The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#199061 - 02/03/10 10:46 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hmmm...well you can make regular Southern cornbread and I'm not talking about that Johnny cake that has sugar in it, either. Or...you can make the Sour Cream Cornbread that mom usually makes with this dish. Here is the

SOUTHERN CORNBREAD RECIPE

Preheat the oven to 425°.

INGREDIENTS
2 4 tablespoons shortening (or bacon drippings)
1 1/2 cups white self-rising cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk or sweet milk
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda if using buttermilk

DIRECTIONS:
Put shortening into an iron skillet and put in the oven while it's preheating. Combine the cornmeal and flour, then mix in the egg and milk. Mix should be like thick pancake batter. If not, you can add some water to it.

Take the hot pan from the oven, pour some of the melted shortening (a tablespoon or more) into the batter, then pour all of the batter into the hot skillet. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outer crust is golden brown. Flip over onto plate. Eat yourself silly...

Here is the

Sour Cream Cornbread Recipe

#199064 - 02/03/10 11:27 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This is a good recipe for the recipe section...Rarely see one on bread there. Sounds yummy and I LOVE breads of all kind.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199088 - 02/04/10 10:07 AM Re: Chew on this! [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Yummy...a further request from your fandom. What is oleo in Brit-speak? Margarine, lard, butter? Google is confused.

#199093 - 02/04/10 02:08 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oleo is a sub for margarine...

#199104 - 02/04/10 04:02 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

Martha White's buttermilk cornmeal mix in the big bag is awesome...I heat the iron skillet with a big dallop of Criso in the oven until it's hot...then I pour in the cornbread mix...it sizzles around the edges...I've had so many compliments on her cornbread...the secret...Crisco. I melt it and pour it in the mix as well...I can hear the arteries closing as I type...but, it issssssss good.
I liked Jiffy mix until I tried Martha White's...hands down so much better and JJ I'm with you...no sugar!

#199108 - 02/04/10 05:53 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

You can't beat Crisco, and especially Martha White's flour and cornmeal...oh yeah, now ya talkin'!

#199121 - 02/05/10 12:19 AM Re: Chew on this! [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dee, my mother, aunt, and grandmother all used Crisco for everything and my mom is 89, and my aunt, moms sister is 91 and both are still going strong. My grandmother did too, so who is to say what's bad and whats not? If it works, use it! If it takes good, eat it...Oh Yea!!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199157 - 02/05/10 02:39 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

I made red beans with Tony C's in them...(they are so good I slap any mama within reach)...will bake a fresh skillet of cornbread, turnips, mashed potatoes and chicken. YUM...That's Larry's b-day lunch...for desert, a party with his family and friends.

#199328 - 02/08/10 06:49 PM Re: Chew on this! [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The only thing I know about Martha White is that she sponsors
Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. LOL...

#199551 - 02/13/10 02:55 AM Re: Chew on this! [Re: jawjaw]
Baby Boomer Girl Offline

Loc: Wellington, New Zealand
Here in New Zealand we're amused at the American expression of 'Fixing' food. Here, we fix things when there's something wrong, so 'fixing' food conjures up fun images of food-gone-wrong that is being fixed! Over here we 'make' or 'prepare' dinner. I like the thought of those mushrooms, but I hope I don't have to fix them! smile
Facebook.com/babyboomergirl (Profile: Radha Sahar)

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved