The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#200547 - 03/06/10 03:58 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Baby Boomer Girl]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I used to be like you babyboomergirl, not having breakfast much at all in my 20's and early 30's.

And my breakfasts right now, remain modestly small as I outlined earlier on type of food in this thread. So imagine, I used to eat even less.

It changed when I returned to cycling in my early 30's because I needed something in my stomach to do a bike ride early morning to get to work.. which was 13-16 kms. one way for 14 yrs., depending where I was working. usually the bike ride then and now, where we live in a different city, includes at least 1 hill 6-10% grade to chug up or more hills, depending what I feel like doing/how time I have.

It was also highly critical for long vacation bike rides when we travelled by bike for 5-6 hrs., each day that I eat a substantive breakfast. I have been in 2 different situations where I didn't eat much breakfast and I nearly fainted after cycling for 30-40 kms. in hot humid summer morning at 28-30 degrees C. Experiences like that are scary.

So I have this feeling if you engaged in high cardiovascular exercise early morning for at least 1 hr., that the body would require a breakfast earlier. With running and cycling if one doesn't eat,..a person is geographically stranded outdoors.

If I don't bike, but just walk to catch subway/bus, then a cup of tea, maybe with a fruit would suffice for breakfast.

I know my stomach becomes acclimatized to certain eating patterns and timing. It didn't used to be like that. But then, when I was much younger I didn't have to worry about weight, fitness since I had a high metabolic rate. I am petite and at an excellent fit weight (at age 51) but it does take more conscious regular effort on my part now.

#200551 - 03/06/10 10:39 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ann Marie, that sounds delish. I think I need to buy some instant oatmeal. I have a ton of pecans that I could use, and I always have bananas. Thanks.

BBG, I'm known as never skip a meal Bregel. I so wish I could skip a meal, but I get weak. Do you ever feel that way, like you have low blood sugar? If not, your lucky. So do you eat lunch at 11:00?

orchid, sounds like you know your body well. That's great.

#200552 - 03/06/10 10:41 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
BBG, AA few of our boomer friends here have seen the movie. They're talking about it in another fourm. Perhaps you should post the link to your blog in that forum so they can see it.

#200562 - 03/07/10 01:16 AM HAM SALAD [Re: Baby Boomer Girl]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Looking for something easy to make and soooo good. Try this recipe. My son just stopped in to get his share of the loot. I always make a lot so he can have a large bowl full to take home and it stays in the fridge for quite awhile for snacks. Makes a great sandwich for any occasion.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200597 - 03/07/10 03:45 PM Re: Breakfast foods [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

I wished to respond with a bit more detail for babyboomergirl:

In thinking about this, I realized that perhaps you and I might be similar (but not totally): we eat smaller breakfasts.

If I wanted a bigger breakfast on a regular basis, I had better start cutting back on size of supper!

#200618 - 03/07/10 10:18 PM Re: Breakfast foods [Re: orchid]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Chatty, your Ham Salad was a huge hit in my house today...I served it for brunch on keiser rolls with a spinach and strawberry salad...my husband just finished his midafternoon snack of...you guessed it....Ham salad on rye bread!! Thanks again for the recipe!

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#200620 - 03/07/10 11:07 PM Re: Breakfast foods [Re: AvalonBlondi]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My pleasure Blondie, it is good to know someone reads these
recipes and actually makes them...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201209 - 03/21/10 04:37 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Dotsie]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Dotsie,

I'm with you, I am bored with breakfast. But I have been eating a concoction I've mixed up that starts with a non-fat organic (Stonyfield) yogurt - plain or vanilla flavored. I season that with cinnamon and nutmeg, add fresh or thawed frozen blueberries, a sprinkle of chopped pecans - and top with some organic (Cascadian Farm) granola.

Brands I use are not crucial, but I avoid the yogurt that so heavily advertised as being good for your digestion, as it is full of additives and high fructose garbage.

I'm really trying to avoid eating anything containing high fructose corn syrup, which is in SOOO many food products these days.

But if you want to try something really different for breakfast, Steve is into eating those frozen burritoes that come in a bag - beef and bean variety does give you some good protein for a relatively low price -- and it's quick to fix..
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#201216 - 03/21/10 02:32 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I know it is strange, but I like lentils in the morning. I buy Amy's lentil soups, lentil dishes or any other healthier brand - canned or frozen. I enjoy the protein and love the bit of spice.

But first, I have a cup of coffee with a bit of dark cocoa and cinnamon.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#201221 - 03/21/10 04:38 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Anno]
orchid Offline

For certain Anno I would have to eat beans around lunch, my system requires effort to digest beans but I enjoy bean dishes at restaurants. I rarely cook beans because of this minor problem for me.

Sounds just as a different...as tradtional ASian breakfast, which is rice congee..or a rice porridge cooked in a light soup broth with light green veggies or some chopped cooking meat on top. As you know, it's offered in major Chinatowns in big cities in North America. Certainly enough fans in Vancouver and Toronto. It's been rare I've had this type of breakfast.

My mother found the bread-tea or oatmeal thing easier for her in terms of feeding us. smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved