The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#20109 - 11/19/04 10:30 PM question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I've heard that after you haven't had your period for a year, you are in menopause. Does that mean all the symptoms should be gone after that year? Please forgive my stupidity...

#20110 - 11/19/04 10:39 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Either that or you've given birth...you will know right away which one it is too...

what?

JJ

#20111 - 11/19/04 10:57 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
JJ,
LOL LOL LOL
But seriously, I'm glad you asked that Dotsie, my friend and I are just getting started on this and were discussing it this morning. We are both getting the flashes and I know I've been forgetful. Some other unmentionable symtoms also. How long does this last?

#20112 - 11/20/04 12:27 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
As soon as you guys have an answer, I'd appreciate it if you'd call my family and let them in on it. I overhear them talking about turning me loose in the woods at night. I think the only thing that prevents them from going ahead with their plot is the fear I'd find my way back home and then they'd really be in for it.

My doc told me the other day that perimenopause is defined as the period of "symptoms" leading up to menopause and menopause can only be diagnosed after you've actually gone through it. That would lead me to believe that once I'm through it, my symptoms are over. Unfortunately, I'll likely be living wild in the forest by then and no one will know but me. [Wink]

#20113 - 11/20/04 01:22 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
TVC15 Offline

Thanks Sher.
I can't wait to tell my friend that there is a name for what we have! Perimenopause. It still sucks though!

#20114 - 11/20/04 01:28 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Gee, there's puberty, then menses, then pregnancy and post-partum depression. Then you get peri menopause and menopause then post menopause and osteoporosis then senility and old age and by then death is probably a relief.

The whole thing is making me cranky. I think I'll head for the forest now.
Boy it's always something.
smile

#20115 - 11/20/04 03:09 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh puleaseeee...what a bunch of whiney-butts...

Listen up. Use this period of time in your life to have some fun and at the same time, get that revenge you've only dreamed about. I mean...your family knows you're unpredictable...play it up?

"Honey, what's for supper?
"Anything you want to fix BUCKO...are we clear?"

"Sugar, have you seen the TV remote?"
"You want to watch TV while I'm suffering and in need of chocolate? Do you want me to die? Do you want me to expire on the spot? Are you truly that thoughtless?" (when he runs from the room, sit back and turn the TV back on...enjoy)

These are just the tip of the ice berg girls! Use your imagination! Make your children afraid NOT to clean their rooms. Make them VERY afraid. You will get more help and more boxes of chocolate than you can imagine.

What are you women, rookies?

JJ

#20116 - 11/20/04 03:26 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
[Big Grin] DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THIS WOMAN AND HER REMARKABLE HUMOR, I DO!!! [Big Grin]

I am convinced that when Erma Bombeck passed away her unique & wonderful spirit went in search of a home and found our Queen JJ.. Georgia you RULE!! [Razz]

#20117 - 11/20/04 03:35 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Okay Miss Queenie Bombeck. I say you just stop that cheerful crap when I'm having a major PITY PARTY here.

What do you think I'm doing all that whining for? Of course it's to get myself up for a major MAN-up-your-lation!!

I already got Dan bringing me dinner (left over chili that HE heated up) and loading the dishes in the dishwasher and letting me hold the remote. All cause I think I'm having a hot flash or something which means I have to lay on the couch with my laptop, watch TV, talk on the phone, and POST on the boomersite.

Hormones!!
smile

#20118 - 11/20/04 05:07 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well holy moly! Why didn't you say so? Now THAT my flashin' friends is a Veteran in motion...pure genius...and you say he gives you the remote too? Oh I'm so proud of you! Keep it up and next thing ya know, he'll be filling up your car with gas, and putting that stuff in it for ya...let's see, what's it called? Oh yeah, oil.

JJ

#20119 - 11/20/04 05:32 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Hey JJ,
YOu say OIL??
I thought that was what they wore on their HEAD?
You mean it goes in a CAR??

And GAS? I thought that was from BEans!!
Who knew?

smile

P.S. Just don't be shinin' on my pity party!!

[ November 19, 2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#20120 - 11/20/04 05:59 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Dear Poor Pitiful Pearl....

You don't worry your little menopausal head bout it, k? You just keep on being sad, and pitiful, and craz--er..ah..sad, and before you know it, he'll have your car in tip top shape for ya.

Then you can take HIS plastic and go do a little shopping therapy...

You poor dear! Having all that stress! I'd get him to hold the remote for you while you push the buttons. You really shouldn't exert yourself in your condition...you fragile little thing!
(how's that?)

JJ

#20121 - 11/20/04 06:19 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Boy JJ, When you're right, you are RIGHT!!

I got so DEPRESSED, he had to bring me some RUM and Coke. Now he's playing that seventies music and boy is it ever hard to look sad when my feet want to DANCE.

Oh woe is me.

smile

#20122 - 11/20/04 03:36 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

a girl's gotta do...what a girl's gotta do. Get up and dance! You can always go back to the PR (pitiful routine) in the morning!

JJ

#20123 - 11/20/04 03:51 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile and the queen...I think the two of you should write a play and you could both be the main characters. I bet it would be a hoot. Somethng along the lines of Menopause The Musical?

Okay, now I'm serious...after a year of no periods, do the symptoms go away?

#20124 - 11/20/04 04:57 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
TVC15 Offline

Smile,
Do you really get the REMOTE? Wow, I'm so impressed. (Bowing at your feet) I can't wait until I can get the remote! Did you start slowly or did you just grab it right out of his hands? I'm so jealous.

And thanks Nancy for the great information. It sounds like sooo much fun...LOL

#20125 - 11/20/04 05:30 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Hey Dots,
The play has already been done.

It was a musical comedy. I wrote, directed, and performed "Hormones, Hormones, Hormones" with a couple of grilfriends in 1998. We did it for an international medical conference.
The song lyrics were published in their international newsletter (is that a hoot or not?) and NBC came out here and filmed the whole thing.
I got to go to California to sign the papers, etc. for it to go on TV (met with a bunch of rich looking people - and Jay Leno?) But at the last moment it was scrapped.... Bummer. But it was a lot of fun.

smile

#20126 - 11/21/04 08:02 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I had to have a hysterectomy when I was in my early 30's. I was on the HRT (patch) for years. Just went off about 18 months ago. Have hot flashes but they are slowly getting better. Vitamin E helps, Black Kohosh (sp) and Flaxseed Oil. You'll begin to notice that you aren't experiencing so much discomfort.

Belleruth Naparstak says, "Hot flashes are our bodies way of burning off what it no longer needs!" I like that.

#20127 - 11/21/04 05:11 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dotsie, speaking fromm my own experience. My period that was expected May 10th.1990, NEVER came, and never had another from that time forward. Most of the symptoms did disappear after a year or so except the feeling of sadness at the time I am suppose to be having a period and the desire for chocolate is still there then to, not always but almost always and that was 14 years ago, so go figure....Never missed those pesky bleeding rituals however. [Razz]

#20128 - 11/21/04 07:23 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Crankiness
b-tchiness
erratic mood swings

Yup, that's my husband. [Roll Eyes]

Someone 'round here has got to be sane.

#20129 - 11/22/04 11:01 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, we have to remember this for the BWS Convention. I think it would be perfect!

Did you meet Leno? You have accomplished so much in your life. Every now and then you throw us a bone. I love it!

#20130 - 11/23/04 01:18 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

I did meet Jay Leno. He was really nice and very polite. He was wearing a denim shirt and blue jeans. He was so cute.
They plied me with wine and I got nervous or something. I said something stupid like, "I can't believe I'm geting to meet all the movie stars."
He said, "Aw, I'm not really in the movies. It's just TV."
I said, "Same thing. Same thing."

It's a miracle he didn't call his security guards to haul me off.

smile

#20131 - 11/23/04 06:52 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smile, I love it. SOunds like something I would say. [Big Grin]

#20132 - 11/23/04 10:17 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dotsie,
I deleted my last message I figure it was not that inportant to read about Medapause . I did start late at (55) and taking "Activalla" and that helps with the night sweats and man I can't stand you being around me . Every knock sounds like a bang . I could not stand anyone around me. My period stopped for a year before they put me on estrogen . The doctors now don't want to leave you on the estrogen to long.

It is good to laugh about it . Menapause can be funny at times. [Roll Eyes]

Nancy

#20133 - 11/24/04 05:35 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
No, Dotsie. It varies. Everyone is different of course, but menopause lasts longer than that. [Frown] The changing goes on and on. I don't remember how long it took, now. But, I think I'm all changed. Sometimes I think maybe I'll change back now. But it's not so bad, except for the memory loss, the wrinkles, the constant peeing, and the mustache. [Roll Eyes] At least we can't get pregnant. Speaking of which, was that 57 year old woman who just had a baby nuts? How did that happen? The phone would ring and I'd put the kid down and forgot where I put him by the time I hung up the phone. Knowing what I know now though, I wouldn't take any crap from anyone in the PTA - not the teachers, the principal or anyone, even if they are nuns.
[Big Grin]
Louisa

#20134 - 11/24/04 06:08 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Louisa, thanks. I need to get a good book about this. DJ has told me about Dr. Lee's books. I think it's time! [Eek!]

#20135 - 11/26/04 06:54 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dotsie, don't know if this will help you or not, but I've been menapausal for over 2 years and I still have symptoms. Especially the hot flashes.

I had surgery to remove my uterus over 20 years ago and surgery to remove my ovaries over 2 years ago. Maybe it's different because my menapause was "forced" instead of natural.

I can't help you with the mood part. I am on mood stabilizers and anti depressants for my bipolar so I don't have mood swings.

I take some natural herbs like black cohosh and raspberry leaves, etc for menapause. So my symptoms aren't as severe anyway. I guess the only thing that bothers me are the hot flashes. I'd hate to think how bad they'd be if I wasn't taking anything at all.

#20136 - 01/27/05 10:03 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
LadySims Offline

Loc: St.Petersburg
Hi Dotsie, I haven't had my Period in 3 years & I'm Still suffering w/occaisional Hot Flashes but I'm used to them now. I also have or should I say haven't any control over my Emotions, but I guess that's Normal for a girl, right ? LOL [Smile] Chocholate, umm I thought that was part of the Food Groups ? I know I have to eat it Every day. I thought once I had Men-oh-pause, I wouldn't get P.M.S anymore but I do, it's just not as bad as it once was. I only think about Killing someone once a month now. LOL [Smile] Last year I stubbed my pinky toe & it turned black 'n blue, when I mentioned it to my doctor she scheduled a Bone-Denceity Test for me & the outcome wasn't good. Now I have to take Caluicm Tablets, YUCK !!! As far as I know, things will only get worse, but than that's just me. Do any of you older ladies know what we can expect in the coming years ???

#20137 - 01/27/05 11:17 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Yes. First all your parts will gain 100 lbs. apiece. Then they will drag on the ground. Then they fall off. [Razz]

#20138 - 01/27/05 05:21 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

haaa ahhha hhhaaaa hhaaaa
haaa haaaa Ahhh, cough cough choke choke, Yowl.

Don't forget peeing when u laugh [Eek!]

Oh Meredith, your hilarious!

chickadee

#20139 - 01/27/05 07:15 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
unique Offline

That's good to know!! I can skip the diet part and just wait til the parts fall off!

#20140 - 01/30/05 07:53 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MClubPrez Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ said:
Listen up. Use this period of time in your life to have some fun and at the same time, get that revenge you've only dreamed about. I mean...your family knows you're unpredictable...play it up?

"Honey, what's for supper?
"Anything you want to fix BUCKO...are we clear?"

I decided that since I was going through a change, everyone I live with should go through a change too. Unfortunately for them, they are all male.

Husband: "Make me a grocery list, Honey?"
Me: I ripped off a piece of scrap paper, wrote the word "FOOD" on it, and handed it to him.

I am saving a LOT of breath these days.

Let's hear some more quotes Boomers!

Kathryn

#20141 - 01/31/05 08:02 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Well, next time he says
"Make me a grocery list, Honey?"

You say

"Poof! You're a grocery list!"

what?

#20142 - 01/30/05 09:13 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

This menopause thing has to come with a disclaimer.

So, we've gotten rid of PMS or as my husband calls it, Mad Cow Disease. The men can't blame anything on PMS anymore so they switch it to Menopause (men pause and say, oh) so they have yet another reason to not do what you want them to do or give you that "look" that blames any mood on this change.

My husband blamed my grouchiness on it...not what he did or didn't do that just irritated my skin off! We just can't win.

All women are different. Some go through the change longer than others. I still have the occassional hot flash or else, it's the niacin I'm taking. Haven't decided yet.

Change is good. Menopause comes with some really good changes like...you don't give a rip what others think anymore. Could be age too!

[ January 30, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#20143 - 02/06/05 07:55 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Kristie Leigh Maguire Offline

Since I am new here at Boomers, I've been reading through some of the back posts. This discussion on menopause is hillarious.

I started going into menopause earlier I think...in my early 40's. Talk about something that I could do without! I haven't been the same since. Guess that's why they call it the CHANGE, huh? LOL

I got on HRT as soon as I could get my doc to prescribe them for me. I recently ran out of my prescription while in St. Croix and was off the treatment for about 2 months. I was thinking that surely I could stay off the meds now. Nuh uh. The hot flashes, the mood swings, the flowing of tears at the least little thing all started over again. Bottom line: I begged my doc for a new prescription when I got back to Nevada.

I don't think it ever ends. Somebody please tell me I am wrong on this.

#20144 - 02/08/05 02:48 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
mammajude Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
Hi Kristie, welcome, I'm kinda new here too.
I'm 48 and in perimenopause. OH JOY IT IS>>>>>ha ha.
Besides going through a lot of other stuff in my life.. this just adds to it. I use the progesterone cream. I think it helps. I get hot and cold flashes, moodiness, etc etc... all the classic symptoms..Exercise really helps when I stick to it that is...
I also wonder how long this will last...

#20145 - 02/08/05 09:53 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Kristie Leigh Maguire Offline

mammajude, I have come to the conclusion that it lasts till you die and they bury you.

#20146 - 02/08/05 09:20 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Mamma, I think it stops after you haven't menstruated for a year. Help. Is that right?

I take a low dose of the birth control pill and it helps tremendously with mood and flow.

I've never taken the pill in the past so I figure a couple years on it now to get me through this peri-menopause angst won't hurt.

#20147 - 02/08/05 09:56 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
mammajude Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
They were going to put me on a low dose pill but I have high cholesterol and they said it wouldn't mix with the Lipator I take. Figures... Kristie I certainly hope it won't last till we die.. ha ha.
That would be awful. I hear from my older women friends that it will pass. Your right Dotsie you have to wait until a year passes without it. OH JOY> I'll probably be 60.. ha ha.

#20148 - 02/19/05 11:40 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Dotsie,

I found this link www.hormonehelpny.com/questions/hormone_074.htm

Unfortunately, I went into menopause because of a hysterectomy 3 years ago. I have had symptoms ever since, so I would really love to know when it will end also.

I hope this helps with answering your question.

Cheers,
Cathi

#20149 - 02/20/05 03:03 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well Kristie from personal experience my body began in my late 40's to change and I was into full fledge Menopause at age 50 when my period stopped and never returned. I am one of the lucky ones I guess, other than mode swings which could also be attributed to a rotten marriage thats the only suffering I've done. By age 60 a full ten years all's well and NO ladies it doesn't go on forever. I said in an earlier post that all I ever took was Wild Yam Capsules, one a day did the trick. Stopped those about 4 years ago. I felt fine and still do. I looked forward to NO MORE PERIODS!! I think going into this condition, "The Change" happily does make a difference. There is nothing to fear. [Big Grin]

#20150 - 02/20/05 09:28 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dannye Offline

Loc: Prophetstown, IL
I started having period changes in my early 40s. The last time I experienced a period was September, 1996, when I was 47 years old. (Must have been a red letter date for me since I remember the month!)

The only symptoms I ever had were rather unique hot flashes. One ear would turn bright red! I could feel the heat. So I knew it was happening, but when you have short hair with exposed ears, it can be rather embarrassing. It wasn't always the same ear - so they were balanced hot flashes (!) My husband says that I never had mood swings that were any different than the ones I had before [Big Grin]

I tried hormone therapy once for about two weeks at my mother's insistence. It made me feel weird. So I quit. I tried Estroven once to see if my ear thing would stop, but I didn't like them either. I guess I don't like to take medicine.... Anyway, I always feel better without the treatments. I took birth control pills for 15 years when I was young - so I definitely didn't want to get back on them.

Anyway, I'm 56 this month, and I have no more symptoms of any kind that can be blamed on menopause. Now if I could figure out how to live a stress-free life, I would either have a perfect life or be bored out of my mind.
LOL

#20151 - 02/20/05 10:37 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MClubPrez Offline

I went to see Menopause the Musical yesterday with some girlfriends. Getting ready, I rushed around looking for my glasses, got flustered, had a hot flash, almost cried, and flew out of the house without my glasses OR my coat!

How appropriate to have a menopausal meltdown on the way to a play about menopause... [Roll Eyes]

Has anyone seen the musical yet?

#20152 - 02/20/05 11:45 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

I've not seen it, but would love to hear more. Several years ago I wrote a short musical called Hormones, Hormones, Hormones and was recently contacted by a Women in Business organization about performing it. Any info about the Menopause musical would be helpful.
smile

#20153 - 02/21/05 05:20 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
MClubPrez Offline

smile, they have a website at Menopause the Musical

how exciting! where and when will you be performing Hormones?!

#20154 - 02/21/05 06:52 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Thanks Prez. I'll check that out. The performance will be in Michigan. Not sure of the exact location or date yet and I know from experience that lots can change before anything actually hits the stage, but it's been fun revising the script and songs. The Menopause website will help I'm sure. Thanks again.
smile

#20155 - 02/21/05 09:38 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kathryn, I saw it with some friends about a year ago. We laughed so hard. Every single topic they touched on hit home. We guffawed so much that a man sitting with his wife kept giving us dirty looks, but we couldn't control ourselves.

Smile, tell us more about your play.

#20156 - 02/23/05 05:54 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I saw it too, last summer, with my mother and sister. It was absolutely hysterical! I think it is on national tour, so it comes to your area, do yourself a favor and check it out.

#20157 - 03/05/05 11:38 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
coffeemom Offline

Dotsie, I don't know the answer, but I'd like to know, too. I haven't had a period since September, but I've had hot flashes consistently. I won't miss those!

Also, I constantly crave sweets. I wish that would go away. It's a fight to keep the weight down.

Coffeemom

#20158 - 03/05/05 09:03 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I read somewhere that menopause can last from 12 months to 6-7 years..

#20159 - 03/06/05 06:18 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Coffeemom go to Wal-mart and for $1.44 a bag buy some sugar free NIPS. They come in a creamy carmel flavor or a chocolaty coffee. GREAT and won't pack on any weight. No one has to do without sweets these days... [Roll Eyes]

Menopause for only 12 months, in what solar system??? Oh, if only it were true... [Eek!]

#20160 - 03/06/05 01:46 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

coffeemom, from someone else who love that morning java:

if you have too much caffeine, that may cause hot flashes. If you drink a lot now, cut down gradually so you won't be as migrained during withdrawal.

I'm down to one or two cups a day. I used to drink a lot more.

#20161 - 03/07/05 11:07 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

There's chatty talking about those Nips again. Thanks for looking out for us Chatty.

#20162 - 05/07/05 07:46 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
maryanne stahl Offline

Loc: Savannah
LOL

I'm READY for menopause (I think). Thought I was in it when I missed my period last month. Doc actually did a pregnancy test. (WHEW! I wasn't) So of course then I got my period.

I'm 51. No hot flashes ever but I do take SSRIs which I think may prevent them. My memory is gone, I'm tired all the time, so when am I going to go through menopause? Or am I?

#20163 - 05/07/05 03:19 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
What a hilarious discussion! I'll be 51 this month and have been having night sweats and erratic periods. My last one was ten days! Can you believe it? I thought it would never end. Menopause is doing wonders for my sense of humor. Forget drugs. My plan is to laugh my way through it. [Big Grin] Of course, I might change my opinion if I begin having non-stop hot flashes and start crying at the drop of a pin. Stay tuned. I'm just at the beginning of this. But it's great to know I can come here for solice. Ha! [Eek!]

#20164 - 05/07/05 11:09 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
smilinize Offline

Seems like us women are always in some hormonal crisis.
First there's puberty, then PMS. Then pregnancy and post partum depression. After that we move on to para menopause and menopause and post menopause and alzheimers and...
Heck I think I hear my hormones moaning now.
It's always something....
smile

#20165 - 05/14/05 12:59 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I believe I will be expereinceing surgical menopause after my hysterectomy.

Has anybody gone through that and what was it like?

Lynn

#20166 - 05/14/05 06:22 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Yep, I did Lynn and the doc put me on hormones to bring me out of it.

I'm 57, should be over this menopause gig but still have these sudden hot flashes and they usually happen when you are trying to make a good impression! Who knows when they will end.

Something else I've noticed. I always slept in a warm room at night but now, I turn on the ceiling fan and along with the AC and open a window. My husband is next to me with a terry cloth robe and the blankets pulled up to his ears, shaking and freezing and I'm lying there, stripped to nothing but my flesh and have kicked off the covers and sweating. Turning the pillows to find the cool spot. I've forgotten what a good nights sleep is! It just simply...sucks!

[ May 13, 2005, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#20167 - 05/14/05 06:30 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Lynn -

I had a full hysterectomy in 2001 due to some problems I was having with my period. Up until that time I had no symptoms of menopause.

After the hysterectomy I got the hot flashes, night sweats, etc etc - but once I got the estrogen meds right - everything was fine.

But last month my doctor decided to hold my body hostage by not renewing my estrogen until I had my mammogram done. So I'm "cold turkey-ing" it and so far -- not so bad. I've had a few hot flashes and at night I get hot -- but not the terrible night sweats I used to get -- so I think that I will be able to stay off the estrogen from now on (hope hope hope hope hope)

I'll tell ya though -- its worth every hot flash I've gotten to NOT HAVE A PERIOD anymore !!! Talk about freedom !! It ranks right up there with my husbands vastectomy ;-)

#20168 - 05/14/05 06:17 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I found a way to cool my body down at night when I'm so hot I can't sleep. Now, some of you can't do this because you have young children. I walk around the dark house in the nude. I know, not a pretty sight to think about but it works. I jump back into bed and can fall asleep.

Lionspaaw, you might find that you lose weight being off the estrogen. I did. It was tough at first but I'm now doing better. I now have a ton of energy and feel great.

#20169 - 05/15/05 07:33 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, I have a friend who had a hysterectomy. She breezed right through it, but she was on estrogen immediately after surgery.

#20170 - 05/15/05 08:13 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I also breezed right through my surgery -- and was put on estrogen immediately after -- but I'm glad I'm off now. Maybe, as Dianne suggested, I can lose a pound or two -- course -- I still have to deal with the thyroid ;-)

#20171 - 06/24/05 07:18 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I haven't had surgery or anything. About 10 years ago I found out I had fibroids but have learned to live with them. A couple of years ago when I had a Pap the Dr. said they had gotten so small she could barely detect them.
I am now 55 and still having that dang period. Sometimes it is normal, other times it flows everywhere and then again there is the clotting. All of this I could live without.
My mother had a partial hysterectemy so don't know how early she would have stopped. My twin just had a complete hysterectemy because of endometrial cancer. My older sister just stopped after she had breast cancer surgery. So I have no idea just how long I'll continue.
Does anyone have any ideas on how long we can go? I read some women can go till they are in their 60's. Please God enough.

#20172 - 06/25/05 04:44 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well personally my last period (thank you God) was on the 10th of May 1990. I was 50 years old and have never had another one. I am fortunate however to never have hd so much as a hot flash or other problem due to Menopause. I looked forward to it and embraced it so it was my friend, they say attitude has alot to do with this time in our lives. I don't know I was just lucky I guess. [Big Grin]

#20173 - 06/26/05 03:24 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

sandpiper, I don't have an answer for you. Someone else may.

Please tell us how your twin and older sister are doing. How many kids in your family?

I guess you stay on top of your health issues based on what your siblings have experienced. I hope so.

I am one of five. My sister is a breast cancer survivor.

Get this, Mom was from a family of nine children. Two are still living. Five of the seven who died had cancer. Frightening, huh?

#20174 - 06/26/05 11:29 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
writegirl1949 Offline

Sandpiper, I'll be 56 this November ... and I still have my period but it's periodic ... LOL, LOL. Seems stress brings it on. My sister, who is 3 years younger than I am stopped about 5 years ago. Wish I knew the answer.

And Dotsie, it seems like more and more folks are dying of cancer ... not that that fact will bring comfort. Besides my mom and step-dad, we've had about 4 very close friends die of cancer in the last few years.

It is frightening ... especially when so many in your family have died of the disease. I'm sorry -- it must be hard.

Blessings, Francine

#20175 - 06/27/05 04:19 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Dotsie - My twin sister is doing great. They caught all the cancer before it spread anywhere, however, the Doc. took out some of the lymph nodes just to be sure. She didn't have to do Chemo or radiation or anything, thank God! My older sister is great. She took chemo for three months once a month. She did great during that time. No cancer there - again my thanks to God.
Yes, it scares me about it. You know, every little new thing you get, your mind goes oh no, I suppose it could be cancer. But so far I've been ok.
I am the last of six children. The story goes that when they told my Dad there were twins, he said I guess it is time to stop when they start coming in two's.
Dotsie, that's scary that so many of your Aunts and Uncles have died of cancer. How is your sister doing? It is a tough think to worry about and see them go through it, right?

Writegirl - I am glad for you that it is on again/off again. I am happy for any woman who stops that mess. Just hoping I do shortly. It seems like the 50's are not too great at times. My twin and I turned 50 in November 1999 and my mother died January 3, 2000. A lot has gone on since then but you know the old sayings, "I've been 30, 20's better, I've been 40, 30's better, I'm 50's and the 40's are better." Some days that's how it feels.

Sandpiper

#20176 - 06/27/05 06:58 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

Hi Sandpiper,

I too have fibroids and keep a check on them. They will disappear completely when we reach menopause.
I am 51 ( the usual age to start, but everyone is different)and still waiting on results to see if I am peri-menopausal. I have had 2 missed periods in one year, and had one loooong one last month. I am usually on schedule otherwise.

I was told by my Doctor that most clotting is normal if it is under the size of a quarter. I have PMS with my periods, but I learned to control it by recognizing my symptoms and doing as much as I can to not let it interfere with MY everyday life, just everybody elses, ha ha.

From what you said, women can go till they are in their 60's. I am not sure , but would think that possible too as we are all different. Many early Boomers will be turning 59 this year.

Maybe some of them can let us know what age they were. Survey says....

Great Topic, one of my favorite subjects. [Roll Eyes]

chick

#20177 - 06/29/05 12:27 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
wordcharmer Offline

I'm not much help. I will be 56 in September and I stopped my periods abruptly when I was 38! The doctor thinks maybe it was because of Prozac that I was on at the time. What ever it was, I was glad to be rid of it! Lol! I did how ever suffer from hot flashes for many years after that. Now, just once in a while, I get them.

Here's a good site with lots of info on menopause:
http://www.healthywomen.org/content.cfm?L1=3&L2=52

Here's what I found:

Some women go through menopause before age 51 and some experience it a bit later. Early menopause is defined as occurring at any age younger than age 40. Early menopause can occur naturally, but premature menopausal symptoms may signal an underlying condition, so it is important to discuss any symptoms with your health care professional. Menopause can occur as early as your 30s and, rarely, as late as in your 60s. However, there is no correlation between the time of a woman's first period and her age at menopause. In addition, age at menopause is not influenced by race, height, the number of children a woman has had or whether she took oral contraceptives for birth control.

[ June 28, 2005, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: wordcharmer ]

#20178 - 06/29/05 05:04 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

Great information wordcharmer, thanks for taking the time to hunt it up. Did you read anything about Mother and daughter relationship to Menopause? I am wondering if we inherit any likenesses in this regard. Maybe from our grandmothers, and it skips a generation.

I'd prefer to be like my MOM, in one sense,who said she "I didn't know what it was to be menopausal." Probably because you had a change of life baby, MOM, (perish the thought for me) to add to the 6 you already had in steps, a year or two apart.

Was she too busy to notice? Maybe being busy helps?

Sandpiper, I am glad about the news of your twin sister. I liked your Dad's comment about "when they come in twos.

chick

#20179 - 06/29/05 06:07 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

sandpiper, my sister is doing well. Thanks for asking. She was very fortunate. They caught it in the earliest stage. Actually, the rdiologist who read her mammogram didn't catch it. By the grace of God she has all test results sent to her GP. He's the one whose keen eye caught it.

Chick, I think living a full life helps all ailments. Unfortunately, some ailments keep us from living a full life. I'm a firm believer in keeping the mind busy. However, I also believe we need to intentionally take time to dig within our souls each day. Being busy is good, but so is seeking peace to figure out what to keep busy with. Make sense?

#20180 - 06/29/05 06:09 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
wordcharmer Offline

Yes Chickadee:

What does influence the time of menopause? Genetics are a key factor. The age at which your mother stopped her periods may be similar to when you stop your menstrual periods. And, women who smoke cigarettes experience menopause two years earlier, on average, than nonsmoking women.

My grandmother had a baby when she was 50. My mom was pregnant with me at the same time! I can't imagine that! Once I reached 40, I was looking forward to my empty nest! Not adding to it! Lol!

#20181 - 06/30/05 04:29 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

Dotsie, I am glad to hear that your sister is doing great. I am still waiting for my mammogram appointment. I wonder why the radiologist didn't detect it, having read so many? Your sister was lucky her GP had a keen eye.

Your comments about being busy makes good sense. Digging within our souls helps create the balance we need to live the full life we so desire.

Wordcharmer, empty nest syndrome vs babies at 40 or 50? We need that time for grand babies, not more kids, don't we?

Anyone here have children later in life or a change of life baby as Mom's generation called it?

chick

#20182 - 07/01/05 07:40 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Joanna Brandt Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Greetings!

I just met Dotsie last night and had to get onto this site. Thanks so much for making this forum possible. Keep up the great work!

I am 55 (look and feel 35), a holistic health educator and certified yoga teacher. I started having sleep problems at 50. Before that I slept like a baby. Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC)--traditional herbs-- solved the sleep problem.

I have night sweats when I eat chocolate or spicy foods. The only other time is just before my period, when estrogen is at it's lowest. I'm working to balance that naturally and will keep you posted on my success.

I teach women that we have choices and what these choices are. It is not just a choice between an uncomfortable menopause transition or taking drugs.

Thank goodness we are all laughing about it, though.

You have questions--we have answers.

First for Dotsie,

When do the symptoms end? The menopause transition comes in three stages, perimenopaue, menopausal climax and post-menopause. Symptoms begin during perimenopause, a time much like puberty, where the hormonal balance is changing. Menopausal climax includes the actual date of menopause--one year after the last period. It also includes a year or two on either side of menopause. During the menopausal climax the symptoms are the most severe. Post-menopause is the rest of your life, when the changes are established and healthy women experience new ZEST!

Will the symptoms go away? That depends on many things. But the most important factors are healthy diet, regular exercise, stress reduction and positive attitude. Study after study shows these four factors to be much more powerful than HRT in promoting a smooth transition and a healthy life.

As this is my first post, I am may be repeating the closing, and it is worth repeating.
Remember: "It's not a hot flash, it's a power surge!"

Regards,
Joanna

#20183 - 07/01/05 07:55 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Joanna, I'm interested in the chinese medicines you mentioned. Where do you buy them?

#20184 - 07/01/05 07:56 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

Joanna, I can't get into your website...

Welcome to BWS. You are in for a great experience here. You'll see. You met Dotsie? In person?

I am going to ask a question,so here goes.

My best friend cannot sleep. She gets very little and it interferes with functioning the next day, This has been going on for a few years. She is 51 and peri-menopausal.(we think) She has tried everything under the sun as is always opened to suggestions of what to do next. TMC?

What do you recommend and what has research said about it?

chick

#20185 - 07/12/05 07:29 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Joanna Brandt Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Dear Chick,

Thanks for your question. I would love to be able to give advise but there are so many reasons for sleeplessness. Since she has already "Tried everything" I don't want to waste her time giving unhelpful suggestions. Like a doctor, I would need the whole story before I could make a diagnosis.

Sorry about the website glitch. I put the name in wrong, but it is now correct: www.yogahealth.us.

One book I recommend for anyone wanting to take control of her menopausal symptoms is Dr. Christiane's Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause."

Now let me answer the other question that keeps coming up-- What is TMC. You are probalby familiar with one aspect of Traditional Chinese Medicine-- accupuncture. Another aspect is a long tradition of herbal remedies. Dr. Northrup uses "Quality of Life Herbs" which you can find on the Internet. See also page 550-551 of her book.

Keep me posted.

#20186 - 07/11/05 11:34 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Joanna, great seeing you here. Thanks for answering my question. It's something I've never been certain of in the past.

I take Yasmin, a low dose of the pill for peri-menopausal symptoms. It's working very well. It's interesting because the week I take the blanks I've awakened with night sweats. I can't believe what a difference the medicine makes.

Are you against taking the pill during perimenopause? If so, why? What would you recommend?

#20187 - 08/03/05 04:54 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MinniePauz Offline

Loc: Michigan
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
Hey Dots,
The play has already been done.

It was a musical comedy. I wrote, directed, and performed "Hormones, Hormones, Hormones" with a couple of grilfriends in 1998. We did it for an international medical conference.
The song lyrics were published in their international newsletter (is that a hoot or not?) and NBC came out here and filmed the whole thing.
I got to go to California to sign the papers, etc. for it to go on TV (met with a bunch of rich looking people - and Jay Leno?) But at the last moment it was scrapped.... Bummer. But it was a lot of fun.

smile

Wow, Smile! I'd love to hear more about this! Maybe we could revive your work. I could post it on my site and there's no telling what would happen since the site has already been shown on CNN and other media. [Smile]

#20188 - 08/03/05 05:35 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MinniePauz Offline

quote:
Originally posted by Sandpiper:
I haven't had surgery or anything. About 10 years ago I found out I had fibroids but have learned to live with them. A couple of years ago when I had a Pap the Dr. said they had gotten so small she could barely detect them.
I am now 55 and still having that dang period. Sometimes it is normal, other times it flows everywhere and then again there is the clotting. All of this I could live without.
My mother had a partial hysterectemy so don't know how early she would have stopped. My twin just had a complete hysterectemy because of endometrial cancer. My older sister just stopped after she had breast cancer surgery. So I have no idea just how long I'll continue.
Does anyone have any ideas on how long we can go? I read some women can go till they are in their 60's. Please God enough.

It does seem like we're on a forever hormone adventure, doesn't it? One problem in answering your question is that no two women are exactly alike....even twins. [Smile]

Since we don't know what we're going to experience exactly, the best way to deal with it is to educate ourselves on the possibilities. It takes awhile to gather ALL the information available, but by talking on boards like this, women are helping each other to know what to expect and that takes some of the fear and confusion out of the process.

1. Realize this is a natural process and you're NOT going crazy or turning into a hypochondriac!

2. Some women start "changing" in their late 30's and some don't start until late 50's. The average age for menopause (which is after having no period (or spotting) for 12 months) is 51. My periods stopped cold when I was 42...I'm 57 now and still "heat up" sometimes. Actually, I just stay perpetually warm, so don't tolerate heat at all!

3. Attitude DOES have a lot to do with it, but the physical problems are real too and you have a right to seek a solution that works for you. Some doctors are still telling us to "get over it". You need to find a new doctor if yours is not working with you to improve how you're feeling.

4. I created Minnie Pauz(R) to help women realize they're not alone and that there IS a lighter side to all this. We need to accept that we are getting older and that doesn't have to mean we're dead! Far from it....it can be a wonderful time of confidence and freedom if we take advantage of all the info and support that's available. Most of all, let's have fun!!

#20189 - 08/03/05 05:41 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MinniePauz Offline

quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
Thanks Prez. I'll check that out. The performance will be in Michigan. Not sure of the exact location or date yet and I know from experience that lots can change before anything actually hits the stage, but it's been fun revising the script and songs. The Menopause website will help I'm sure. Thanks again.
smile

Hey Smile!! I live in Michigan too [Smile] I was actually the first to help promote MTM...before she (Jeanie Linders) even had a cast or a website.

#20190 - 08/04/05 02:31 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dee, I just finished reading a great book that might interest you and your following. For My Next Act...Women Scripting Life After Fifty, by Karen Baar. I'm only 47, but I loved it. So much of what she shared about women at midlife is exactly what we converse about in these forums all the time. You might want to check it out at Amazon. I believe it ties in with your site too.

What a great idea to work with Smile on her musical comedy. I think the two of you should revive it. Come on smile. Another opportunity awaits you!

#20191 - 08/28/05 04:17 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
overthehillchick Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I just laughed my head off. I had forgotten how funny JJ was!!! Anyway, I've not had a period for two years. Hot flashes coming out of my a**. Well, figuritively speaking of course. Weight gain? You bet! Plus side...I've got a set of knockers that won't quit. Ooolala...never had'em before. Why haven't you big-breasted women told me how nice they were to have? I actually bounce now! Anyway, there is a remedy...are you ready?

There is a genre called Hen Lit. Have you ever heard about it? This stuff is funny, girls, write about it!

Dorothy

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved