The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#20036 - 06/03/04 07:59 AM after menopause
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Will those who are already on the other side of menopause share what we (the ones going through it) have to look forward to?

#20037 - 06/03/04 12:32 AM Re: after menopause
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My period began every month like clockwork for what seemed like a thousand years. Started at age 11 and ended with little fuss on May 8th. 1990. Never came, ever again. I was 50 then. I breezed through Menopause unscaled, no hot flashes, no mood swings, nothing. I am 64 now and feel I am well over the change. I am happy to say the only irritating part is growing those silly chin hairs. Also ladies you never have to worry about getting pregnant, its called by some Freedom Riding...Your weight can be a little easier to gain and harder to lose but good news is you can compensate for that. I have found the entire process enlightning and liberating. You can to because alot of it is in our heads. Be happy and embrace these changes the Lord has sent to us. I never took hormones ( my personal chaice) as everything I read and my mothers advice was they aren't natural and menopause is a natural experience.
I hope you can all think of yourselves as fortunate to have come this far and continue to enjoy the journey in peace and amazement... [Big Grin]

#20038 - 06/03/04 05:42 AM Re: after menopause
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I had a very different experinece then Chatty. I do envy her, as my Dr said I went through 3 years of menopause hell. I took hormones but was very depressed and had severe emotional problems, mood swings, weight gain, High blood pressure, and heart arrythmia problems. Due to all those things happening, I was fired from my job, went through a winter of depression, another job from Hell, and another firing. Another blow to my ego.

Now, through it all, I am stronger, recognize that I may always take medicine for a chemical imbalance in my body, and that I have finally come through it. After two cancer scares and finally on the other side, I can say I am glad that it is over. Feeling much better now, no one that I talk to on the phone in my Customer Service work ever guess that I am nearing 55 with (as of tomorrow) 10 grandchildren and another one due in July.

I feel the best then I have in years, and am looking forward to a new life, full of new things, hightlights, a second career as a writer and thankful that I am here as suicide was a constant thought in my head. I have a Dr. that worked with me for over a year and a half to get my medications to the point that I feel I am a happy, productive human being that is glad to be alive. I didn't have anyone to talk to about this menopause business, as my Mother was gone, and every woman in my family has had a hysterectomy and never gone through the pangs of menopause. I feel good now, and except that it is very hard to lose any weight, I never felt better! Take hope there is life after menopause.

Love to you all,

Sherri

PS, It is so much fun being a grandmother, that I wished I had grandchildren first!! LOL

#20039 - 06/04/04 07:36 AM Re: after menopause
Seth Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
I started to have major flooding and flashes, so went in and had several surgeries. Finally last summer I had the big "H". What a great thing it is to have all of that behind me! I do still need the hormones to be comfortable, but on my own I decided to cut back to every other day, and that pretty much works. I also had read that you have so much more energy when you're finally "there". I kept waiting for the energy, but take heart! It does come! I do feel great, strong, energetic and ready for most anything! The problem is the road getting here is long and rough, but hang in there, it's worth it! [Wink]

#20040 - 06/04/04 08:26 PM Re: after menopause
Dotsie Offline
Founder

How long after the big h did the energy come?

#20041 - 06/05/04 01:36 AM Re: after menopause
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
The mood swings are interesting, hot flashes like a power surge then freezing at times. The doctors didn't prescribe any medicine so I've just gone with the flow. At least when my face turns red its not blushing anymore.
Love not having to worry about the periods and cramps.
Maggie

#20042 - 06/07/04 05:30 AM Re: after menopause
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm still looking for fresh meat. Nothing is scared and I'm thinking of eating my young. Any questions? [Mad]

#20043 - 06/07/04 05:20 PM Re: after menopause
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Dotsie,

Is the pill working for you? Did you start it because of heavy bleeding?

My past two periods, have been ghastly. At work, I bled through clothes two days in a row. And I am near a bathroom!!!

Last period, I was flying and religiously went to the bathroom every hour to change and Foosh! Sitting in my seat, I flooded through my pants (fortunatley black) and stained the airplane seat.

Dreading this go round.

Lynn

#20044 - 06/08/04 07:46 AM Re: after menopause
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Lynn, I've heard similar horror stories.

I went on because they were lasting forever! I alos felt on edge and had bad cramps. I finally decided it was half the month that I was worrying or wrapped up with the problem. That's half my life and I decided the heck with this.

My sister who has been on the pill has had none of this. I spoke with my gyn and went for it and I am so GLAD I did. I don't like taking any medication, but my quality of life is so much better. I don't have to think about when it's coming or how long it's stickin' around, no longer have the tense feelings or anxious moments. I'm loving it! [Big Grin] I hope this helps!

#20045 - 06/11/04 05:34 AM Re: after menopause
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Last weekend Dave and I met friends in Jonesborough, TN. They live in SC, we live in VA and TN is halfway for both of us so, every so often, we meet for lunch. My girlfriend asked me about menopause and I told her things were going all right. I can't take the heat but don't know if that's due to sun stroke 2 years ago (twice in one summer) or menopause. She can't take the heat either and she's never had sun stroke. She told me that women who actually go through menopause are 7% of the entire female population of "that age" in the USA. I know when I started asking women friends about symptons, etc. most of them will never have symptons because they have had "the operation".

I did go to an ob/gyn who wanted to quoteandIkidyounot "yank the plumbing because at your age it's not like you're going to have children". If he hadn't had his hand in me, I'd have kicked him in the whereever I could have reached from that position.

I told him I'd really rather not chance the statistics on HRT and breast cancer so would keep my plumbing, thankyouverymuch. He then said, "when the hot flashes get bad enough, you'll crawl back to me and beg for drugs". I thought if the hot flashes get *that* bad I'll crawl back to you and shoot your sorry arse and then hope for an all female jury.

All that to say, it's not been terrible and I've rather enjoyed this phase of my life. The urge to kill abates as time goes on and, I'm hopeful, will go away entirely. Or else, maybe the people will...either will be okay. gggg!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved