The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#188697 - 08/23/09 01:44 PM Re: Whats yours? [Re: orchid]
Olgraymare Offline

Loc: southwestern Ohio
Ladies, I have a question for you-all, related to 'hobbies'....

Does anyone do the flea market (or swap meet as it's known outwest) thing? What I mean is, does anyone scrounge and buy at garage/yard sales, and auctions, then use your 'finds' as inventory for setting up your own booth at a flea market? The reason I ask is I'm Interested in starting in with such an endeavor, but don't want to jump in whole-hog at this point, only put my toe in. So, I thought, if anyone already does this, as their hobby (that might bring in some extra moolah too) I'd welcome any pointers, do's and don't, etc., if I get started down that path. I should have posted this under Entreprenure (spelling?), but, don't know if "junking" qualifies as an actual business (LOL).

My dad did this for years, as a sideline, and it ended up taking up a Lot of his weekends. But he loved it, so didn't matter. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether he ever broke even or even made a small profit. I'm guessing 'no'. In my case, I would want to at least be able to make some extra money (down the road, after set up costs), while having fun interacting with folks and etc.

Any advice or thoughts anyone? THX aheadatime.

Author website: http://www.olgraymare.com
"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am..."

#188726 - 08/23/09 07:56 PM Re: Whats yours? [Re: Olgraymare]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Olgraymare, You're in luck as several of our women make livings at these merkets. Hopefully you'll get the answers you need. My advice would be to find someone doing the market and ask to share 1/4 or 1/2 their table/space for awhile, say a month and see how your stuff sells. That will give you an idea of what to do.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#188742 - 08/24/09 02:46 AM Re: Whats yours? [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Interesting, Ol' Gray Mare. Just today Dad, who is 81+, and my stepmother told me about their 2-day yard sale they just had. One item Dad sold was a table/shelf thing that he found on the side of the road. He fixed it, painted etc. and sold it for $20. Amazing...he's always done stuff like that.

Years ago he and my step mom (My mother died in 1975) used to do Antique markets.....he would buy up old, well-built rocking chairs and re-cane, re-rush them, paint, stain etc and sell for good money.

I think it's a grand idea! Some time ago, I wanted to open a store with the theme of "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without". I LOVE refurbishing stuff.

#188879 - 08/26/09 12:28 AM Re: Whats yours? [Re: Di]
Olgraymare Offline

Loc: southwestern Ohio
Thx Chatty & Di; Matter of fact, I sort of thought of Chatty's idea of maybe trying to 'share' a space with someone already there. Could help out babysitting each others stuff that way, for pottie breaks, and a bit of shopping. There are a couple 'big deal' flea markets coming up, for the labor day weekend, that I plan to check out. So, might as well snoop into the business end of it, while I'm at it.

My grandmother made a pillow (embroidery) that had that 'use it up...' saying on it. I never understood it as a kid, but now, it really sinks in. Grandma & Grandpa were products of the depression era, but I don't think that matters. That philosophy is a good one, no matter who you are, or where you come from. Anyway, I'll look for other inputs and/or maybe you guys can direct me to a couple of folks who do this kind of thing.

Thx ladies. Will let you know if/when I put my toe in the water.

Author website: http://www.olgraymare.com
"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am..."

#191748 - 10/15/09 12:38 AM Re: Whats yours? [Re: Olgraymare]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

My favorite hobby besides crocheting and selling afghans of all sizes, and ponchos, is volunteering at the Humane Society or/and SPCA in Nevada. It is so rewarding to help the helpless.

#191768 - 10/15/09 11:23 AM Re: Whats yours? [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I don't know if you would call this a hobby or not, but Jane has talked me into possibly doing some hiking later this week. It is something I used to enjoy a bazillion years ago. Does a hobby have to produce something tangible? If so, I suppose hiking wouldn't be considered a hobby, necessarily, but it will produce thinner hips!

#191949 - 10/16/09 11:13 PM Re: Whats yours? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Strange but I could swear I already posted this comment yesterday, oh, oh, brain drain...

What I was saying JJ was to be careful while out there hiking if in the woods because the rattlesnakes may be out hiking too. Now lets see if this disappears too...LOL!!!

#193176 - 11/04/09 11:50 AM Re: Whats yours? [Re: chatty lady]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I don't know if this is a hobby or not, but I like to collect inspirational quotations. I have them posted all over my wall. And, the ones that don't fit on the the wall, go in a folder.

I love quotes!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#193201 - 11/04/09 03:13 PM Re: Whats yours? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, I believe Edelweiss also collects quotes.

#193235 - 11/04/09 05:09 PM Re: Whats yours? [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I too collect quotes, and antidotes. LOVE UM...and sometimes I collect useless sayings and phrases...coined or not. It's all good.

Chatty, rattlesnakes and their other buddies have all gone to sleep for now. Whew! Thank goodness.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved