The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#195113 - 12/04/09 05:26 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I have applied at the mall, department stores etc. but so far, no luck.

I do have a job interview early next week with a really high end magazine and they pay a salary plus commission so I may get that job. Sounds promising anyway as I have quite a bit of experience.

I will keep you posted.

For now, it's important to find anything. I had to pay for my son to stay at a treatment centre this week. Put it on the visa as he is trying hard. I will have to cut the visa up as I am using it way too much for necessities. Will have to consolidate very shortly.

#195114 - 12/04/09 10:17 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Keep on trucking Kate.

If you get the job at the magazine, will you leave your current job?

#195115 - 12/04/09 10:18 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, and please cut up the card if you possibly can. Or maybe you could leave it at home and only use it for emergencies?

#195127 - 12/04/09 02:46 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Kate, I'm praying for the right position for you!

#195917 - 12/15/09 05:52 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: ]
katebcca Offline

Just stopping by to say that I did manage to get a job. It is in magazine advertising again but a very good opportunity.
Now I have to decide what to do about the other jobs.

I would like to work with kids and still have that as a goal but for the immediate future I think this job fell in my lap for a reason. It was advertised and I was chosen out of a long list of people.

What to do about the insurance job is the problem. This new magazine pays a base salary, and I can keep doing the other magazine for now to see how it goes.

The insurance job is just impossible for me at the moment. After taking the course and paying for insurance, you have to have insurance in case you get sued, I find myself not wanting to move forward. Not now anyway.

My boss is getting aggressive with me and wants me to get going in her words.

Lots to think about, but I'm excited about the new opportunity. I don't feel the same about the insurance.
Kate

#195918 - 12/15/09 05:59 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
katebcca Offline

Thanks Anne and your idea was a good one. Last year I took care of a 102 year old. She was a riot. I worked for a nursing company part time as I have some experience. This lady comes out to my province to escape the snow and has done so for 20 years. She wanted to come out again this year but is too weak now. She is an amazing lady and I was lucky to get her. She stayed in a hotel and I stopped by every day for one to two hours. Took her out for walks, shopping etc.

This year there are not many shifts and there is no warning so its not easy to plan the week. When you get a client like the one I had last year it's steady. My problem is I get too attached to them and them to me. Not a great scenario as they move you around. She insisted on having me her entire visit, 4 months so it worked our great and the money was steady. It was a blessing to have met her and we had a wonderful connection.

Kate

#196055 - 12/17/09 12:40 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: ]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Best of luck with your 2nd new job, kate.

Too bad we missed each other when we were visiting Victoria!

#196148 - 12/18/09 06:09 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'd say bag the insurance and stick with the magazine work, expecially if you get a base salary.

Wow, you work fast. Congrats!

#196384 - 12/22/09 09:19 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Kate, bravo!

#199217 - 02/06/10 07:27 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

Update:
I have now had two bad experiences with magazine jobs. Both companies had me sell ads and didn't pay me. So, I have decided to go a different route once again. I was just trying to increase my income and no retail jobs were out there. I recently had a call from a recruitment agency. I had posted my resume online over six months ago. This agency had a great job opportunity they wanted to offer me. I am sharing this as I have been out of the loop for 12 years being at the same company, times have changed.
I went through the interview stage, first a phone interview, next an online test, then a face to face interview with two people. They had pages and pages of questions for me. While one person asked the other took notes. This went on for an hour. I found out they originally had 10 candidates, then it was down to 5 then two, myself and one other person.
I did not get the job.

One great thing about recruitment agencies is they talk to the employer later and find out why you did not get the job. This is so helpful. I was surprised why I did not get it.

One reason; I have been in my current job for too long, 12 years. That was a negative, who would have thought. They said 6 to 8 years ok, but 12, too long.

Next, I needed to have proof of my sales performance in my current job. The other candidate had performance evaluations at their job. They had quotas to meet and this was all recorded and they brought this info to the interview. My company does not do this, I have quotas but I make them for myself. My company is not a great company at all and doesn't keep on top of this. I had no proof that I increased sales or met quotas even though I did. I didn't want them contacting my current job for this info so I lost out.

I would hate to think part of it is they found out through round about questioning that I am a single parent. This is not a negative as such, but there was some travel involved and maybe they felt that would be a problem for me.

It was a great experience and I am glad to have gone through it even though I was disappointed. The job paid very well with lots of perks, pension, 100% medical, dental etc. so they had to get the right fit. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason and I think this experience, both the other magazine job experiences have led me to believe it's time to get out of sales.

Back to my original plan, try to get on with the school board working with special need children. So, while I am working towards that at least I still have me lousy magazine job that I have been at for 12 years. My pay continues to drop due to revenue in sales dropping but.....at least I can take some needed time to figure out the remaining years of my working life and find something I will truly love, something rewarding where I can give back.
Kate

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved