The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#20503 - 07/19/05 01:54 AM Menopause or Mental Illness
writegirl1949 Offline

Loc: Arizona
I wasn't even sure where to post this but I really need some advice or input or ... maybe a shrink. [Eek!]

I'm peri-menopausal ... although my periods are coming less and less.

But, I'm really struggling with what feels like PMS times a gazillion. Is this normal ... extremely emotional, mood swings, etc. And my hot flashes are almost unbearable. I thought they'd one ... silly me, guess they were just in remission, so to speak, for quite a while.

Of course, I am being treated for depression, anxiety, and panic. But these emotional eruptions seem to come out of nowhere. [Frown]

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Blessings, Francine

#20504 - 07/19/05 02:14 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I think this is why they used to institutionalize women years ago because they thought they were going crazy. And, it can feel like craziness sometimes.

I got really grouchy. Vitamin E helped with my flashes. The grouchiness is slowly going away.

#20505 - 07/20/05 08:41 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
mammajude Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
My doctor wants me to try a low dose birth control bill for my peri-menopause symptoms.. which I seem to have them all. Anxiety, depression, no energy, insomnia,night sweats, hot flashes.. you name it I have it. UGH>.. I'm going to try them for 3 mos and see how it goes.. anyone else try birth control pills for this?

#20506 - 07/21/05 02:14 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
writegirl1949 Offline

Well, I see I'm not alone. Thanks, ladies

I'll let you know how the estroven works as well. I'd prefer to NOT take birth control pills.

Blessings, Francine

#20507 - 08/03/05 04:44 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
MinniePauz Offline

Loc: Michigan
writegirl1949, have you noticed any improvement since taking the Estroven?

#20508 - 08/10/05 12:19 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
hormonesinbalance Offline

Loc: Nashville, North Carolina
Have you checked into natural bio-identical hormone therapy? I have been on it for 2 years and feel so much better. I believe that it is safer than synthetic hormones.
You can get a saliva test done and it will tell you what your hormone levels are.

#20509 - 08/10/05 01:00 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Suzanne Summers (sp) writes about this in her book, The Sexy Years. That might help you.

#20510 - 08/12/05 12:38 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I take a combination of vitamins and nutritional supplements from Lifescript. http://www.lifescript.com

I swear by them. I'm postmenapausal and my symptoms are under control.

[ August 11, 2005, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#20511 - 08/30/05 12:09 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Writegirl, I have been on bc pills for the past 6 years for my hot flashes. I'm going back to my doctor this week because they are not helping much now. I intend to go the bio-identical hormones if at all possible. I read Suzanne Somers book and learned how much hormone balance affects our bodies and emotions.

Daisygirl

#20512 - 08/30/05 08:09 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, is this only for postmenopausal women. Do they have something for perimenopausal women?

Daisy, please share what your doctor has to say. I am on the BC pill too, but it's still working.

#20513 - 08/30/05 08:26 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dotsie, my appt. is Friday and I'm going to leave right after for Gatlinburg (a girls weekend), but when I return, I'll let you know what he says.

#20514 - 08/30/05 09:31 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Gatlinburg? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...I wanna gooooo! I love that place! wahhhhhhhh....sniff...sniff...

JJ

#20515 - 08/30/05 09:39 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Have any of your visited this site?

http://www.womentowomen.com

They have tons of info on the big M...

Vicki, I'm wondering if they have/carry the same message as the site you mentioned? I would love to see a comparison. Reason being, I'm thinking strongly of following their program. I too believe that a hormone balance is what is missing and the culprit in so many of our (women's) health issues.

JJ

#20516 - 08/30/05 10:15 PM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I had a quick tour of that site, JJ (http://www.womentowomen.com) and am delighted to discover that I suffer EVERY SYMPTOM listed. Ouch.

I've been investigating the fluoride overload connection for two months...with no definitive conclusion. Now this offers a new avenue to explore that I hadn't considered taking seriously until this moment! Thanks for sharing that link.

#20517 - 12/29/05 04:44 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Bunnylady Offline

Loc: Georgetown, TX
I had terrible outbursts and wonder how my husband suffered through it- he can be terribly mean and say horrible things as well but I would do things like get my whole family to support me and show rabbits with me for FFA and 4-H shows- getting up at 5 a.m. to get all the rabbits loaded, have a picnic and a good day by the beach with our bunnies and 200 other people and a bunch of rabbits only to arrive at the show and find no spots available and go into an instant funk- making my family pack everyone up and go home- everyone at the show used to watch us with their jaws dropped- I did this to them like 5 times, several times after driving hundreds of miles- someone should have punched me in the head- now I'm on Prempro and Paxil and am me again- like I was in my 20's- sweet and normal- I do want to get on Progesterone though- anyone tried that- read some bad things about Prempro
Patty

#20518 - 12/29/05 05:04 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Patty...

Not sure if there is anyone out there that hasn't done something out of the norm, being menopausal and all.

Know I have...symptoms seem to be getting better with time.
I've been taken off all of the hormones (prempro)etc. due to my health. To tell you the truth I honestly believe the prempro raised my blood pressure. So, be sure and monitor your blood pressure.

Did try a couple of the antidepressants with no sucess.

So when I do have a bad day...the kids and hubby stay at arms distance. [Big Grin]

#20519 - 01/06/06 12:12 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
jen50 Offline

Loc: NC
Try soy milk...I have been feeling nervous and having cognitive trouble for about 3 years, but it just really ganged up on me and I was tearing up at work, and i did try the hormones, (as in the pill) and phyto-estrogens; nothing was working until - tada - the soy milk. Everything has evened out, and no way am I thru it yet... I have milder hot flashes but almost none of the searching for the correct word I was experiencing and I do seem to crave the soy milk now. Day 2 I noticed a general feeling better, by day 4 I was feeling like my old self of over 4 years ago, and its just about a cup a day over cereal, out of 9 days I had cereal twice and once a glass of it at night...got over the taste by day two. It really really helped.

#20520 - 01/06/06 12:28 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Hi Jen50...

Welcome to BWS...

I tried the soy milk...it just wasn't a big help for me...also ate soy beans by the handful.
What works for some, just doesn't work for others.

As of now...my symptoms aren't too bad. At least I'm sleeping 5 hours a night.
Still have days with brain fog...think everyone here at home is use to it now, and just ignores me when they can.

Nice to have you here...go to the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself to the other ladies.

#20521 - 02/08/06 02:40 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
writegirl1949 Offline

I'm so sorry I never got back to this thread until now. Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

I guess I just decided to "grin and bear it" -- hmmm, that's not quite true. More like complain and scream and cry and live with it. LOL.

Estroven helped a bit but it wasn't totally reliable. The hot sweats have decreased ... haven't had a period in 5 months ... and you know, now that I've written it, it'll come back, sorta like our kids, lol.

I find that emotional or stressful issues sometimes bring on my period and as I'm getting ready to return to the states after almost 3 years here, I'm not going to be upset if I have another period or two.

But I have a new question for any of you. Do you know or have you ever heard of sexual desires INCREASING during peri-menopause or menopause itself? I'm trying to do some research and I really feel like you ladies are more honest and open.

I don't want "confessions", lol. Even if you want to contact me privately, that's fine.

Hope it's okay to ask this. If not, let me know Dotsie.

Blessings, Francine

#20522 - 02/25/06 01:48 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
ChristinaR Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Another good Site with a lot of recommendations for natural treatment as an alternative to HRT is Power Surge.

http://www.power-surge.com/recommend.htm

#20523 - 02/25/06 01:52 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
ChristinaR Offline

Loc: Kentucky
quote:

But I have a new question for any of you. Do you know or have you ever heard of sexual desires INCREASING during peri-menopause or menopause itself? I'm trying to do some research and I really feel like you ladies are more honest and open.

Absolutely. Women produce testosterone as well as estrogen. When the estrogen starts to taper off the testosterone often is felt more strongly thus an increased libido. The down side is that eventually the ovaries also slack off on the production od the testosterone as well. So if your libido goes through the roof for awhile and then slacks off you can get a prescription for a vaginal cream that has testosterone in it to bring that level back up.

Here's a good article on testoserone and a woman's libido.

http://www.usdoctor.com/testtwo.htm

[ February 24, 2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: ChristinaR ]

#20524 - 02/27/06 05:19 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My increasing sexual desires have to do with the kids being out of the house more often. Enough of the sneaky love making. Come on empty nest. Anyone else find this true? And I'm perimenopausal for what that's worth.

I'll never forget the first year our oldest son was away at school and the other two were out on a Friday night. Hubby and I were all excited to have the house to ourselves...when all of the sudden there was a knock at the door. One of the college kids was home for the weekend and stopped by to say hi.

I swear, this house is like grand central.

[ February 26, 2006, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#20525 - 02/28/06 08:08 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm with you Dots. My kids were in the mountains this wk.end...we had the house to ourselves...we were swinging from the chandelere...I kept hearing noises. Ughhhh.

For me, being more ahem, active, is also a result of having become the woman I was suposed to be at 40. My best years lay ahead!

No more babies helps too!

danita

#20526 - 02/28/06 05:39 AM Re: Menopause or Mental Illness
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have to ask this question here rather than cover this thread....do any of you talk to yourselves. I mean carry on a conversations before you realize you're doing it? Never did it when younger but oh boy, I do it now... Wouldn't mind so much but when arguing with myself, I keep losing the argument.. [Confused]

[ February 28, 2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved