put up with teenaged girls) and the whole lot of life. It is hard, but from what I have read, it will pass in time (hope I can not make my family desert me before then. 50 should be an age of discovery, but sometimes it is an age of just putting up with stuff.

#20639 - 09/15/05 01:36 AM Re: Is it me or what???
judym Offline

Dianne, reading your post made me laugh - my first time, we didn't have any supplies on hand, so Dad had to go to the corner store and buy the whole "rig" and he was so embarassed (Mom didn't drive, plus she had 2 more kids to get off to school). That little blue box in the cupboard always made me think of Dad and his red face, from anger or embarassment I was never sure. The info came from the 5th grade "special info for girls" afterschool program, part of our hygine program, the boys had theirs on the same day. We all looked at each other in such a sheepish way for a time after that!!

#20640 - 09/15/05 01:57 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Tampons? No tampons were allowed in our house. Mom and Dad had four daughters and I don't think a tampon ever crossed the doorway. Nosirree. Pads were the only thing for us Catholic school girls. Isn't that a hoot?

Dianne, do you have a lot on your mind these days? That's when I find I start walking into tables and doorways. Sometimes I have bruises and I can't even recall where they came from. Maybe we need to s l o w down.

#20641 - 09/15/05 02:08 AM Re: Is it me or what???
judym Offline

No, Dotsie, I was referring to the Kotex box!! The small tampon box didn't grace our Catholic house either!! LOL on this one! Do you remember the elastic belt that held the doggone things on! They cost all of 89cents at the corner store! And such a pleasure to be wearing. Too doggone funny!

#20642 - 09/15/05 02:38 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I am beginning to think there was a sin taught somewhere only our mothers knew about in Catholic house holds, me too with those Kotex thingys...hated it!

#20643 - 09/15/05 02:52 AM Re: Is it me or what???
judym Offline

No, not to be disrespectful, but the mode of the times made everyone wary of their bodies as a whole. I always felt as if I were part of a sorrowful sisterhood, in some vague way. Wish that I could have had a celebrationary aspect - "Welcome to the World of Womanhood!" or something like that.
We always had things printed in the church bulletins targeted for teens- one memorable one was "I am Worth More Than A cheeseburger". It gave young women a take on dating, and the dire consequences of being a fallen woman. To this day, and I am over 50, I remember this one - we had it stuck on the counter for a longgggg time. The baggage you carry and the laugh of some of it! Thanks again!

#20644 - 09/15/05 06:50 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I am worth more tahn a cheeseburger. I never saw that one.

Of course I remember that hideous belts. Now their underwear looks like that. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Judy, I tease about the messages sent by the nuns, but you know what? I still beleive in some of those messages.

[Wink]

I think wise choices about relationships create healthier young adults.

[ September 15, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#20645 - 09/16/05 04:50 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Some may laugh at the things the nuns taught and stood for but those things are what kept me a virgin much longer than I would have been if I hadn't had their wisdom and common sense instilled in me. After a Catholic school for 8 years high school was like going to Mars or something. The one really thing I took away from that Catholic school was my own self worth...It was lobster or nothing for me boys. LOL!!!

#20646 - 09/22/05 11:33 PM Re: Is it me or what???
judym Offline

Oh, I never think what they taught was a "bad" thing - I thank God I had a good solid Catholic upbringing when I was young.It made me a better person, despite the 60's and early 70's if you get my drift. All those CCD classes. Cracked up, Dotsie, yes, the new undies look like that hideous belt. As if anyone over 20 could wear one!! LOL there. Actually, the message of the bulletin I totally remember (thinking on it for the past couple days)was "I Am a No-Neck Girl" and the first aspect of it was not selling ourselves out for a cheapie date, not indulging in urges and all. We had that one posted on the counter for so doggone long. But, I have to tell you, I sift thru the good messages and they always relate to life and self today, but some of them have always aspected a bucketload of the "self" messages as baggage I've carried these many years. I am glad of my stern Catholic upbringing, wish I were a stronger person to follow thru and adhere today. I wish I were as good as the Church wanted me to be. I took the sacrements seriously! My parents were strict Catholic, and I remember the Catholic paper's ) giving my folks input as to which movies we should or shouldn't see, which books we should or shouldn't read. Catcher In the Rye was on the list, and of course I wanted to read it.And I did, and loved it, and started to question things. All a part of becoming an individual and and learning there was "other' stuff out there. I was a child of pre-Vatican II, learned all the Latin and made the sacrements then. To this day, when I watch Mass from the Vatican, I can still give the Latin response! When it went to the Priest facing the congregation and English, I was really astounded and not at all pleased, even at that young age I was sensing a major rift in the fabric of my life. I have attended Latin Masses in the past and feel right at home, but they are hard to come by these days, and as an aside, I married a Methodist so I don't attend so regularly. I have become a holiday Catholic, which I really hate in my core of being. Lordy. I think a lot of the baggage we carry is stuff we gather ourselves. Anyhoo. You are right, ChattyLady, those earlier teachings are worth their weight in gold, maybe we cringe some but we know our true worth. Thanks for all your input, love this site and a place to chat about My place in life today. Thanks!!

#20647 - 09/23/05 01:11 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Messages from nuns...

I think I got some of them a little mixed up. Like they convinced me so strongly of the need to confess my sins, I sometimes went to confession AND MADE STUFF UP!

Oh, and our (unauthorized) version of "no-neck" was "If you wanna buy lovin', find a hooker!"

And here's another "message" I picked up. What I remember most about our nuns were the way they smelled. They spent so much time running off mimeograph papers that they smelled like the ink! The kids would be horsing around in the classroom, but I never got to join in. I had to stand guard by the door, because they depended on my nose to tell us when Sister Mary Elizabeth was coming back.
I loved that cantankerous old woman, and I STILL have a weird affection for ink/dye smells! [Big Grin]

#20648 - 09/23/05 10:53 PM Re: Is it me or what???
irishmom46 Offline

Loc: Indiana
omg..I'm laughing reading about the NO tampon rule and those horrid sanitary belts! First time I used one of the belts, I had the pad tab so twisted that I had to get my mom to help me get it off...good grief...that must've been about 100 years ago. The NO tampon rule..I'm not Catholic, but my mother believed that wearing a tampon would detroy one's virginity! She also believed, that during your period, you could "sponge bathe" but not immerse yourself in the bath tub. Go figure. Oh...and you couldn't wash your hair. No, I STILL have no clue, other than it was an OWT. The irony in it all was even though it wasn't advisable or "allowable" for one to take a bath or have a hair shampoo, it was "good" for one to have her hands in dish water. LOL! AND running the sweeper was an excellent form of exercise to rid one of the dreaded cramps. The times....oh we've had some times, haven't we?

#20649 - 09/24/05 03:00 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Say I too remember the no washing of the hair during that time of the month. I had forgotten about that ridiculous rule. Does anyone have a clue what the reasoning behind that was? Funny but called and asked mom and she said; Oh poo dear I never said that to you! Guess I won't get the answer from her.... [Confused] I call that convenient memory...oh so many men posses that convenient memory trait too.

[ September 23, 2005, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20650 - 09/26/05 11:49 PM Re: Is it me or what???
sunnrae Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi, I can sympathize with your symptoms of menopause. I suffered years of hot flashes and night sweats. At first I thought it was just humid out! I embarrased myself a few times with that line!
Finally I discovered a natural way to manage my symptoms and it's been a lifesaver!
After trying HRT a couple of times and feeling worse, I thought I was doomed to just "weather the storm" of this phase in life.
To my delight I found a natural progesterone cream [Endau from Neways] that really works! {I had tried other OTC natural progesterones to no avail previously}
This cream is a Wonder and made my life return to normalacy.

I've just started my own Group at Yahoo to try to help other women through the health issues that we all face throughout our life.

Feel free to check it out!

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/HormonalHealthQwest/

or email: HormonalHealthQwest-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Sunnie

#20651 - 09/27/05 10:54 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

sunrae, I have heard that Arbonne makes a similar cream that works like a dream. I have been skeptical about trying it.

#20652 - 09/27/05 11:12 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Sunrise Offline

Loc: Northern California
My doctor recommended the products from the Women's International Pharmacy. You can check them out online at their website.

You can speak to one of their pharmacists to get more information.

#20653 - 09/27/05 11:25 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Sunrise,

It is soooo awesome that you took a chance down this path and found help with a natural remedy!

All progesterone creams are not created equal. Companies formulate them differently - so sometimes a woman has to try several brands before finding one that works for them!

Dr John Lee did extensive research on this (http://www.johnleemd.com) and there is even a section on creams he reccommends:

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource_progesterone.html

Dotsie, this product is what lured me into Arbonne. It saved my uterus.. I was a candidate for a hysterectamy (however you spell that monster word). I was skeptical also! Very! But it saved my parts AND my sanity!

my two cents on the subject,

Danita

#20654 - 09/27/05 11:43 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Sunrise Offline

I was headed that way also, and the progesterone cream was wonderful.

#20655 - 10/17/05 01:58 AM Re: Is it me or what???
bonnie Offline

Loc: Hudson, NH
Hi! I just started having symptoms this summer and the night sweats/chills are preventing me from ever having a good night's sleep. Have been taking a sleeping pill every third night or so just so I can get enough to function OK at work. I didn't know about these creams. How do they work? Do I buy online or at a specialty store? please excuse the ignorance, I thought my options were much more limited!

#20656 - 10/17/05 03:37 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
If you want an all natural creme go to-www.kettlecare.com
Organically grown

#20657 - 10/17/05 03:56 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

I can't use the creams, or any hormone therapy. But I found that cutting out as much "white stuff" as possible from my diet, especially at supper time, helped alleviate the night sweats.

Hubby and I have been replacing most of our "white consumption: white rice, white pasta, white bread" with whole wheat/whole grain alternatives. The change has definitely helped ease many of my menopause symptoms (hasn't helped with the brainfog yet), and has helped hubby better manage his Type 2 diabetes as well.

Some say to even cut potatoes, but I won't personally advocate that one because they're so full of other nutrients that I need. But even cutting down the serving size helps.

Postscript...duh, I just realized I already posted this earlier in this same thread. Sorry about that. I guess cutting down the white stuff hasn't improved my memory has it!

[ October 16, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#20658 - 10/17/05 04:44 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

That's okay Eagle. How about yams? They have even more nutrients than yukon gold potatoes.

#20659 - 10/17/05 05:51 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You may also want to talk with Danita. She sells Arbonne products. I understand they have the best cream available.

#20660 - 10/18/05 03:29 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I eat only sweet potatoes for the nutrients (can't be beat) and the flavor and you can do alomost all the same things you can do with white potatoes. I adore french fried sweet potatoes...yum!

#20661 - 10/18/05 03:47 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

Mmmmm, Chatty, french fried sweet potatoes are one of my favourite foods too! We eat a lot of sweet potatoes...oven-roasted, mashed, fried. We often roast a big batch of them together with onions and white potatoes when company comes, but find everyone eats more of the sweet potatoes, so now we usually only serve the orange stuff!

Have you ever tried french-fried parsnips? A friend of mine raised four children on her own. She often used to serve them these "french fries". They were delicious. But when I tried to make them at home, mine never turned out the same...until she told me they were parsnips, not potatoes!

#20662 - 10/18/05 08:52 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Sunrise Offline

Something you can easily try at home, is watch your diet and see if any food aggravate the night sweats.

I found that if I have a small amount of red meat I am OK, but if I have too much....night sweats!

It can also happen with red wine, and spicey food.

#20663 - 10/19/05 02:31 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Eagle, nope never tried them but am going to the store later and if they have any I'll give it a try, thanks.

#20664 - 10/19/05 09:52 PM Re: Is it me or what???
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
what's a parsnips?

#20665 - 10/19/05 09:53 PM Re: Is it me or what???
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

is that like one of those lines in the Christmas Song, The 12 Days of Christmas? You know...

and parsnip in a pear treeeeeee... course I still don't know what it is....

JJ

#20666 - 10/19/05 10:03 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

A parsnip is a hardy root veggie (which is why it's so popular in cold-climate countries). It looks like a carrot, but is white. It's not all that exciting served alone, but is very popular in stews, soups (parsnip soup is one of the tastiest soups), and a sweet healthy alternative to french fried potatoes. Parsnips are considered to be a very healthy vegetable, supposedly one of the healthiest, but I'm not so sure about that claim.

#20667 - 10/19/05 10:09 PM Re: Is it me or what???
chickadee Offline

A parsnip is shaped like a carrot -it is not the colour of a carrot, it doesn't taste like a carrot and shouldn't be used for a snow man's nose. A carrot grows in the ground- unlike parsnip, as we all know grows on trees...pear trees.

Now I'm feeling Christmassy...

Sleep in heaven he peeeees...sleeeppp in heaven he peeees.
chick

#20668 - 10/19/05 10:19 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by chickadee:
Sleep in heaven he peeeees...sleeeppp in heaven he peeees.

Chickadee, thanks a lot for that imagery! It's such a sleepy day here, AND pouring...and it's too dim to see what colour it is. The rain on my pane will never be the same again.

#20669 - 10/20/05 02:24 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Eagle its been pouring here as well now for two days and nights. I think some of the lower areas have floated out into the desert by now. I am staying inside and trying to finish up some real estate paper work plus am making a scrumptous veal stew. Oh my, it smells so good in here right now....want to come over for dinner?

#20670 - 10/20/05 03:22 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks for the invite Chatty. If it wasn't such a long drive in the rain, I'd definitely accept! Tonight I made a hot ratatouille (sp?)...it's one of our favourite fall/winter dishes. Eggplant, onions, red pepper and mushrooms sauteed together, then put in a casserole dish with a can of Italian stewed tomatoes, covered with a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella cheese (and I top it with wheat germ instead of bread crumbs) and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Very healthy and hearty for a dim, cold, rainy autumn night!

But can I take a (no pun intended) rain-check for that veal stew?

#20671 - 10/20/05 08:25 PM Re: Is it me or what???
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, I'll be over in a minute. That's sounds yummy.

Chatty, veal stew? I applaud you for making such delicious meals while living alone. I'd be tempted to eat munchy stuff if I lived alone.

#20672 - 10/20/05 11:44 PM Re: Is it me or what???
chickadee Offline

Menopause Meals...where's the cookbook? Anyone want to put one together with me?

Back to menopause- the symptoms- Brenda and all, I can relate so much to what you are saying...
I don't have the energy of a f*rt dragged through a bag of nails. I can't decide if it's no energy or pure laziness. I don't want to do ANYTHING. I am usually an energetic,get up and go person but now I have to turn on the lights just to feel alive. I am forcing myself to make my bed in the morning(well late morning).
It feels like I am trapped in my own skin??? I want to scream...but I don't know why??? Menopause is such a strange temporary disease. What is everyone else doing about these crazy unusual "symptoms".

Anyone have a B12 shot? I'd like to know what you think about getting one.
I was going to go see the Doc, but I even keep putting that off...too lazy to make the call [Roll Eyes]

Brenda, are you still feeling the same way as you did when you started this post?

chick

#20673 - 10/21/05 02:23 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well Dotsie for awhile I "munched" myself into Blimpo woman, it was too easy to gain junk food pounds. Now I cook delicious meals just as if I was having dinner guests and freeze left overs or take them to a neighbor who lives alone. It took me sometime to learn to cook smaller meals but now I can.....

Eagle Heart my door is always open and there is usually something on the stove.....

Chickadee already have the start of a cookbook and one thats done but a Menopause cookbook sounds like fun and I'm in if you want to tackle it.....

[ October 20, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20674 - 10/21/05 02:54 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

Chatty, hubby and I have been talking for a couple of years about going to Las Vegas. Neither of us have been there and we have enough air miles saved up to fly there for free. If we go, we'll stay at a hotel, but might well take you up on your offer for a Chatty-cooked meal! It won't be for another year or two, though.

Chick, check into that B12 thing. I have problems absorbing B12 and once in awhile it gets "dangerously low"...I can tell when it's low, because my body feels like a deflated balloon and the fatigue literally renders me immobile for days at a time.

I take B12 supplements, but can't absorb those well enough either, so have to get it in my diet...I eat an egg every day, and have to eat red meat regularly to keep the B12 levels reasonably stable. If we go even two weeks without red meat, the B12 falls. Which might explain why becoming a vegetarian in my 30's almost killed me. Nobody at the time connected it to an inability to absorb the B12 in the vitamin supplements I was taking, the doctors just told me that I had to eat meat.

Unfortunately, the low B12 doesn't explain the chronic fatigue, which could have dozens of other reasons...including menopausal hormonal imbalance and SAD (Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder, which hits people right about now).

[ October 20, 2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#20675 - 10/21/05 03:58 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Eagle Heart, hopefully if all goes well I should still be here in a couple of years to greet you. Say ever tried the liquid B12. You put a drop under your tongue and it is instantly dissolved into your system. Really works and will give you some kick butt energy as well. You can take most vitamins under your tongue. This way they go directly into the blood stream bypassing the stomach acids....Dr. Chatty will see you now, LOL!

[ October 20, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20676 - 10/21/05 04:15 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Eagle Heart Offline

Thanks, Dr. Chatty! I've never tried the drops, but will look into it...I just have to figure out what I'll do with my newfound "kick-butt-energy" when it hits. I've been so laid-back and tranquil for so long now, am not sure how to be anything else anymore. While I don't like the fatigue, I do enjoy living life at my own pace now. But a little kick-butt-energy couldn't hurt in the right circumstances...

[ October 20, 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#20677 - 10/21/05 04:18 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Danita Offline

Chatty, aka medicine woman.

d.

#20678 - 10/21/05 11:26 PM Re: Is it me or what???
chickadee Offline

Well, I started the B12 drops on Monday. I still don't have the energy I am used to having. I was anemic last year when I went to Doc and she said eat more meat, take vitamins. I did but next visit(this year) I am still aenemic. I have tons of energy all summer long, but now I have a disinterested feeling in everything...I don't want to go out or do anything. I have become a night owl...and it's not a hoot! It will pass, I just feel like whining a bit, I guess.
Chatty, about the cookbook, what do you think? I guess we could research menopause and foods for a few months to see what we can come up with. I'm good with the menopause and you're good with the food...ha ha. Hey you just never know Chatty...maybe that's our calling for this year.
Eagle, I can picture your basement and you on the computer...wish I had a basement these days.
Jammie days for me here.
chick

#20679 - 10/22/05 03:17 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Chick if your anemic too then the B12 can only do 1/2 the job. It sounds like you need iron in your blood as well but be careful because too much iron is as bad as too little. I have done the research for the types of foods good for menopausal women both pre and post menopausal...I have a library you can't imagine of this stuff....

#20680 - 10/22/05 04:02 AM Re: Is it me or what???
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Chick,
You should check with your doctor about the cause of your anemia. There are several kinds and it can be very serious as hemoglobin in the blood carries oxygen to all of the tissues. The most common types are:

Pernicious anemia from a B12 deficiency which can result from a vegetarian diet without supplementation, lack of the intrinsic factor necessary for absorption of B12 in the stomach, alcoholism, and other causes. It can be treated by sublingual B12 to be absorbed under the tongue or B12 injections.

Iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia and can result from a lack of iron in the diet or from hemmorrhage. It is treated with iron supplementation, but over injestion of iron can cause other problems so it is important to be followed by a physician.

Sickle cell anemia is an inherited defect in the red blood cell that impairs its ability to carry oxygen. It is often accompanied by type I diabetes and is most common in the black population.

There are other types of anemia, but those are the ones I've seen most often. Exhaustion is a common symptom of anemia, but it also lowers your resistance to disease and can be quite dangerous.

I hope you can get some help with it. Prayers coming your way.
smile

#20681 - 10/23/05 01:13 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chickadee Offline

Chatty, that's great. I am going to research and see if and how many books on the subject exist already. My daughter is going to be in Nevada in Feb. I am thinking of joining her. Maybe I can meet you for lunch or a book signing...or both...you just never know.
Smiles, thank you for your info and especially your prayers. I am going to make the appointment on Monday. I will ask her what type I have and what else I can do. Will keep you posted.
chick

#20682 - 10/24/05 01:19 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Okee dokee chickadee...Smile may be here in february too. Look out world Boomers meeting!! Would that be cool or what, plus another boomer lives here now....

#20683 - 10/24/05 01:31 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chickadee Offline

Wouldn't that be nice, Chatty...Week of Feb 14th for me if I decide to go. Smiles?
chick

#20684 - 10/24/05 01:44 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
What's this?? Vegas in February?? I'm coming!

#20685 - 10/24/05 02:53 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Oh be still my heart and this is one time I WILL BE THE LAS VEGAS WELCOME WAGON and yes Dotsie I am yelling....and dancing and laughing, come on down everyone. Party!!!! [Big Grin] [Razz] [Cool] Boomer babes.

[ October 23, 2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#20686 - 10/24/05 03:01 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Bluebird Offline

I'm serious, Chatty - I don't live that far from you. I would definitely come!

#20687 - 10/24/05 03:13 AM Re: Is it me or what???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

W.B., Like I said, "come on down." February the weather is marvelous, sunny but cool.

Where are you in Colorado? I lived for a year in Loveland and worked in Fort Collins at Johnson publishing. My sisters both live there still. I was a Estes Park junkie and went up there every week-end and played plus fishing in White Bear lake for trout. My boys and I went tubing down the rapids and caught crayfish in a stream behind our house that we cleaned and roasted. Yummy stuff too! I love it up there, quiet and peaceful but kind of boring once you've lived here....good vacation place though.

#20688 - 10/24/05 03:49 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Bluebird Offline

Chatty, I'm in Pagosa Springs, one hour east of Durango. So I'm very close to Utah. I think I can get to Vegas in 8 hours or less.

#20689 - 10/24/05 03:52 AM Re: Is it me or what???
yepthatsme2 Offline

I have a brother in Carson City is that close?

#20690 - 10/24/05 04:03 AM Re: Is it me or what???
Bluebird Offline

I think there are about 400 miles between Vegas and Carson City.

#20691 - 10/26/05 09:14 PM Re: Is it me or what???
travelchick Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Ladies,

As I read through this topic, you had me laughing and crying, and yes, remembering my first period ( I passed out in the bathroom from the sight of blood).

Now, with the big M coming upon me, I feel a big void again from my mom--she had a hysterectomy early and so has no good information on how to handle the symptoms that drive us all to distraction. One thing I've done, and it was radical, was get off all the drugs the doctors gave me to "help" with the sypmtoms. I got laid off last year and started my own business--and while for some that might have driven them straight to the funny farm, for me it was a life saver--actually reduced the stress and for some reason the sypmtoms I was experiencing with the periomenopause have almost disappeared--now I just have to carry pads with me everywhere I go because I don't know when I'll have another period (sure stinks on a cruise since I like to pack light).

Thanks to all of you for the tears and laughs!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved