The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#19041 - 11/21/05 07:53 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Yes, norma calling me "bug is okay and I feel very good to know that I am your unofficial sponsor. I'm also pleased that you've made a courageous effort to cut back.

JawJaw thank you for your compliments too. I really enjoyed your newsletter today!

Chickadee, I wanted this special area to avoid any negative comments we might get which I feel would sabotage your efforts at quitting. I just came up with this idea and hope Dotsie doesn't mind especially because I made a big boo-boo but not asking her first. I thought of it after I had done it but knowing Dotsie she is all for anything that helps everyone. You also do my heart glad to hear you are closer to quitting than ever before in your life. You can do it sweet chickadee.

Dianne, Encarta is usually given free with the purchase of your computer. It's like an entire set of encyclopedias. You might have something different but check it out.

Remember, do not be hard on yourselves if you "backslide." the holidays bring stress, mostly being with relatives that can get on your nerves. If you find yourselves sneaking out for a smoke to relieve the stress try eating a little something first or take a short walk if it isn't below freezing!

Keep posting on here each day with your progress and I'll be in to check on you and talk.

I can tell you're all really beautiful people with hearts of gold. We can all help each other.
My love to you today and SMILE!

[ November 21, 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#19042 - 11/22/05 08:06 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

I'd also like to ask you if you know that those god-awful high taxes you are charged on your smokes helps to pay for all kinds of worthwhile projects in your state? People who are rigidly anti-smoking never think of that.

In colonial times nearly everyone smoked. The tobacco industry at that time literally helped build this country. Tobacco has many useful medicinal purposes. I'm not encouraging tobacco here but also trying to lessen the stigma associated with it. Tobacco has an interesting history.

Feel free to add any other facts here. My son said I really should read up on tobacco so I can be more helpful to you. He taught me a lot last night about it on our evening walk. He thinks this "mini-forum" is a good idea.

#19043 - 11/21/05 10:31 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Let's also look at the pros and cons the anti-smoking groups have generated:

Pro: bringing more awareness to the dangers of smoking and perhaps making someone who is about to smoke not smoke. Very good point.

Con: indoctrinating far too many people to develop a strong dislike for smokers and maybe even allowing people to think it's okay to "bash" smokers. Before these groups came out against smoking you didn't hear of extreme rudeness to smokers. Note all the unsavory activities they equate with smoking. I'm sure 99% of you and more are just honest, law-abiding individuals who simply like to smoke.

When you decide to finally quit (as some of you already have) remember to first, be doing it for yourself because YOU are the biggest benefactor.

For an example of how strongly the media affects people we can look to the city of Cleveland. The famous Cleveland Indians logo is a funny-looking red-faced cartoon character. Certain groups came out in full force a few years ago saying this logo demeans all American Indians. Guess what? I never even equated this cartoonish character with a real American Indian until these folks brought it up. Now almost everyone hates this decades old beloved icon. His familar face has been almost totally dropped from all Indians advertising and products. All through the power of certain groups.

#19044 - 11/21/05 10:38 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
Chick.. having only 4 i think is tremendous, i had 15 yesterday, and that is a big improvement for me.

Bug.. because of the high cost to our health system due to smoking, not only lung cancer, but ulcers, depression, etc. the tax on cigerettes apparently doesn't even come near the covering the cost - another reason why we pound ourselves with guilt here. And another reason why being accepted without criticism by you is such a gift.

Each cigerette is not only a relief from the craving, but a reinforcement of guilt for a number of reasons, besides our adding to the health care costs.

How to start the day without 2 in a row I dont know. That is going to be major step for me.
Maybe "Learn to accept the things i cannot change"
meaning the first hour will have to be just endured... well that will be for tomorrow as this day has already begun. Thanks Bug.

#19045 - 11/21/05 10:47 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
norma Offline

Guilt...... oh how that gets reinforced in so many subtle and not so subtle ways throughtout society, and not only because one smokes....
Bug..... thanks again.

#19046 - 11/21/05 11:25 PM Re: Smoking Section Only
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
A neighbor of mine was raised on a tobacco farm and told me his mother would not allow any of her children to smoke. Just an interesting tidbit of information to make you think.

#19047 - 11/22/05 01:13 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

Norma and anyone else feeling guilt please stop.

What about the cost to health care from people who have heart attacks and strokes (my husband being one)? What about drug addicts and alcoholics as well? How about people who engage in risky sexual behavior and have the unfortunate outcome of aids?

Certainly these people add to the cost of health care and I've never heard one of them express any guilt about it, yet their numbers are much, much higher. I know many, many more people with heart disease and diabetes than lung cancer. I'm not telling you to go ahead and have that cigarette but I just want you to stop feeling guilty. Do you pay for health insurance? Nobody gave it to you for free did they?

Start right now by throwing the guilt out the window because it's unfounded. Instead feel good about yourself for trying to kick this habit.

Promise the 'ol bug, no more guilt.

[ November 21, 2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#19048 - 11/22/05 01:38 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
ladybug Offline

I hope no one with these serious diseases took offense. It was not meant to offend anyone but just to make a point.

Almost all of us could feel guilt for contributing to the costs of health care but we shouldn't because we're only human and we make mistakes. Many diseases aren't even our faults. Sometimes we can have the healthiest life style and still wind up with a disease but we can't allow ourselves to feel guilty.

#19049 - 11/22/05 03:35 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My ex BIL used to nag me and insult me about my smoking. Like I was uneducated or something. He's a doctor and is now HIV Positive. Seems he had unprotected sex. And, he looked down his nose at me? I'd rather smoke any day than know I could go into full blown AIDS any day.

#19050 - 11/22/05 03:55 AM Re: Smoking Section Only
norma Offline

I burst out laughing in pure delight when i read your wonderful request for the promise Bug, it's a deal, best request i've ever heard bar none.

Chick.. when your experiencing a moment of pure pleasure, do you then also want to light up a cigerette ? Kinda like sharing the joy with an old friend?

At this age in life, we have already had to accept the loss of so many treasured relatives and friends , i wonder if it would help by considering my cigerette as an old and steady companion who is also dying?

Bug... thank you, i cant think of anyone would make a better sponser!!!!

Page 3 of 23 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 22 23 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved