The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#19296 - 12/14/05 07:16 PM Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ladies,
As you all know, while caregiver for Daddy, I also quit smoking, had a car wreck that nearly killed me, and was out of work for three months as a result of it. During this time, I managed to put on 30 pounds. I was already carrying around an extra 15-20 pounds, so now I resemble a basketball with teeth. Good thing I'm cute. Ahem...

I always put my goals down on paper and that makes them more real, easier to follow, at least for me. What I would like to know (in earnest) from you all is your opinions on

Atkins
South Beach
Weight Watchers
Nutrisystem
Jenny Craig
The Zone
Abstaining (least fav)

What I would like to know is have you tried any of these? Were you successful? Failed? Did you have any medical reprecussions? For instance, I went on the Atkins diet one time and my liver count skyrocketed (during the wreck recuperation period) and my doctor said, "get off that diet immediately!" Any discussion on these diets would be appreciated. Oh and also, did you do anything "extra" while doing these diets, like exercising, praying, eating your young...whatever!

Why am I asking? Well, cause I want to loose some weight and I'm giving it serious thought as to which way to go...

p.s. you don't have to just talk about the ones above... ANY diet or input is appreciated!

Thanks in advance, JJ

#19297 - 12/14/05 07:30 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
ladybug Offline

JawJaw, I don't do or recommend any of those fad diets. There's too much counting, eliminating and this and that. You already know what works for me and I'm not starving or feeling poorly. No medications, no arthritis and no high blood pressure. I fit into clothes from the junior department.

Again, check out any of the material produced by Dr. John McDougall. I've been doing it for over ten years now and it works.

#19298 - 12/14/05 07:34 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

LB,
I did read the book and it was an eye-opener, but I felt it was too restrictive, and couldn't see myself "sticking" to it as a lifestyle...you know what I mean? I felt like after I read it, there was nothing left but cardboard to eat. Now that is a big exaggeration, and I know it, but maybe if you gave me (again) and for the benefit of everyone here, a "run-down" of this diet, along with what you typically eat, I might see it differently... MAYBE? I am certainly open to discussing it! I do so appreciate your input because I am serious about it. And you know me, I don't DO serious...Thanks LB!

JJ

#19299 - 12/14/05 07:36 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

And LB, I should have called it a "lifestyle" instead of a diet, yes?

JJ

#19300 - 12/14/05 07:52 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
JJ, it's very easy for me to lose weight, but it's also very easy to gain it back. Last year I lost quite a bit by following the Adkins diet, but I actually didn't follow it all that closely. Basically, I cut down on sweets, bread and pasta. I didn't count anything and I noticed that I didn't crave sweets as much on this diet. I never felt hungry, either.

The Adkins is healthy compared to what my body is used to. I over-eat when I'm bored, depressed about something, stressed or driving on a business trip.

Daisygirl

#19301 - 12/14/05 07:55 PM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Ladybug...I also need to loose some weight, and would be interested in seeing the diet you and JJ are talking about.

JJ, I know the hubby's aunt was on the Adkins, and the South Beach diet for awhile. She's Italian and loves to cook for family...then the eating goes right along with all of it. So, I not sure she really stayed with it the way she should, cause she didn't have alot of sucess.

Before, I met hubby he had been on Weight Watchers diet, and did really well with that one.
He has a problem yo-yo'ing, plus he's diabetic.

Since I stopped smoking I've wanted to eat everything in sight. Was having a daily bowl of ice cream right before bed...so I've cut that out.
Weight seems to flucate up and down, think some of it is due to the heart and water retention.
But, the blood pressure is down.

Normally, what works for me is running from the food, and listening to my stomach complain.
Or, putting that twittle plate of food in front of myself at dinner. (twittle: hardly anything)!
Holidays seem to make things even worse.

Waiting to see the reply's from the other ladies also.

#19302 - 12/15/05 08:03 AM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
chickadee Offline

JJ, You had such a difficult time and so many things happening back then, God love you.

It sounds like you are READY to tackle this - with READY being the key word of the month around here.

How do we lose weight? is as plain as the nose on our faces. We know the answers but we are all looking for quick, easy and painless ways to rid ourselves of excess weight. The only problem is we want it now! CAN"T HAPPEN! You need to get into the habit of eating healthy for the most part and the weight will take care of itself. It is a forever kind of thing,(with a dash of badness when you just can't help yourself)
You know how we can become obsessed with something like this. If we are wanting to lose weight what do we do? We think about Food, food food - all day long and end up eating more than when we weren't dieting.

Remember when Dianne said, If your still craving (cigs) then it means you are not ready. Gosh those words did it for me...

Eat and forget you're on a Diet, because you're not...you're feeding your body what it needs to make it through the day. Just be more particular about what you want it to have.
Another aspect to healthy living is exercise...We all hate it - how to get around it? By moving not sitting. (I know there are other ways...I hate 'em all.)
Lets make this topic for you and others like they did for the smokers - It sure helped me!

With you all the way,
chick

#19303 - 12/15/05 08:14 AM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chick,
Truer words were never spoken... And honey, did you EVER hit the nail on the head. I know me, and once I make my mind up, I'm almost obsessive about my methods. However, I also know me in that it has to be structured and laid out there.

So, a friend once told me that what makes us well, you know, that three letter word...it was simply the food we put in our mouths. There again, more trueism...

Given all of that... and because I am SOLEY in charge of my menu's and grocery shopping... here is a sample of what I eat, almost weekly. Anybody want to take a shot at what wrong with this picture? Chick?

Breakfast
Either one or two pieces of toast, usually no butter, but sometimes yes

Lunch
sometimes not at all, but if I do, its late in the day around 2ish... and usually soup (homemade) with a side order of pickled baby corns. Or maybe a sliced cucumber... or a salad.

Dinner
Sometimes a lein crusine or weight watchers frozen pizza, or an package of those Szechuan frozen veggies (gawd, I'm addicted to these) or maybe a package of the broccolli, cauliflower, carrots in butter one...

Snacks later at night include but are not limited to one ice cream bar (dollar store) or a nutty butty. Sometimes I just have a peppermint or two and that's all.

So, you see I don't eat that much. So do you think it is the exercise that I need to add? I don't do ANY....Just the mention of it makes my butt want to crochet barbwire... BUT... I want to do this!

Oh, one more thing...my menu for lunch and supper are sometimes reversed. And sometimes, the only thing I eat at all ALL DAY LONG is a salad. With ranch dressing.

My eating habits are terrible, of this I know...

Let's face it, I'm a toad...JJ

#19304 - 12/15/05 08:40 AM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
chickadee Offline

Toad? So that's how you got to be Queen!

Breakfast - not enough. I guess if you drop your toast it will never be butter side down. Always eat breakfast and eat enough to keep you hunger pang free for a couple hours. When you get hungry, eat a fruit - I am banana gal...pick peel and eat - I wish all foods came that way! If you miss breakfast, your metabolism is "royally screwed" for the day.

Try your fav cereal with milk. Have some eggs with chees, yogurt or cottage cheese. OR something you love that's not too fatty. NEVER SKIP even if it's a banana. Eat what YOU like.

Lunch -Never Miss or you'll be eating for two later on in the evening. Soup's good. Sandwich and salad. Don't eat what you think is good. Eat what you like that IS good. Don't obsess about it.
If you miss meals your body goes into starvation mode and your body starts eating itself...Anyone want to challenge this? I think I'm right...

Dinner if it comes in a box/can or frozen food section - don't touch it - the salt content will kill you!
Make something...this also keeps you on the move. Hate to cook? Slap it in a roaster with real veggies and set it and forget it. Dinner for one, for three meals .i.e Slap chicken and veggies in oven...1. roast chicken w veggies = 2.chicken sandwich = 3.chicken soup made with already cooked left over veggies.
More to come...
chick

#19305 - 12/15/05 08:45 AM Re: Diets - The Final Frontier
ladybug Offline

I think Chickadee did say it best. I also think some of the weight problems are tied into our hormonal changes as well.

If you can't give up meat just alter the McDougall diet to include a little. My husband lost a lot of weight without fad diets. I just altered the McDougall diet for him. I think if you can learn to cook food without ANY oils, cheeses, butter or margarine you are taking a step in the right direction. I'm really a person committed to healthier eating so it's easy for me to stick to this lifestyle. I never skip meals and eat whenever I'm hungry, which, come to think of it is now. My breakfast will be brown rice with chickpeas and black beans. I cooked up a large amount yesterday and just heat up the portions I want out of the tupperware container it's stored in. Ugh, I hear you all saying! LOL!!!!I use to loathe brown rice but now I love it. Daisygirl is right, breads and pasta put on a lot of weight. Pasta made with whole wheat is more filling so you could have 1 or 2 cups at lunch. There really are a lot of good salad dressings without oil in them. I don't really eat too many salads. If you've got a Trader Joes near you they have lots of good frozen veggie combos. Just read the bags to notice the *total fat grams per serving. If you absolutely love meat buy a smaller steak and do what I do for my husband and son. I cut off every speck of fat. There really is too much on a good strip or Porterhouse anyway. It still has good flavor.
Dr. John McDougall has a website where you can get an idea of what he's about but I caution you, if you would never consider vegetarianism he's not for you. But as I said before, you can take what you like from his ideas. It worked for my husband and he's not a vegetarian.

[ December 14, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 ... 24 25 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved