The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202464 - 04/19/10 01:56 PM Getting back at it
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
In May, 2009 I decided to sign up for a marathon (Team in Training) for my 55th birthday. I began training as a power walker.

It was turning out to be done of the best decisions I made in a long time. I was eating healthy, getting very toned, and dropped 40 pounds. Whooo hoooo!

Then all hell broke loose. About 3 months into the training I broke my ankle. Two weeks later my dad was diagnosed with small cell cancer. Four weeks later he transitioned.

Since that time (October 2009) my mom has been very, very ill. In the hospital a lot in the last 2 1/2 months with me staying at her home a great deal of the time.

I live 500 miles from my mother but am able to run my business wherever there is Internet connections.

With all that occurred I stopped my power walking and am now ready to get back into it.

I figured by "putting it out for all to see" I will be even more committed.

And there you have it!

#202491 - 04/19/10 08:51 PM Re: Getting back at it [Re: KathleenGageSpeaker]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
So sorry to hear about all of your troubles Kathleen, I hope your Mom is on the mend...

Good luck in your self challenge to jump start your walking training again...check back in often and update us on your progress...Go For It Girlfriend!!!

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#204734 - 06/16/10 08:31 AM Walking Once More... [Re: AvalonBlondi]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Today I walked my "you know what" off. I was exhausted but happy I did it. I walk nights now because in daytime it's over 100* and too darn hot. I have started walking in place again and thats always a success.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#204780 - 06/17/10 02:34 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: chatty lady]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Walking is the exercise of my choice since several problems keep me from other types of exercise. I am walking every morning for 30-40 minutes, although I have yet to see the results. But it does give me a better start to my day.

Hooray for all the walkers. Don't give up.
NABBW & NAWW

#205120 - 06/28/10 02:06 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: Songbird]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
WB & I walk a great deal because geocaching requires it. So doing that sport is not only fun, but it's good for a person, too.

#205187 - 06/29/10 02:51 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

It's only fitting for a "songbird" to walk, lol!!!

#205248 - 06/30/10 01:06 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Kathleen...I'm sorry to hear you and your family have gone through so much but am happy to hear you are continuing with your dream...that shows what strength you have and you're an inspiration for me to get up and walk. Keep smiling and keep walking...very proud of you.

#205255 - 06/30/10 01:25 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Kathleen,
Sorry you broke your ankle; sorry to hear about your daddy
and momma. Glad you're back walking again, however. It hurts
more to see someone we love have difficulties, than when
problems fall on us personally. God's blessings!

#205658 - 07/10/10 11:25 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I hope you are getting around okay Kathleen. I broke my ankle at the same time I badly sprained the other one and the broken one didn't hurt as bad as the sprain.

#205977 - 07/21/10 01:45 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

I agree. I sprained my arm once and it killed!

#205980 - 07/21/10 04:18 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Sorry, Kathleen, to hear of all that you have been through in the past few years. But, I am happy to hear that you are out and about walking once more.

I have been walking more lately, and I am enjoying getting out of the house and smelling, seeing and listening to the outdoors. No power walking for me, but at least I am off of the couch more often.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#206005 - 07/22/10 02:38 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: Anno]
jabber Offline

I'm happy that you are walking, Anno. The outdoors is soothing
to the soul; love warm breezes and singing birds and scampering
critters. Love seeing the whitetail deer bounce over the ground and watch the wild geese huddle in groups. Cool stuff!

#206425 - 08/04/10 09:24 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Too hot here for walking, the air is actually hard to breath in. Feels like somethings over your face when out in it. Now I wish I had bought an exercise walker, but wow are they expensive, the good ones anyway.

#206494 - 08/05/10 01:14 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: chatty lady]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I haven't walked for months....and I feel it too. The heat and humidity has been horribly hot here this summer, and it doesn't matter what time of the day or night it is neither. It's just plain hot! It was 108 degrees yesterday, and the heat index was up around 115 to 120. Miserable! 90 degree weather will feel like a cool breeze after these temps we have been having.

#207066 - 08/25/10 01:45 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: Cookie]
jabber Offline

Weather that hot, seems to suck the energy right out of a person. I know when it gets hot here, and 90 degrees is hot for
this area, I don't want to do anything. I can't imagine how you
folks manage, when it gets above 100 degrees on a steady basis.
I'd be in the AC and never go outside, if I were in a heat index
at the level you're mentioning.

#207081 - 08/25/10 06:28 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I was walking faithfully for months til a couple weeks ago.
NABBW & NAWW

#207088 - 08/25/10 09:28 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: Songbird]
jabber Offline

I hear ya!

#207346 - 09/03/10 08:04 AM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Has anyone tried those new type gym shoes that are suppose to make our butts and legs slim fast and look like athletes? Do they work or what?

#207352 - 09/03/10 02:55 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't know if they work or not, but I have been wearing Earth shoes for almost 2 years now and my calves have much better definition than they did before. I can't say the same for my butt - there's no antidote that I know of for gravity!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#207360 - 09/03/10 07:11 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: yonuh]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I don't know. It sounds like a gimmic to me.

#207550 - 09/09/10 02:01 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: ]
Ellemm Offline

Another reply to help move the spam away.

Out, out!

#208254 - 10/08/10 12:49 AM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: Ellemm]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Don't reply to a spam or other type bad post. Send a PM to Anne so she can delete it, once one of us replys it cannot be deleted...

#208500 - 10/19/10 01:13 PM Re: Walking Once More... [Re: chatty lady]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
About the shoes.........if you're talking about the Skecher's Shape Up's I have a pair of the original style they came out with and yes, when I wear them, I can feel it in my legs and butt the next day. And this is from somebody who walks every morning and then goes to the gym 5 days a week for weight lifting, step, Pilates, and Zumba classes. So I think they work. They've recently come out with a newer lower profile (not as built up in the sole, more like a regular aerobic shoe or sneaker) that you can supposedly wear for longer periods of time. When the first shoe came out it came with a DVD that warned you NOT to wear the shoe all day. It said you should start out wearing it for 30 minutes and then build up the time. Well I never did that. When I wear them, I tend to wear them all day, and they've never bothered me, it's not like I can't move the next day or anything. They're actually very comfortable. But I guess lots of women wanted to wear them all day and they saw that it would be profitable to make a lower version but I believe the price is about the same.........they're close to $100, I think. With that said, they are not good for anybody who has any type of balance problem or foot problem or trouble walking. I also have the FitFlops and love them, they're very comfortable, but I can't say I've ever felt any kind of muscle toning in my legs because of them.
A friend of mine recently bought a pair of Reebok EasyTone shoes. She wore them recently for the first time, all day, when we went hiking thru the woods for a couple of hours, out to lunch, did some shopping, etc. She loved them, and I tried them on, and liked them too. The next day she said she could feel it in her legs. They look much more like a regular sneaker than the Skecher's and I am thinking about getting a pair but since I already have the Skecher's, trying to convince myself I don't need to spend the money! Think they're about $80?? Champion makes a similar version that is being sold at Payless Shoes for $30 but they are not nearly as comfortable as the Reebok's for me. Tried on the Champions but didn't buy them. Just did not feel good on my feet. But the style is something you could wear anywhere, just looks like a regular sneaker.
With all that said...........my honest opinion is that it doesn't really matter what shoe you wear, as long as you get out and MOVE!! You don't need special shoes to build up your legs and butt. I just went to the Southern Women's show last weekend and of course vendors are pushing all kinds of crap promising to help us lose weight, shape our bodies, whiten our teeth, make our skin look younger, you name it. Yes I love trying some of this stuff as well as the next gal, but come on. Take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, get a good night's sleep, we all really know the drill. Doing it is something else!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved