The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#194875 - 11/30/09 08:10 AM Job = not enough money
katebcca Offline

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
I have a dilemma.

I have been working for the same company for 10 years. I used to make good money but the economy has taken it's toll on many industries, publishing included. I have a medical/dental plan that saves me money so have hung in there for that and hoping things will improve.

Lately things have become worse. I don't make enough to pay all of my expenses and have gone into credit card debt.

My solution was to get another job. I work from home so going out to do something else part of the day would work.

It was suggested by an acqaintence that I should get into the insurance business as I am in sales already and have experience. What I did not think about is that this job is commission based like my magazine job. I really should have found a job that paid a salary. Two commission jobs may not have been the best choice.

I have to make cold calls and build my insurance business on my own. Being so stressed out over finances has caused me to panic as I have kids to support. You have to be up in sales. I can't contact people when I am in a desperate state. At least I can't.

Now I'm wondering if I should just put the insurance job on hold and go get a paying job to supplement my income. It would have to be part-time but it would still be better than making nothing which is what I am making now.

I'm so confused. I went through alot of effort to get licenced. I am lettng my new boss down. But whenever I go into the office she says do you have any sales yet. I am going to put the pressure on you, not what I need. Also they have made a new rule, if you don't sell 1000 per month in sales, you will have to pay a 100 desk fee. I can't afford to pay this as I don't have enough money as it is.

I know I should focus but I keep thinking about the best solution. Should I just get a new full time job (not easy to find)

Should I give up the insurance job and get a part-time salary job for now until I am back on track with some money in my savings account?

I am hoping that some of you will see my situation from the outside as I am too close to it. I just keep going back and forth and am getting nowhere fast. The bills are creeping up again this month so I have to do something quick.

Then there is Christmas, don't even want to go there.
Kate

#194896 - 11/30/09 03:02 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: katebcca
Now I'm wondering if I should just put the insurance job on hold and go get a paying job to supplement my income. It would have to be part-time but it would still be better than making nothing which is what I am making now.

I'm so confused. I went through alot of effort to get licenced. I am lettng my new boss down. But whenever I go into the office she says do you have any sales yet. I am going to put the pressure on you, not what I need. Also they have made a new rule, if you don't sell 1000 per month in sales, you will have to pay a 100 desk fee. I can't afford to pay this as I don't have enough money as it is.

I know I should focus but I keep thinking about the best solution. Should I just get a new full time job (not easy to find)

Should I give up the insurance job and get a part-time salary job for now until I am back on track with some money in my savings account?

I am hoping that some of you will see my situation from the outside as I am too close to it. I just keep going back and forth and am getting nowhere fast.

Do you think you could sell insurance within next 3 months? Pretty hard when people are thinking about Christmas.

This sounds like alot of pressure for that insurance job.

#194900 - 11/30/09 03:56 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

There was a post recently about Dubai and work opportunities.Seems that things there are not as rosy as discussed.
read an article and copied a small piece for sharing.a young man I know has property there and has invested much hope things dont go flat..

from BBC webpage.
Dubai's government said on Monday it was not responsible for the debts of its flagship conglomerate, offering little clarity on a plan to delay billions in debt repayments that has rattled world markets.

#194905 - 11/30/09 04:24 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
We have a freind in a very similar situation. Our advice was to take the salaried job. Selling anything in this economy is a challenge. I'd be curious to know how the other insurance salespeople who've been selling for years are doing.

My advice would be to search for another full-time job that might pay more, while securing a part-time job.

Also, is there a way for you to consolidate your credit card debt to a card that has the lowest interest rate? Or work with a company that manages your bill payments for you? This is what our friends did. The company corresponds with the people you owe, and works out a monthly payment based on what you can afford.

#194912 - 11/30/09 06:01 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: Dotsie]
katebcca Offline

That's a good plan. Just get something with a salary for now would be great. I have checked into consolidating my debt but I heard that you can't be an insurance agent/financial planner if your credit is not in good standing.

What's important now is that I get my stress level down and get some more money in.

I will check into that today and continue applying for jobs.
thanks,
Katherine

#194920 - 11/30/09 08:53 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
katebcca Offline

I have spent so much time soul searching and think I finally have something. I want to change careers. Sales, I have had it with this as I no longer have the energy or the motivation in this field. I have been looking for something more rewarding for a long time now.

What keeps coming up for me is kids. I used to volunteer with kids in the school system and day care and with pregnant teens. I have a home-stay student from Columbia (age 15) that I enjoy. All my kids friends like me a lot and say I'm cool. I have loads of experience with learning disabilities. Having two kids of my own with this.

So, I am going to find out about how to become a teaching assistant especially dealing with kids with disabilities.

I just had a light bulb moment and wanted to share.
Kate

#194932 - 12/01/09 12:17 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sometimes when we are having trouble finding our way the Lord turns on the light and whalla, light buld moment!!! That sounds like not only a remarkable idea but a worthwhile cause, helping kids who need help. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#194934 - 12/01/09 12:19 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: chatty lady]
katebcca Offline

Yes I have prayed for that light bulb moment and it has finally come, or I finally listened, whatever...it's all good!

Kate

#194954 - 12/01/09 11:50 AM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: katebcca]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kate, glad you are having some clarity about what's next. ONe foot in front of the other - one day at a time.

#195103 - 12/03/09 08:55 PM Re: Job = not enough money [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Good idea. A little retail to get you through the holidays.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved