The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#18891 - 11/12/05 09:38 PM Tattoos
ladybug Offline

I've been considering a tattoo for several years now. Well gee, this isn't something you rush into. I was thinking maybe a small heart or butterfly on the ankle. Or a Ladybug? Anyway, have any of you gotten one or are contemplating getting one? I look at it as a silent rebellion since no one except my family and I would know it was there. I know some people find tattoos objectionable but I don't know...I've got an urge for a Harley too. What's with that? [Roll Eyes]

#18892 - 11/12/05 11:06 PM Re: Tattoos
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Many moons ago... while living in San Diego I decided I needed a tattoo. Being the big navy area it wasn't too hard finding a shop.
At the time strawberry's were the big thing.
So, after looking at the different pages of tattoo's I asked the guy if he could free draw.
That strawberry... didn't even look like a strawberry.

My son-in-law to be is a tattoo artist, he at one time worked full time, now he is in the reserves and due to deploy in Feb. to Iraq.
First of Dec. my daughter is going to marry him after 8 years.... took her awhile to say yes.

Anyways...he turned my ugly strawberry into the most beautiful rose. Colors are just amazing.
Let me give you a few pointers if your going to do this.

Any good tattoo artist will have a collection of pictures, designs they have created.
Ask to check photographs of their work. Make sure the area and equipment is clean.
My tattoo sits upon my left shoulder so not many people notice, (some company's have strict policies about tattoos that are seen). So decided before going, where you will be placing it.

My eldest daughter has a small butterfly placed near her ankle....just large enough to notice.

As for the Harley...I'll take one too.

#18893 - 11/12/05 11:12 PM Re: Tattoos
ladybug Offline

Well Brenda, my name is Rose and I'm glad to hear that strawberry bloomed into something a lot nicer. You've given me the incentive to do this and some very good pointers. Whenever we pass by the tattoo parlor and I mention it to my kids I get a reaction like, eewww, mom, you're too old for that. Mind you, they think I look young and cute for my age but I guess they just donot want to see their mom with a tattoo. But, that's my decision to make and not theirs. Thanks again for the encouragement. I think it should be a Ladybug. Been out looking at those Harleys too.

#18894 - 11/12/05 11:20 PM Re: Tattoos
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I have a beautiful monarch butterfly on my right arm, up near my shoulder.

Make sure the design you choose, and the place you want to put it are something you'll be happy about for the rest of your life because its permanent.

I have another tatoo on my left shoulder that I wish I didn't get now - but I don't regret the butterfly at all.

So I'm one of those people who are both happy with and regretful of their tatoos [Smile]

I ditto the advice on cleanliness - the girl who did mine was extremely fussy about cleanliness, she even cancelled one of my appointments when she had a cold.

#18895 - 11/13/05 12:37 AM Re: Tattoos
ladybug Offline

A few folks told me that getting a tattoo hurts a bit, does it? Does it take very long to do it and did you have any problems while it healed? How about price range? How do you take care of it right after it's been done? Thanks for your input!

#18896 - 11/13/05 01:13 AM Re: Tattoos
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
My son, who was always considered wimpy, recently got 2 tattoos. I think the pain must be very tolerable. He was instructed to wash with antibacterial soap for a few weeks and also to put a moisturizing lotion on it, like Curel.

I wanted to get a tattoo when I was 18, but my husband, who was then my boyfriend, basically badgered me not to. Guess he was bossy even back then...

#18897 - 11/13/05 02:00 AM Re: Tattoos
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Know for a small piece 3"x5" son-in-law charges anywhere from $35.00 to $50.00 depending on the detail. Would imagine they average up and down according to where you live...larger city less.

My rose is about 5"x5" it took about 45 minutes or so...really depends on the experience of the artist.

Know Ed always tells his clients to buy the A&D ointment and keep that on for awhile...if they dry out to much they tend to run, or fade (smear).

Yes, there is a bit of pain starting out a nagging, stop that feeling. After awhile it tends to numb the surrounding area.
Helps if you can relax and breathe deeply.

If, you plan on getting the lady bug Google tattoo ladybug see what comes up.

http://tattoo.about.com/library/bl073104z.htm

#18898 - 11/13/05 04:08 AM Re: Tattoos
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have to say a tatoo has never entered my mind. I have however been on a Harley many times, my friend the detective has one. Both my sons had motorcycles at one time too. I have a birthmark on my left wrist that resembles a strawberry but its light brown, thats enough for this wimp...oh, needles!!! [Frown] icky poo...

[ November 12, 2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#18899 - 11/13/05 05:58 AM Re: Tattoos
ladybug Offline

I love that ladybug tattoo!! If I could be sure mine looked like that I'd do it in a minute. Chatty you made me laugh and I got a little bit uneasy when yepthatsme described the feeling. I think I'd want mine really small and on the arm way up close to the shoulder. Thanks for the info on the cost and care of it. I'll let you all know if I go through with it. My husband was a little surprised that I even considered it.

#18900 - 11/13/05 06:44 AM Re: Tattoos
karenelaine1977 Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I'd love to get a tattoo. I've been thinking about it off and on for a while. I've asked my husband about getting one, too. I, too, want to get one where it's not for everyone else to see. My choice is a picture I found on Google. It's a dogwood flower, but turned to where it's in the shape of a cross. It's beautiful.

Our main wonder is whether a tattoo stays in tact, even through aging or losing weight, etc. I want one on my back shoulder and he's thought about one on his shoulder. Anyone know if it stays in tact?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved