The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#188324 - 08/15/09 04:15 PM Addictions!!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Someone wrote a column in our local paper depicting that alcohol is like a piece of gum when comparing drugs and alcohol. Is he nuts? I think alcoholism is just as serious as using drugs, heck I think alcohol is a drug...Help me here, whats are your opinions?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#188339 - 08/15/09 07:10 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Alcohol can be no worse than a piece of gum, but not to someone who has a predisposition to addiction. Some people can have one drink or even half a drink and no more. Others can have one drink and then not stop. It's all relative. Research shows that there are some people who have certain brain chemistry who will become addicted to alcohol, or drugs, or sex, or gambling, or whatever.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#188350 - 08/15/09 09:39 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: yonuh]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Unfortunately, there's no test to tell if you could become addicted. It's trial and error, and most of the time, the trial lasts long enough for one to become addicted if they have a tendency to do so.

Alcohol is a drug that can affect every organ in the our bodies over time. It's also a depressant.

#188364 - 08/16/09 02:30 AM Re: Who's right? [Re: Dotsie]
KathyC Offline

Loc: North of Dallas, TX
Alcohol or drugs = problem to some people.

Having had a drug problem in my younger years, I can attest that alcohol can become just as much a problem as drugs. The only difference I can see, is that alcohol is "legal". But even some drugs (pain medication) are legal. Doesn't mean that they are good for you. A person can get just as addicted to pain medication as they can to alcohol or illegal drugs.

Thankfully I can control myself on alcohol - about one drink a week.

And more thankfully, I was able to kick my drug habit on my own and cold turkey. And I've stayed off drugs for 24 years now with no relapses. Yippee!!!

#188472 - 08/18/09 01:45 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: KathyC]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Alcohol is a drug!

#188475 - 08/18/09 01:49 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
KathyC, congrats to you for kicking a habit. I know a couple boomers who could kick the drinking habit, have tried off and on, not been successful, and it still remains a problem in their relationships. Very sad. It's not only what they are doing to their bodies, it's also how it affects their loved ones.

There's a lot in print news this week about boomers being binge drinkers. Many people think it's just the kids, but they're finding out that a big percentage of boomers are downing five shots a night and not considering bingeing. There was also mention of boomer being addicted to RX drugs too.

#188513 - 08/19/09 01:25 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

I saw that clip about boomer binge drinkers. I think it takes
a huge faith to stop addiction. I quit smoking 25 years ago but
used hypnosis. After watching my cousin die from COPD, I thank God it was successful!

#188547 - 08/19/09 08:40 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: jabber]
WellnessGR Offline

It helps to get support from people you love, organizations like AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and forums like this to get support. Has anyone who quit learned they could handle life better?

#188583 - 08/20/09 05:22 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: WellnessGR]
jabber Offline

I consumed alcohol when I was younger. But it made me feel sad and enhanced the blues, to the point I was nearly suicidal for
long periods of time. I have not drank hardly any alcohol for many, many years, and certainly not to excess, for probably three
decades. Life is so difficult right now, I fear if I got into
the alcohol, I'd go over the Niagara Falls without a barrel.
Again, I repeat: It has been my experience that booze just makes a person bluer! And yes. I handle life better without a kick that knocks me flat!

Edited by jabber (08/20/09 05:24 PM)

#188783 - 08/24/09 10:38 PM Re: Who's right? [Re: jabber]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
I developed a severe drinking problem at 55 yrs old. It took 4 yrs of support and hard work to finally regain control, now I won't consider a drink as one could be all it takes to make me sick again. You can't really ask which is worse, alcohol or drugs as they are both mind altering substances and can all be called drugs. Alcohol causes havoc and destruction just as much as 'drugs'. Perhaps because it is so readily available and socially acceptable is causes more personal and societal damage as a whole.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved