The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197648 - 01/13/10 07:02 PM For the good of others
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This seems to be a mantra that is sinking deep within me, though I don't know that I do enough to live up to this.

I thought it might be fun for us to begin sharing what we do for the good of others so we can learn from one another soem of the neat ways to go about this.

Anyone want to join me?

I'll begin, and I will share that this is not a way to brag about what we do. It's simply a way to make us think about what we're doing, and perhaps cause us to do more for others. It's also a way for us to see what others are doing for others.

While visiting my FIL today, I chatted with another visitor who said she was going through a lot of changes. She looked sad. I got a feeling something very sad is going on in her life that is above and beyond the person she visits who has ALzheimer's. When finished talking, I told her I'd keep her in my prayers, and she really lit up and thanked me.

Not a big deal, but it felt right.

Last night I made dinner for my committee meeting. I really like doing this because several of them are young and appreciate a good meal. The others cook all the time and appreciate a break. And two others have wives who cook for them all the time, but love to eat. They are so gracious, but they have to remember that I used to cook big meals all the time when the kids were young and had friends coming and going. Now I don't do it quite so much, and it's something I enjoy.

How about anyone else?

Edited by Dotsie (01/13/10 07:04 PM)

#197661 - 01/13/10 10:53 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: Dotsie]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I smile and greet everyone I see wherever I go, and express an interest in them as people. I listen to what people have to say, really listen, not just nod and make appropriate noises. And I never give advice unless I'm asked (I often have to bite my tongue on this one, but I'm getting better!)
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#197808 - 01/14/10 01:49 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: yonuh]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Bringing this back...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#197809 - 01/14/10 01:50 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

yonuh, thanks for sharing. I especially like the piece about giving advice. I need to listen to that. Also, listening is a dying art since everyone's so busy.

#197816 - 01/14/10 03:06 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Here's the thing. We do these things because it makes US feel good...and the results is that we make others feel good as well. How can this be wrong even though we are performing these acts of kindness to get the "warm fuzzy." Now I'm not saying this is our motivation (in our minds) but isn't it?

I try to forgive. It is not always easy and especially when there are those around me who push the right buttons. Then...I realize something. They are my buttons, not theirs...so they can push all day and it is my reaction to the pushing that gets the REaction.

So first I have to forgive ME.

Listening, forgiving, and living. These are all great gifts to give ourselves as well as others.

Just my op

#197817 - 01/14/10 03:10 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Hmmm, not sure that's why I do things for the good of others. Like when I told my friend I'd pray for her. I didn't do it because it makes me feel good. I did it because I felt like she needed it, and I could easily pray for her.

#197819 - 01/14/10 03:19 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

But you said "it felt right." Isn't that a good feeling to have?

#197867 - 01/14/10 11:02 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In my own case, I do what I do because it may help someone else but my own feeling don't really come into it. I will say it feels good to help someone who might otherwise be ignored. Does that make any sense?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#197882 - 01/15/10 02:06 AM Re: For the good of others [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

It feels good? Would you do it if it felt bad? Or wrong?

#197901 - 01/15/10 03:20 PM Re: For the good of others [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

My niece had a baby last weekend. Hooray. Instead of sending them flowers from the florist, I'm getting pink tulips from Trader Joe's and a bunch of fresh, fun foods, and will feel like I'm getting more for my money.

Took dinner to Dad last night.

Boy, I really am about the food, aren't I? No wonder I can't lose weight. I guess I like to feed people, and myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved