The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 171 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#188631 - 08/21/09 05:17 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Another thing occurred to me too and I am sad about this. The end of August is creeping up very fast and I have enjoyed your time here very much. Is there a way we will be able to communicate with you later?

Cheers,
Cathi

#188636 - 08/21/09 06:38 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Wisdom&Life]
Sue W. Silverman Offline

Cathi,
Thank you, again, for such kind and supportive words. And I want you to know how much I've *loved* my time here this month! It's been great, and I appreciate the excellent comments, questions, and discussion.

To answer your questions:

While I wish I had the time, energy, money to start a publishing company, I'm afraid I don't. I also don't have the business expertise. But thank you for thinking I could do it!! And it certainly would be nice to be able to publish such important stories written by women!

Yes, of course, please stay in touch with me after August ends. I won't evaporate--HA!! My email address is suesilverman(at)charter.net. Or, if that ever changes, my contact information is always on my website, which is www.suewilliamsilverman.com.

Or, if anyone would like to study with me, I teach at the low-residency MFA in Writing Program at Vermont College of Fine Arts. Low residency means that you only have to come to campus twice a year, for ten days each time. The rest of the semester, students send their work, once a month, to their faculty advisor. In short, other than two quick trips a year, everyone operates from home! Here's the website, in case you're interested: http://tinyurl.com/kmkt5j .

Thanks, Cathi!!

#188642 - 08/21/09 10:41 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Sue W. Silverman]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Sue, if I may ask a question about the writing contest:
Quote:
Using 500 words or less, set a scene, using some sensory details, that describes one life-changing moment. Think about;

* How this moment marked a turning point, a beginning or an ending;
* How you feel about that event now, reflecting back, with the advantage of hindsight;
* If it was a sad or traumatic moment, did you overcome it and ultimately feel empowered? Or, if it was a joyous occasion, what did you learn from that?

Do you want our essay to contain ALL of these points, or are they just suggested approaches?

Poet and essayist

#188648 - 08/22/09 12:47 AM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: meredithbead]
Sue W. Silverman Offline

HI, Meredith--really, these are just suggested approaches. Kind of prompts, in a way. Mainly, I'd love for everyone to follow their best instincts and see where the words lead you!! I hope you enter! Sue

#188671 - 08/22/09 07:54 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Sue W. Silverman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Sue, I think it was when you were writing about the fear of sharing from the gut/heart. There was a quote by James McBride - "Fear is a killer of good literature." Love that quote.

Also, I'm amazed by the number of memoirs you've read. Have you read memoirs for years, or did you read most of them as research for thsi book?

#188672 - 08/22/09 07:58 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I also appreciated your comment about writing honestly. You mentioned that we're writing our lives, not xeroxing them, or something to that matter. I can't find it, but it stuck with me. I thought that was a brilliant way of sharing how memoir is written.

Also, thanks to the boomer generation, our stories are being told. I truly beleive our generation has made tremendous strides in allowing people to share the truth, even if it's ugly and prickly. The truth heals.

#188688 - 08/22/09 11:26 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Dotsie]
Sue W. Silverman Offline

HI, Dotsie,
Yes, I love that quote from James McBride, too! He came to Vermont College of Fine Arts--where I teach--and gave this amazing talk. The quote is from his talk. He just blew me away.

In terms of reading memoirs--I have read a lot--but I haven't read all the ones on my reading list, if that's what you mean??!! I wish I had, but, alas, I haven't. The books on the reading list are a combination of ones I've read as well as recommendations from others.

I totally agree with you about the popularity of writing memoir and the boomer generation! And, I meant to mention (I can't believe I forgot!!), but I posted a blog on powells.com about this very thing: boomers and memoir. It's called "The Confessions of My Generation," and you can find it here http://www.powells.com/blog/?p=7452 . Really can't believe I forgot to mention it; it was posted a few weeks ago!! I hope you enjoy it. Sue

#188768 - 08/24/09 05:54 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Sue W. Silverman]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sue, this from you, "The blurs in our memory are often clues to silence and secrets."

This struck me. Ross has this thing he calls the Bregel Block-out. He had a tough childhhod, even though he was loved by both parents, there were always changes going on. Dad married three times, plus several girlfriends, Mom married twice, lots of moves, etc. We joke about the BBO with his brother, but I'm sure they're protecting themselves from some very sad memories.

#188770 - 08/24/09 06:34 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Dotsie]
Mountain Ash Offline

"The blurs in our memory are often clues to silence and secrets."

I agree that what is not discussed openly can be a source of hurt/pain and our wonderful brain does not delve there.

In the film "Secrets and Lies" which I viewed along with women at a University summer school the Mother is surprised to find her baby who was given up for adoption at birth was black...the child now grown traces the mother and then the story unfolds

...this triggered many reactions from the class....and due to the content of the whole course counsellors were on hand...

Joharis Window where some of who and what we are is totally unknown to us comes to mind..

#188771 - 08/24/09 07:02 PM Re: Welcome Sue Silverman: Memoir Writing Expert [Re: Mountain Ash]
Sue W. Silverman Offline

Hi, Dotsie and Mountain Ash,
I agree, that this "block out" is a form of self preservation. When things can get scary, especially to kids, they protect themselves by blocking it out. That makes so much sense to me, too.

If something is going to be hurtful or painful--as "Mountain Ash" says--yes, the brain, which is all about self-preservation, doesn't "delve there." That's a good way to put it.

I haven't seen the film "Secrets and Lies," though I'd love to. It sounds fascinating.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved