The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204915 - 06/21/10 05:36 PM Mothers of adult addicts
Granny Offline

Loc: WV
Don't get hung up on the word "mother" because it could just as easily say grandma or sister the main point is no matter what your relationship to the addict - you suffer along with them. I am a mother.
I am not an authority on this subject but I certainly have lived it. Lived through the process of addiction and seen what it has done to my child and to our family.
Perhaps by telling our stories we can help someone else or at least help them in not feeling so alone.

#204923 - 06/21/10 10:24 PM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: Granny]
Granny Offline

My son is an addict. Started many years and still continues today. I can recall the first time without any doubt that I knew in my heart and mind that he was doing drugs. He came in late one night with a friend of his and because my husband wouldn't shake his friends hands our son became combative. My husband a marine couldn't handle him so our oldest son came running and they both finally were able to restrain him. By that time I had already called the police (against my husband's wishes) and they had arrived. I met the officer outside and informed him of the situation and he informed me that he could take him to jail if that is what I desired. The next morning we were at the courthouse and the attorney press that our son go to rehab and the judge ordered it. He hated it and wanted to come home but stay he did for the 28 or 30 days. Sadly he learned nothing from rehab but he did learn from that night never to touch his father again because his butt would go to jail - mom's rule. He eventually progressed from oxycotin to heroin. Once he used in my home and the next morning I told him to leave and why. They have so many excuses for needing money and all they want it for is to buy drugs. I don't finance drugs. He would come to our home talking so sweet until he realized we were not giving him any money then he would suddenly lose his sweetness. Then we would be placed on ignore guess that was our punishment.
My husband was/is quite heart broken by his son. He has been for years hopeful in some way that he would turn his life around. He calls me a hard women but I know he means it in a loving way. This is not the child I raised and this is not the way we brought him up. This is a choice he has made and he will have to deal with the consequences. He is a middle age man now so not much I can do however I never let an opportunity pass when I know the situation is prime for him getting help. Once he called and told me how bad his feet were swollen and yellowish so I took that opportunity to call 911 and they sent the rescue squad out to his house. I could hear the sirens when they pulled up to his house. He knew what I had done and oh he was so angry. They took him to the emergency room and I met them there. He was dirty, smelled, nasty talking and pretty much out of his head at times. Don't remember how it came about but that night the police took him to a rehab hospital and there he stayed again. Once again upon release he was using again. He did years back come to us for help and I gave him the phone book to call a place. He did and for a year he went to the methodone clinic every morning for his pill. Now he goes to a place called pain management. They supply him with his drugs of methodone, xanax and who knows what else. Still using only now he has a prescription for his drugs. Guess when he is ready he will get his life together and until then all we can do is to remain strong. I am the mother of an adult addict.

#204930 - 06/22/10 01:39 AM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: Granny]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Again the women on this forum amazed me. You give so freely of your lives and never omit the pain and destruction, which you could certainly do. But I doubt your heart would let you.

I know without even questioning you that you want the world to learn from your own heartaches and disappointment, and sad experience.

I won't try to tell you to think positive or that you can change what has transpired. That would be insulting and I've never walked in your shoes.

I will say that whenever you need to vent, we're here and listening, reading, and growing because you opened up to us. We may not always comment, but we ARE digesting.

Thank you for sharing your story.

#204934 - 06/22/10 09:33 AM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: jawjaw]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Granny, your story is so heartbreaking. And I can imagine, no matter how often you tell yourself to keep that emotional distance from your son, it hurts, it’s frustrating, and I’m sure a lot of anger is there too. I can imagine this is even worse than losing a child to death, because all this is so damn unnecessary! You brought your son into this world, and what is he doing with this given life?
You have done all you can.
Quote:
Climb up on some hill at sunrise. Everybody needs perspective once in a while, and you'll find it there.
-Robb Sagendorph

#204950 - 06/23/10 12:18 AM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: Edelweiss2]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I so know what you mean Granny. My youngest son is an addict. He was a tenth degree black belt, health food nut and exceptional Chinese food cook. One night I am told he tried 'crack' while at his job as a bouncer for a band. That was in 1994 and he and his wife lived in my home. I noticed he was becoming abusive so stuck my nose in offering to get him medical help, it was my home afterall and I didn't raise any abusers. Long story short, they moved out and I haven't seen him since. That was 16 years ago. I have cried and worried until my heart just finally seems to have dried up. I don't think of him anymore at all...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#204955 - 06/23/10 04:04 AM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: chatty lady]
Granny Offline

Thank you for your replies and your understanding. Not easy to write but life isn't alway easy. Yes I want people to have an idea of what parents of addicts go through. They need to come out and seek support instead of blaming themselves for the choice their child chose. I didn't cram a pill (s) down my son's throat, or stuff white stuff up his nose or stick a needle in his arm and don't know of any other parents that have done that either. But there they are feeling guilty and shame over their son's or daughter's decision. My hope is they will come out from seclusion and see that they are not alone.
The saying that "one door never closes without another opening" is so true. I was doing chemo for ovarian cancer when we learned about my son's addiction. It wasn't difficult to be hard on him because here I was fighting for my life while he was throwing his away.
I don't have a hill to climb to seek refuge but I do have a front porch with views of the mountains in a rural area. Morning I have my coffee on the porch as I rock in my rocking chair and the evening a glass of tea. This is my peace.
Yes the women on this site are amazing. Their stories have touched my heart and the replies are so truly concerning that I just know these are wonderful woman.
Thank you, sincerely thank you for all your kindness.

#204977 - 06/23/10 10:25 PM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: Granny]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
I can only relate to this from the side of the addict. I wasted 4 years of my adult life (from 55 to 59) pouring alcohol down my throat, landing in several hospitals and rehab programs. Finally something clicked (as well as an appropriate mental health diagnosis) and I somehow managed to land with my feet on the ground. All I wanted to add in this conversation is that from this side of the fence you need to know that you are not at fault. No one forced that wine down my throat, I did it all to myself. It is the addict who is doing this to himself for some reason I'm not sure is fully understood even by the folks who study and research the field of substance abuse. I know it may be next to impossible (especially for parents who love to assume quilt) but please, please, instead of beating yourselves up give yourselves the credit you deserve for living through the pain and getting up to try to find peace a day at a time. Again, you are not at fault, your loved ones have a disease called addiction and only they can step up and 'treat' the disease. You can't do it for them.

#204980 - 06/24/10 02:38 AM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: greene]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I was married to an addict for around 25 years. It took a long time for me to realize it wasn't my fault, as my ex kept telling me, but I don't know if I would go back and change anything. My experiences have made me who I am today, and I'm comfortable with me right now.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#204988 - 06/24/10 07:32 PM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: yonuh]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
Yonah, luckily my husband of 37 years only had to live through 4 years of the hell I was putting him and all the family through. I can only imagine how difficult living thru 25 years of it must have been for you. Thankfully I never was mean enough to try to put the blame on him, I was very, very aware of who deserved all the blame, no one but me. It sounds like you have been through a lot and somehow came out at the other end in good shape. Congratulations, you must be a strong and resourceful woman.

#204991 - 06/24/10 11:06 PM Re: Mothers of adult addicts [Re: greene]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I think being married to him is what made me stronger - even if it took 25 years. Guess I'm a slow learner. smile I used to be a meek, retiring little doormat who wouldn't say 'boo' to a goose. Who knew I had it in me!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved