The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#190855 - 09/30/09 05:45 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm all for paying off credit cards every month. I hope we've taught our kids to do the same.

Mom and Dad always said, "If you can't afford to pay for it, don't buy it." Makes sense.

However, I do recall having credit card debt at the beginning fo the year due to Christmas shopping. Now I try to start a few months early and spread it out. Have gotten a few things already.

#199766 - 02/17/10 04:29 AM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: ]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
"Neither a borrower or lender be". Not sure where I heard that, but NO CREDIT cards in THIS house!

You are "owned/enslaved" by the cc companies. It's enough to be indebted to a mortgage, isn't it??

#199799 - 02/17/10 11:13 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
The quote is from Hamlet: Polonius counseling his son Laertes. And I don't know what recesses of the brain that got dredged up from! My brain is constantly amazing me; I can't remember what I did yesterday, but this kind of trivia is constantly rising to the surface!! smile
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#199802 - 02/17/10 11:59 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: yonuh]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Your memory is impressive yonuh....I know what you mean about forgetting what you did yesterday though...I'd love to know why that happens to our memories..I can remember intricate details of my life from 40 yeaars ago but ask me what I ate for lunch today and I have to think about it for a long time..:)

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#199803 - 02/18/10 12:52 AM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: AvalonBlondi]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I think it's because, at our age, we have so much stuffed into our brains, there's no room for new stuff. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!! LOL
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#203643 - 05/19/10 03:47 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: yonuh]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Pay off your credit cards, lock all but one away and pay that balance every month if possible.

Women tend to have poorer credit records. It would NOT be my advice to younger working women to go without building a credit record! That is a disservice, especially when circumstances change and women are so easily penalized for being older, earning less money, and being poorer credit risks.

Also, women statistically tend to save less money and participate less in company retirement plans than men. We need to change attitudes and become as fully involved as men in how we handle our own money and financial planning.

#203665 - 05/19/10 10:31 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: jakkom]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Welcome Jakkom, don't remember seeing your name before. I agree with you about paying off all credit cards but one and hopefully that one will be a credit/debit bank card, NO interest!

Women are sometimes preceived a poorer credit risk but I don't think most are. Women in most instances I have known keep the records, pay the bills etc. for the home when married, so if no longer married why wouldn't they continue to do so on their own?

The women I feel sorry for are the ones who innocently trust the husband to do it all and then when he dumps them they are like a deed caught in the headlights...

I have always advised all women (in my advice column) to educate themselves, know what they own as a couple, have and make sure their names on everything; so if he dropped over tomorrow they'd know where everything was and what to do with it....

And don't think it can't happen to you. My first husband died after just 5 years, and I was that deer in the headlights. But many, many years later when my second husband passed, I hade it all under control big time, and what a difference that made...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#203681 - 05/20/10 03:05 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: chatty lady]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Yes, but it isn't a question of us thinking women are as good credit risks as men. It's the financial institutions and credit agencies who make that decision, and women ARE perceived as poor credit risks if they don't take steps to protect themselves.

I have separate credit from my DH and there were several times when his cards were issued with a higher limit than mine. A very interesting difference that no one would realize save that I kept my own name after marriage, so it was very obvious to us there is real discrimination going on.

#203683 - 05/20/10 03:12 PM Re: Save or pay off credit cards? [Re: jakkom]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Pay them off. Cut them up. Period. Have one for travel purposes and use it only then.

I cannot believe the government lets the CC companies get away with the interest they charge over time. It is criminal.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved