The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#188664 - 08/22/09 05:31 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: jabber]
Olgraymare Offline

Loc: southwestern Ohio
Another great use for vinegar (white) is to mix it with water (35-40% vinegar), put it in spray bottles and use it to clean up dog messes. It works just as good as the commercial stuff that is supposed to break down enzymes so the dog won't sniff out that spot again, and is Way-cheaper than paying 8-10 bucks a bottle for that other stuff. I have 3 dogs, one is 17 yrs old so she has accidents; have used it on tile floor in the dog room, and wood laminate the rest of the house.

Also use small amounts of white vinegar (1/4 cup) to a half full sink of water, to soak fruits and veggies in. Supposed to kill off all the pesticides, wax, dirt, etc.. I swear, after soaking my fruits (lots of berrie and apples) for a half hour, then rinsing well, they taste so 'pure'. Could be it's in my mind, but the method sure sounds valid, and I've made it a practice since we are trying to eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies.

One more and I'll quit.... 8 parts water to 1 part apple cider vinegar makes an awesome astringent. This mixture ratio will put your skin right back at its proper pH after washing your face. You only smell like an apple for a minute or two, and your skin feels so soft and "correct". It doesn't hurt my feelings at all to use something so natural that is so CHEAP, and easy (I make up a spray bottle full and keep it in the fridge). Also great to spray on your legs, right after shaving, though that does sting a little. Makes your legs better accept the lotion to follow.

OK, I lied...another 'one more'... #4 use for white vinegar. This one is for Mustang Gal if she's listening? Make your own fly spray using the U.S. Forestry Dept. recipe (google for it) that utilized Skin So Soft (Avon) oil, vinegar, a dash of essential oil, water, and a squirt of soap. Again, CHEAP compared to commercial fly spray and very effective (albeit, my mare doesn't like the scent either and curls her lip). Flys leave her body and the general area, when the SSS/vinegar fly spray comes into the vicinity.

Author website: http://www.olgraymare.com
"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am..."

#188666 - 08/22/09 07:40 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: Olgraymare]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
These are indredible suggestions.

I'm guessing not, but doesn't the fruit or veggie absorb some of the vinegar taste? If not, that's amazing.

The cider vinegar astringent is wild. THe only time I remember putting vinegar on skiw was to take the sting out of sunburn. Anyone heard of that use.

#188673 - 08/22/09 08:00 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: Dotsie]
Olgraymare Offline

Loc: southwestern Ohio
The vinegar/water ratio for the wash for the veggies and fruit is small, only 1/4 cup to a 3/4 full sink of water. And of course, you rinse the fruit/vegetables off with a spray of cold water, after they've soaked a half hour or so... So, no funny taste! Just pure and clean. On the a.c. vinegar astringent, the 8 parts water, 1 part vingegar creates a solution with a pH that is the exact same acid/alkaline balance as 'normal' skin is supposed to be. Try it sometime, your skin really does feel good after splashing or cotton ball-ing with that stuff.

Author website: http://www.olgraymare.com
"Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am..."

#188754 - 08/24/09 02:10 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: Olgraymare]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Olgraymare,
Thanks for the hints. I love the fact that you have 3 dogs.
Dogs are my favorite people, woops, I mean animals!

#188756 - 08/24/09 02:23 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: jabber]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for mentioning the rinsing off bit. I didn't even think of that. Hello!

I have two friends who have three dogs. I don't know how they do it. One of them walks all three at once!

#188813 - 08/25/09 01:22 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Know what you mean; I have all I can do to walk one dog, let alone three. Of course, mine still thinks she's a puppy and can
act like a fool.

#188816 - 08/25/09 01:29 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
This post has been one of the most useful ones I've read in a long, long time. Thanks to all of you for contributing. If you think of anything else, please do put it here.

I've got the newspaper, DJ and Olgraymare, and I intend to try it on the inside windshield of my car to remove the cigarette smoke left there, compliments of my son. This weekend I cleaned everything with the vinegar and water solution and it was soooooooooooo easy to do, and sooooooo clean afterwards. I even gave my kitchen (plastic) garbage can a good going over and it is about 20 years old. It looks brand new. I'm not kidding. I'm having a vinegar fest and if it ain't movin' I'm washing it down. Bawwahahaha...ahem.

#189144 - 08/31/09 04:07 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

I've gotta stock up on vinegar. I see that! LOL...

#189262 - 09/02/09 05:38 PM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: jabber]
Saundra Offline

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
I need baking soda! Got plenty of vinegar. Don't ask...
www.gotteethguide.com for your Free Tips

#189433 - 09/06/09 12:00 AM Re: Baking soda works 4... [Re: Saundra]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sometimes you just can't improve on the old ways of doing things!!! And whats cheaper than baking soda and vinegar?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved