The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#199230 - 02/06/10 06:25 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Kate, it may be disheartening not to get a job you put so much into, but it sounds like you're staying positive! You go, girl!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#199271 - 02/08/10 12:57 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kate, who would have ever thought that being in the same job for that many years would work against you? That's amazing.

I love your attitude. What a great expereince to go through all that interviewing and testing. So far, everything is a step in the right direction. Stay positive.

#202621 - 04/23/10 07:27 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I just read through my posts and it appears that I continue to go back and forth and end up back where I started. I am 53 and life is changing big time.

Everything is changing and I am stuck. My kids are growing up, moving towards adulthood and looking forward to new experiences.

I am growing more andmore stagnant, in the same job, working from home and so bored it's painful.

Been at the same job for 12 years now, at home for 2 years. I have tried to get other jobs but can't seem to find anything. Just got another part time job doing the same as my stay at home job, selling magazine advertising. This career gets harder all the time due to the economy but the worst part is I am really lonely and bored. I don't know if I need to change jobs or change my attitude.

I want to change but can't seem too.
Basically all I do is work from home in between doing laundry and cleaning up the house. I only go out to grocery shop and walk the dog.

My mother age 83 has a much more exciting life than me. She is out all the time but there is so much out there for seniors.

I led an active life when I was younger but now I can't seem to get out of this situation I find myself in.

Is it the job, is it that I work from home, is it me?
I am sooooo stuck.
Kate

#202629 - 04/23/10 01:21 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Kate, sounds like you lack human interaction. Perhaps if you kept one of the part-time selling from home jobs and could find a part-time job in an office environment where peers might help in keeping the competitive spirit alive and enhance productivity.

No, its not you. I think it would be normal how you feel considering working from home. Virtual offices have pros/cons as well as an office environment.

Wishing I could work from home - yet, I'd find myself slipping into slackedness!

#202630 - 04/23/10 01:32 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Kate, I doubt if it is YOU, as you usually have such a great attitude. But...

You don't sound like you are happy with what you are doing and the hand that you have dealt yourself, lately.

Why don't you get out more often? You don't need a job to walk by yourself, go to a movie, get a cup of coffee or go somewhere you can talk to other adults? Just curious, not making judgments, here.

It's a tough time to look for jobs, especially in sales, right now. What, besides kids, do you like? Where are your passions? What makes you smile?

Have you ever taken a career test? One of those where they look for types of jobs that suit you best.

Are there groups for women with careers near you? We have several near us - "Business Women Connect", for example. Have you tried to research any groups you might join for some inspiration and to meet new women.

I hope you find a way to get out and about today!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#202637 - 04/23/10 03:54 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Anno]
katebcca Offline

Thank you MustangGal, I do lack human interaction big time.
And Anno, Yes, thank you, thank you. This is the advice I would give others. But, in a slump and prone to depression I tend to isolate myself.

Lately it's been getting worse. I do get out to the gym at least and last week went to a movie by myself. That's my problem, I do everything by myself.

I think my kids growing up is a huge issue. Being a single mom of three for the past 14 years they have kept me busy. Rides back and forth to soccer games, outings etc. Lots of opportunities to chat with other parents while doing this. I love to get out and when activities were on, fairs, events etc. I would take my kids. They were my company. Now that they are almost grown up 17 & 18 (the two at home) they are busy with their friends, school part-time work, totally natural.

What has happened is I have not nurtured friendships over these busy years so find myself totally alone. I did have a friend that I cut ties with last year as she was very toxic. She wasn't like that for the first few years of our friendship but grew that way. She always invited me to dinners and outings as she had a lot going on due to her business. But she also called me too much and leaned on me way too much, plus would always get mad at me if I wasn't there for her every second. I became very hard to take.

Last night I looked online and did find a meet up group. Many of the members work from home. I guess I must be getting desperate :-)
Lots of interesting people and they meet for brunch on Sundays, go for walks, hikes, and are planning a camping trip in May. I recognized a few people (there is a photo gallery) but most not.
I'm in a phase where I do not feel like reaching out but will do it anyway. This Sunday is a meet up at a local brunch place. Guess I feel like a loser if I reach out. (silly thinking) I am so independent and find it hard to take that I have to do this. Before I had kids I was so popular and had so many friends. But have to realize it is what it is and if I don't do anything it will just get worse. I am good at isolating myself and know it is not healthy.

As for the part-time job I was looking for something outside the house and applied but these jobs wanted more hours than I can give. Now I wish I did not take the second job as it is the same kind of work. Making sales calls from home and getting lots and lots of rejection. Not easy.

I'm sure if I get out there and meet people things will seem better. I don't regret spending all my time with my kids. They were not at home stuck in front of a TV. We were always going out somewhere exploring. Now I just have to find away to explore, develop a passion on my own.
Kate

#202659 - 04/24/10 02:16 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
katebcca Offline

Had a great day today ladies. I am in sales so got out of my comfort zone and called on businesses in person rather than making phone calls today. This helped tremendously.

Also am considering starting a weekly coffee group for people who work from home. Kind of a network thing to help each other stay positive and productive. Working from home may sound great but it has many challenges eg. My doing laundry and dishes instead of making sales calls.

This will help with my isolated feelings and get me back into the swing of things. So, I may start a blog first and then get a group started.

Also joined a meet up group in my city so I can get out and meet new people once a week.

Wow, you guys are GREAT!
Kate

#202666 - 04/24/10 11:29 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great idea to start a weekly coffee group. I worked from home from 2002-2010 and it can be isolating so you have to make an effort to connect with others face to face.

Sometimes it's desperation that makes us change. Look at it as a positive. Sounds like you're reaching out in several ways. It's never too late to make new freinds of all ages. Keep up the good work.

#202670 - 04/24/10 02:29 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Way to go, Kate!

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#202686 - 04/24/10 10:30 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All such good ideas for interacting with other people. Working from home is great but it is lonesome alot of the time. We all need contact and interaction with other people. I have decided to take my own advice about that and do more things out of my home; but I am still editing so don't be shy about sending me your manuscripts.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved