The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#19306 - 12/15/05 08:52 AM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
LSmith5434 Offline

Loc: Washington State
Chick has it down "pat." That's exactly how I lost my 60 lbs. I will never go on a diet again. I just eat right, and cut down on the portions. Breakfast is very important!!!!
I find eating a larger lunch, and a very small dinner really helps me.
I'm still working on the last ten lbs.
And YES.....exercise!!
I do water aerobics 3 times a week and Pilates inbetween with some weight training.
No more fad diets for me. It's a complete lifestyle change.
Good luck.......you to can do it!!!
Lynne

#19307 - 12/14/05 09:10 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
LB, I guess one could consider me a vegeterian with the exception of a turkey pattie every now and then. I do eat some tuna occassionally, but hardly ever do I eat chicken, and I don't care for steak. It's okay, but I can leave it.

I do eat a lot of salads. A lot.

You brought up a good point though and I'm going to do some research on it. I excercised one time for 6 weeks straight walking at least for 30 minutes a day. I didn't lose one inch and no pounds. I felt better, but that was it.

That was last year. It was so frustrating! Then I ran across an article about menopause and weight gain, and how some women gain in the middle and CAN'T loose it no matter how hard they try, felt I was in that category and gave up. How silly of me... but I did. Anyway, as I said, serious this time.

I think I will try eating more breakfast and lunch, and less supper, although I don't eat a lot of supper as it is...but I DO have snacks late at night.

And I am not drinking my water like I use to. Water aerobics...hmmm... that might work too. I hadn't thought of that. I love to walk though and it is just a matter of getting back into that routine. Not only was it good for me physically, it cleared the cobwebs!

JJ

#19308 - 12/14/05 09:13 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ, as for the exercise problem, I used to know a lady from Phily who lost a bunch of weight and all she did was walk. She didn't change her eating habits at all. Trixie would be a good companion for you to walk with and she would love it if she's healthy enough to do it. I would walk Daisy more, but afterwards, I need a trip to the chiropractor. Your climate is not too hateful either.

It looks to me like you eat like a bird already.

Daisygirl

#19309 - 12/14/05 09:24 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Women, you have given me sooo much to think about. And you just wouldn't believe how determined I am to do this! Thanks for giving me your thoughts and experience. Please keep them coming. I feel like the smokers right now, you know? I can give them advice all day long and encourage them, but now I need the advice and encouragement and so I see how they must feel. Way to go girls! I have always had a problem with asking people for help. I've always done everything on my own. I say that's too much pride and a person could choke on it. The new me is more open and honest. Today a toad, tomorrow a diva! Liva la diva!

A famous woman once told me, the only way to make this work, is to work on it.

How appropriate... course that does leave no room for whining...hmm...

Many, many thanks!

JJ

#19310 - 12/14/05 09:30 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
chickadee Offline

Here's a few pointers that worked for me over the years.

NEVER miss a meal.
Eat a fruit in between meals to get you through til bnext meal.
Eat what YOU like, that's healthy.
If you must Fry, try using broth.
Steam veggies. The real ones.
Drink water and get into the habit.
Use diet drinks if you must have soda... but try to cut back.
Use preserves, jam or jelly rather than butter on toast.
Butter or margarine which is better? Butter for me...used on occasion.
Cut back on coffee/tea sweetener a few grains at a time until it's gone. May take a few months.
Eat real foods (minimal boxes/ cans/ pkgs)too much salt.
Close salt shaker and shake more but use none.(lol, mind over matter)
Keep a record. I did and it showed where I could enhance eating healthier, cut out diet drinks and drink more water. (I highly recommend BWS diet forum)
Exercise by doing what you like. Walking is natural. Walk anywhere...
If you want a 'treat', have a treat - don't deny yourself all the time. I eat my treat while I'm grocery shopping, keeps from being hungry and buying Junk.]
DO NOT BUY JUNK.
DO NOT BUY JUNK.
DO NOT BUY JUNK.

more to come...
chcik

#19311 - 12/14/05 09:52 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I suppose Oreo's fall under the "JUNK" category, eh?

Thanks Chick.. I'm thinking I'll do me a timeline where I can see the success as it comes. I love Excel so why not make a chart? It beats drawing on the walls. And congrats on the quit smoking thang...

JJ

#19312 - 12/14/05 10:04 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ, the lady who lost by walking walked a long time, can't remember how long. You can research walking and see what you'd have to do. Walking is sort of boring, but if you get a speedometer?, an iPod, take your cell phone, you could find a way to entertain yourself and accomplish some things. Just a thought - I'm convincing myself too.

Daisygirl

#19313 - 12/14/05 10:08 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
ladybug Offline

Really good list Chickadee! Yes, and do take a walk. I do 2.2 mi., in the morning and 4.6 mi., at night. If you can't do that much at least do the two miles and walk briskly. This exercise is free and releases endorphins which make you feel good afterwards.

Another good little guide to get you started (as I did over ten years ago) is a book I'm sure most of you have heard of: Stop the Insanity! by Susan Powter. When I first saw her I thought to myself, never would I take advice from someone who looks like a plucked chicken. I thought wrong.
Her book made so much sense and it was in her book that she referred to Dr. John McDougall.
Yes, we could make this another self-help forum to encourage each other! [Wink]

#19314 - 12/14/05 10:20 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Very good advice LB and Daisygirl. I've been sitting here formulating my plan of attack and also thinking about something that Vicki Taylor did when she lost all of her weight. She marched during commercials on TV. Let's face it, that's at least 10 minutes worth of marching I could do on rainy days.

Oh gosh! It just hit me. A friend of mine called me last night and said, "hey, I got a bunch of pedomitors that I need to get rid of, you want one?" How spooky is this? She called last night, I said "sure" but never connecting it with today's post. WOW!

Thanks again, JJ

#19315 - 12/15/05 12:38 AM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Read the book The Crazy Makers. You'll be sure to lose weight! It's about how the food industry is messing with our brains and hurting our children. The subtitle is something like that. But you will realize that so much of what we call food has no nutritional value. The book has nothing to do with diets, but it will make you lose weight!

I say small portions, 3 meals a day, nothing after dinner, watch the carbs, and exercise!

Another thing you can try is think about all your boomer sisters watching you put every morsel in your mouth. That's similar to how the BWS diet works!

Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 ... 24 25 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved