The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197902 - 01/15/10 03:22 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh yes, it felt right, but I wasn't thinking of me and what it did for me. I was thinking of her.

Actually, sometimes when I set out to do something for someone else, it feels like a chore, but once it's done, and the reaching out is finished, I am changed for the better.

#197914 - 01/15/10 05:39 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Some things are better left unsaid. I like doing good things and look for nothing in return & without any expectation of receiving any thanks. Although it is nice and I do like being thanked for doing kind things for others, I have been disappointed when my efforts are not recognized. Thus, should I do something (whatever that may be) without expecations and in secrecacy (which makes it all the more fun!) I feel better for my efforts.

#197938 - 01/16/10 12:18 AM Re: For the good of others [Re: Dotsie]
LTWayfaringWords Offline

Loc: Missouri, recently moved from ...
Hi, friends. You might be interested in "She Did What She Could," by Elisa Morgan. I highly recommend it.

#198245 - 01/21/10 06:15 AM Re: For the good of others [Re: LTWayfaringWords]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
JawJaw, it often feels right because it IS right. If it feels wrong, then our instincts are telling us not to go there. I don't think this is about "It feels right for ME;" it's about, "It's right. Period." We know inside our hearts, if only we would listen. "Right" is not always the easy path.

We are vessels, messengers, conduits. We have free will, and choose the message/action we wish to live.

Poet and essayist

#198259 - 01/21/10 02:10 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
That was my point all along...it feels right/good. That's why we love doing things for others. IT FEELS GOOD to do it. Feeling good and feeling "right," are synonymous to me. No?

#198771 - 01/30/10 03:18 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Well I visit the nursing home a couple times a week and buy clothes and kleenex and Ensure and pudding for a friend.
While I'm there I visit many of residents because they like to
have company, too. I feel like I'm doing something to help
others. That's my ministry right now. God bless the abused and
wrap His arms around them!

#198792 - 01/30/10 09:57 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: jabber]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
You may or may not know that chemo-therapy is not necessarily private. When you have chemo, you're in a room with a lot of others having chemo. It's the same for kidney dialysis. When I was going through chemo, I'd walk into the room, and everyone looked so miserable, the ones getting the treatment, and the ones who accompanied them (if the patient had anybody). What I did was to look at each and every patient and their support and make eye contact and smile at them. This was a for them. How did it feel? I don't know. It was just for them. It seemed to have nothing to do with me because I was in the mood to be miserable. I think to make a conscious choice to smile was not self-serving. My natural inclination is to look down and away. Anyway, I choose that experience to divulge here for some reason. I think it is great when one person goes to a place like a nursing home, and makes an effort to visit with someone other than the relative or friend.

#198793 - 01/30/10 10:02 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: Princess Lenora]
jabber Offline

PL,
I think what you did is wonderful. My friend is so destroyed
she cries much of the time. That brings those around her down;
so I try to lift them up. I heard another resident say today,
"I don't want to be in a nursing home." That lady isn't very
old, either. I smile and cheer them up as much as possible.
My heart is breaking for my friend, but like you say, a smile
is something you can give no matter what. I have another friend going through chemo right now; and I have a brother in the same situation. Needless to say, I do a lot of praying!

#198894 - 02/01/10 09:16 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

PL,
I've been thinking about U and how you've overcome a great deal.
Prayers and blessings,

#199630 - 02/14/10 08:40 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: ]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
that " to do without expectasions" a crucial thing to learn for me in my life, then it didn't matter if it was recognised or thanked or if anyone knew or not.

like giving to charities, i do if i see them on the street (contradicting the prupise heer) but i also have a wee direct debit or standing order, (once a mounth the take a sum of cash out my bank) not sure what you cakll it. Its done and i never rember becouse i decided to do it without needing to feel good about it.

opps iv vered of my point mustang girl lol

but the learning about expectasions and not to have to high or any expectasion changed a bit of my life for the better, the ssame stuff did din't get done its just how I feel about it that makes the diffrences. no one knew of ever needed too but i felt ok wiht it smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved