The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#193620 - 11/10/09 12:41 PM A little comfort
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
"When our own hands, feet, eyes, hearts, or minds aren't working at full throttle, God provides others who can help
us walk, see, and think."

Debra Farrington, The Seasons of a Restless Heart

#193661 - 11/10/09 08:24 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
That has pretty much been the story of my life, Dotsie. It's safe to say that I wouldn't be here today if not for the kindness, generosity and mentorship of so many throughout my journey, right from early childhood to present-day. It's amazing and wondrous, how just the right person walks into my life at the exact right moment, if not in person, then through online, a book or music. He really does care enough to send the best!

(Maya Angelou)

#193694 - 11/10/09 10:52 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I heard someone say the other day, "oh, there ain't no such thing as God." I have heard that same stupid comment before and it still makes my stomach hurt. All anyone has to do is look into the night sky or at the flowers in a garden or into a sweet newborn babies face to know there most certainly IS a God...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#193700 - 11/10/09 11:02 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Chat, I have always wanted to ask those folks who say such things as to where they find hope in times of personal crisis. For those of us who have faith, we call on God. For those who do not, who do they rely upon...especially when self has done all self could? Where does one without faith find relief beyond self?

#193703 - 11/10/09 11:10 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Lola]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Lola, this sort of reminds me of a something from the late 1970's. I cannot remember the "why", but one morning I was angry with God and told Him that, and told Him I wasn't going to talk with Him that day (I was young & silly). Went through the whole day, diligently ignoring Him. Then I was walking home and the sky was on fire with the most beautiful, amazing sunset I had ever seen in my life thus far. I had to laugh and tell Him how unfair it was for Him to paint the sky like that, knowing it would be impossible for me not to thank Him for it...and I remember thinking, who do people, who don't believe in God, thank for things like sunsets and cardinals and newborn babies and the miracles of life that surround them?

(Maya Angelou)

#193707 - 11/10/09 11:33 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Eagle Heart]
Lola Offline

Even those who do not believe in God are grateful for the same, Eagle. They just tend to see it as a natural and scientific narrative rather than attributable to God's design.

I'm attending a debate event in Berkshire against reportedly atheists (Richard Dawkins and a Professor of Philosophy) later this month. I'll let you know whether they truly are.

Edited by Lola (11/10/09 11:42 PM)

#193721 - 11/11/09 04:09 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Lola]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lola, I look forward to hearing more.

People, believers included, have a way of justifying their/our own belief/non-belief systems. I find it interesting.

#193735 - 11/11/09 06:45 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Dotsie]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I know for certain there is a God. Or else how could I explain events and circumstances always falling into place? Even the most impossible becomes possible at exactly the right time.

Thanks for this Dotsie!

Lola, may God lead, guide and direct you in this debate...I can't wait to hear about it!

Cheers and Blessings,
Cathi

#193739 - 11/11/09 07:26 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
My father always said patients who believed in God, died peacefully, compared to those that didn't believe. They often died with fear. Probably Anne and LadyJane can add to this observation.

Believing in God gives us peace of mind. And that peace of mind is his gift to us. Those who don't believe, refuse to accept this gift. I guess it's sort of like wanting to help a child, who refuses your help. Then he has to simply learn the hard way.

I would love to listen to the debate, Lola. Please do share with us how it goes.

#193751 - 11/11/09 09:05 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Edelweiss3]
Lola Offline

I will be attending the debate as an Apologist, not a party to the debate. The Bishop of Oxford and a prominent journalist will be against Dawkins and the Professor, although the attendees would have a chance to field questions. And, I intend to raise a few. Incidentally, the topic for the debate goes in the way of: "Atheism is the New Fundamentalism". The topic is quite apt as the European Court recently ruled that crucifixes/crosses in Italian classrooms would be a delict on the children of the secularist parent. How very bizarre but, it's under appeal by Italy. Secularism is the new atheism in Europe and is quite the protagonist against faith communities.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved