The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#18414 - 05/05/05 06:09 AM Hair Care, etc.
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Last week when I went to get my hair trimmed, the hairdresser commented that I was losing too much hair. Now, I've noticed this, but just thought it was due to age.

She suggested that I get a good Ph balanced shampoo, a good hair conditioner and a moisturizer. Unfortunately they were out of stock at the salon so I couldn't get the products that day.

Lastly, she suggested that I not color my hair very often, since that was likely most of the problem. But, I'm not ready to let the gray "out there" just yet.

So - here are my questions.

Can anyone recommend some good products? Does anybody use "natural" hair dyes or hair color?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Whirlwind

#18415 - 05/05/05 06:18 AM Re: Hair Care, etc.
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
You can pick up good hair products at any health food store, no harsh chemicals are used. They are a bit more expensive but worth it. Also depending on the color of your hair you might want to try streaking it that way the color will blend. Also many of us in the forum are taking BIOTIN, it makes the hair grow, no kidding and the only side effect is the nails grow too. I personally take 1000 mcg a day. My hair is thicker than ever before. I have been taking this natural product for years with no harm....My hairstylist turned me on to Biotin when she noticed how much my hair was thinning. Check it out...

#18416 - 05/05/05 06:38 AM Re: Hair Care, etc.
Whirlwind Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Chatty: Thanks for the suggestions. I would have never thought of a health food store, but that makes great sense! And I'll buy some biotin tomorrow.

The older I get, the more I realize I need to take really good care of my mama's only daughter.

Whirlwind

#18417 - 05/05/05 07:07 AM Re: Hair Care, etc.
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Whirlwind,

Could I suggest you take a peak at Arbonne. Our products are botanically based, PH balanced, no chemical fragrances or dyes, and no animal by-products.

I would offer you to try them at a 35% discount (what I would make if I sold them at retail).

I have a friend whose hair was thinning horribly. she started using the Arbonne products, and her hair dresser couldn't believe the difference.

The shampoo and conditioner have a hormone blocker that blocks the hormone that causes hair loss.

Just another suggestion!

Danita

#18418 - 07/20/05 04:19 AM Re: Hair Care, etc.
Virginia Lee Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Try not using conditioners of any kind. I was getting some really thin places on my head, very embarrassing. I only condition once a week now.
Also, I was taking Prem-Pro. I also went off the hormones. My hair's so thick now, my hairdresser has to thin it.
Hope this helps.
By the way, I 'let my hair go' and my hair is the most beautiful white you've ever seen! Stunning! I use Loreal Mega Lightest Ivory Blonde
to keep the yellow tinge out about every 2 months or so,and use Shimmer Lights shampoo daily to keep it snow white.
Stunning!
Virginia

#18419 - 09/01/05 10:46 PM Re: Hair Care, etc.
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've been wondering about gray hair, and how many of us are going "natural" ?

By the way, I use Biotin and my hair as thickened up and grows so fast now, I get it cut every 5 weeks. My hairdresser has commented on the difference from thinning (she could see my skin through,) to so thick now you can't see through to the scalp at all.

I've been coloring my hair since I was 25. I started going gray then. I stopped coloring my hair a couple of years ago and I like seeing the different colors gray and silver and white that streak my hair.

Every once in a while I get that old twinge to color, but my husband says no, he likes the way it looks.

What about you? If you color, Why?.. and if you do't, why not?

#18420 - 09/01/05 11:02 PM Re: Hair Care, etc.
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
Vicki- I went grey over 3 years ago- cut my dyed red locks real shot and kept cutting til it was all me
Now it's silver and white and crazy streaked down to the middle of my back
Seems every time I think of the bottle someone tells me what beautiful hair I have- and as long as my man loves it- I'll be a silver haired vixen!!! [Wink]

#18421 - 09/02/05 12:13 PM Re: Hair Care, etc.
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
One of the reasons I've never colored my hair is INERTIA! Also, I always liked the color. The silver doesn't bother me. It's now 25% silver and 75% deep brown. Husband doesn't care what I do color-wise. I'm still thinking about that purple.

I should add, I gave up all make-up except nail polish when I turned 40 (now 55). I'm into a natural look and don't feel particularly obligated to buy into the whole cosmetics thing.

[ September 02, 2005, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

#18422 - 09/02/05 06:54 PM Re: Hair Care, etc.
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Meredith, I stopped wearing makeup as well. My husband said he liked the natural look much better. He said the makeup wasn't the "real" me.

#18423 - 09/03/05 02:41 AM Re: Hair Care, etc.
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I hate make-up. Always was sorry I ever started wearing it when young. I wear less and less every year. I am down to coloring in my blonde eyebrows a bit darker and still put on a bit of mascasra. My lashes are very long but also very light in color. I do wear just a bit of powder. My hair is alost all light brown naturally now except for the side that are very light and silvery. My beautician friend says it looks so nice she said to tell others she did it for me so they would come to her. Shes a nut! I go between long and short but short is so easy and neat looking. I finally figured out some years ago, its me I have to please, no one else.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved