The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#20585 - 08/31/05 06:50 AM Re: Can anyone relate?
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I just want to say that I am reading these posts and will respond when I can. Love and Light, Lynn

#20586 - 08/31/05 09:25 PM Re: Can anyone relate?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Some days seem way to hard...been here for awhile certainly enjoy everyone's posts, I visit daily.
So, many changes have taken place in my life this year, overwhelming at times.
Know alot of women see this change of life menopause thing a step forward, so far I have not reached that step. Bouncing right along last year, thinking I was Wonder Woman. You know the type A personality, "I can do everything", & only I can do it, (that use to be me) definatly past tense now.
Came off my hrt last year, mainly cause I was feeling on top of the world, plus my mom's family was plagued by strokes & heart attacks. In fact she passed from heart attack.
Come Feb. 05 my final dose of prempro was taken (weaned off slowly).
April I was seen in the local er for tingling hands, feet, and mouth, chest felt heavy. Took x-rays and recommended a nuerologist for degenerative nerve damage. Wonder Woman had done to much painting, yard work and whatever.
By May, I was definatly feeling the effects of no extra estrogen. Made an appointment with my provider, (we are retired military) usually seen at base clinic. Explained to the doctor about coming off prempro, took all my x-rays from er. Explained all my menopause symptoms, he looked at me like I was the biggest hypochondriac. Now mind you I was only seen at the base for pap's, & the very occasional sinus infection etc. Hardly ever sick. Kept telling me it had to be something else. Can't tell you the anxiety I felt that day just waiting to get in, not to mention the hot flashes, remember it like yesterday. Handed him the x-rays from the er, he held them up to the light, says there is no problem gave me a few exercises, take this premarin...see ya.
In May, made an appointment with a chiropatic center, more x-rays to show the disk damage from the er. Later that month I made another appointment at base tingling & numbness still present along with tightness of chest. Regular doctor booked so saw new doctor. Blood pressure reading was high, plus no pulse was to be found in left arm (something my chriopatic doctor had found).
Doctor ran ekg, results normal, plus ran blood tests for high blood pressure. Call him Monday for results and rx pick-up.
Come Monday no call...for the next 3 weeks no call. He had actually gone on leave for 3 weeks after my visit, and left no one in charge of his cases.
Needless to say my blood pressure hit the roof.
June 05, on way to er the ambulance read out was 214/161. While there a ultr sound was done on no pressure arm, that turned out normal, shot of mama's little helper (what ever that might have been) asked but wasn't told. Like I'm some kind of addict.... [Mad] No blood pressure medicine because the base had test running...just no doctor.
Three weeks of blood pressure rising, base told me just go to the emergency room if bottom # reaches 110. Real close several times, but thank God I didn't have to go again.
Never been so scared in all my life, anxiety just took over that raised the blood pressure all by itself. Always before I had been the stand firm stand tall person, that person wasn't present then & alot of times now.
Base doctor did made it back by the way....he sent me the same day to a military hospital in Maryland.
There for a week, 2 cath's done on my left arm, for blockage in left shoulder (reason for no blood pressure). First cath produced vasospasms, nitro used to reduce. Vaso surgeon requested to do second cath, with advance procedures, still no sucess.
Front heart arteries were wide open & free. They all felt coronary vasospasms were happening in back side of the heart all along.
So, medicine was given to cover the spasms and high blood pressure together.
Calcium channel blocker, beta blocker, aspirin and aspirin every day, not to mention the nitro.
Did any one inform me the blockers had huge side effects and might even worsen the depression.
Depression was horrible, still is some days.
Went back to the base for the depressed feeling thinking maybe they could change med's. Cardiologist said he was not about to change medicines now, to try an ssri. Tried taking two of the different ssri prescribed...couldn't get past the 1st week on them. Felt worse than not taking them.
Days are better, well here and there anyways. Some days I still have to push my self to move and interact, just seeing the concerned look in my family's face pushes me along.
Still have 4 of my adult children living at home.
Think the side effects from the blockers have let up a bit, plus my prayers have been the most important thing in my existance right now.
Oh, by the way had to go back to the base for swollen foot and ankle due to blockers, saw a new doctor who asked me if me uterus was missing
...no last time I checked do believe it was there. Then informed I should not have been prescribed the premarin. [Mad] Quit right away....do you smoke? Yep, I had been smoking 20 years right up to the point of when I went into the hospital.
Like I said, some days are better than others. Was to the point at one time, it would have taken an act, beyond anything I know of now to even get me out the front door. Even after venturing out, driving was a major issue.
Really related to chatty's post...about the depression knocking on the door. Depression and all the other array of symptoms.
Last week I ran into a woman I had worked for years with in the grocery store she asked how I was, told her of my events....no kidding, she actually pushed her cart into the next isle.
Heart disease, high blood pressure, is not a catchy thing. [Eek!]
Being a military wife 1st, and 2nd marriage put me on the move every 2 years so needless to say not many close friends. Family mainly passed, hubby was adopted, his mom & dad passed.
Hoping to make friends here. Not any where as eloquent in writing as the rest, but it's always from the heart.
Thanks, for letting me share.
Brenda

#20587 - 08/31/05 10:16 PM Re: Can anyone relate?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Wow, Brenda, that all amounts to an overwhelming wealth of stressful changes in a short period of time for you. I don't know anything whatsoever about hrt, and there are other women far more knowledgeable about it than I, but it sounds to me like coming off the hrt threw your entire system out of whack. I reminds me of coming cold turkey off my anti-depressant a couple of years ago...I'm still not sure my body has ever fully recovered.

I hope you do find some comfort and companionship in being here with us...I was emotionally broken when I stumbled in here. The caring wisdom and warmth of other women here have helped me to heal a lot of my own brokenness, so I can testify to the healing power of the connections, wisdom and caring that reside within these forums.

#20588 - 08/31/05 11:50 PM Re: Can anyone relate?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Brenda so happy my post gave you the desire to tell us about your ordeals. I can only hope you are better now. STRESS is the number one cause of serious illness in the world, I am convinced of that. Hopefully we ladies can be your support group and your friends. It amazes me how one persons feelings are the same for hundreds more who simply haven't mentioned it, yet when mentioned their feelings flow like the a never ending river..

#20589 - 09/01/05 12:25 AM Re: Can anyone relate?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Brenda, What an ordeal. Maybe this site can be your refuge as you regain your get up and go. It has been that for several of us who have been recovering from illnesses. There's nice people here and prayer is always available.

smile

#20590 - 09/01/05 01:45 AM Re: Can anyone relate?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Brenda I can't even IMAGINE going through all that you have been going through but as some of the other ladies have said - you've come to the right place! This is a wonderfully uplifting spot with so many "positive forces" among us. Hopefully all this stress you've had not knowing what on earth your body was doing to you (!!) will disappear soon and everything will get back under control.

#20591 - 09/01/05 09:43 AM Re: Can anyone relate?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
{{{{ Brenda }}}}

You've been through a horrible year. Wish I could give you a big hug.

#20592 - 09/01/05 02:11 PM Re: Can anyone relate?
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
Brenda,
I've been through a few health issues lately myself (although, unlike you, mine weren't crammed into a single year. I can't even imagine how stressed you must have been.) And like you, the military life means I don't have a huge number of long-term friends, so we have that in common. I've only been active on BWS a short time myself, so we have that in common, too. Here's hoping you take full advantage of the wonderful companionship offered here, both on the board and in private messages. It has been nothing short of inspirational for me, and I'm sure it will be for you too.
Sending a huge electronic hug your way,
Fifty

#20593 - 09/01/05 06:27 PM Re: Can anyone relate?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
From the bottom of my heart, thanks so much for your warm caring posts. Every hug has been received and deeply appreciated.
Stress at that time was really more than I could handle, thought for awhile I was going to completely slide right over the edge.
Without the answered prayers from above, things could have been most different.
Keep hearing, "you are never given more than you can handle".
Plus, "what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger".
BWS has been so uplifting...I've cried with tears of joy, tears of pain, and just plain tears of laughter. So much comfort here. Can relate to a post I read recently about the wish to be neighbors.
Everyone is so caring & sharing, it's what it's all about.
Thank-you all for that!
Hubby tells me all the time, I should write a book about my life, then again he could write that same book. Writer, I'm not. Reader, I am.
Today, is our 21st wedding anniversary...he is absolutely the best! Can't imagine life without him.

((((Hugs, & much Love Right Back at Ya))))

Brenda

#20594 - 09/02/05 07:39 AM Re: Can anyone relate?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Brenda, thanks for the medical history. I'm sure others will take some of your nformaiton and relate it to their symptoms.

I can't help but ask if you are happy with the medical care you are receiving right now? Do you feel as though you are in good hands?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved