The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#183644 - 06/03/09 10:37 PM Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Hi Ladies, Do any of you promote yourself as an expert on your blog? I started my blog in Jan and I've been impressed with the number of private emails and even a couple of sourcing gigs. I'm very careful to not promote my service but I do provide a link to my store. It's been fun. Mine's a very specialized blog about Apparel Supply Chain- but if Chris Anderson is right about the Long Tail - there's a market for almost anything.

http://theunderwearmaven.blogspot.com/

#183652 - 06/03/09 11:31 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: underwearmaven]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I traditionally say to customers "it's my experience" or "customers testimonials say that....."

Expert? No way! But I do know what I feel is best for MY skin....at least for me. If others agree....that's great. And that sorta shows with our repeat business.

#183686 - 06/04/09 12:03 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: Di]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I just read your most recent post about color. How intersting. I never knew differnt industries used different pantone shades. Of course I'm only used to using them for Web design, but I found it interesting.

I also didn't know your history with Hanes. That's so weird becaseu the other day I was thinking about the reveiw Georgia wrote for your undies, and wondered why and how you knew to design a pair of underpants.

Mind telling us more? I'm interested.

#183687 - 06/04/09 12:03 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Oh, and I'm working with my third company to get my blog off the ground. I'm hoping to launch it in a month. I can't wait.

#183688 - 06/04/09 12:06 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I tried leaving a commnet two different ways, but couldn't. Sorry about that.

#183691 - 06/04/09 01:57 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: Dotsie]
underwearmaven Offline

Hi Dotsie, Thanks for asking. Writing about me is one of my favorite topics! So I stopped everything to write this dissertation!
Officially and per my severance agreement, I was downsized. But as my son pointed out, “Mom, Someone else has your title and your job. You need to face the facts – you were fired.” LOL Which either way, when there’s a new boss in town, the old guard needs to watch out. I’ve done my share of hiring and firing and I totally support the practice of placing trusted loyal competent players in key positions.
Anyway, in my last 2005 year with Corporate America, I sourced close to 17 million dozens of underwear and an additional 30 million yards of woven boxer fabric. These were scattered over the various owned and licensed brands like Hanes, Barely There, Champion, Polo Ralph Lauren, Duo fold and others.
I actively participated in reducing the cost of product to meet the always demanding and threatening mandates from the Big Box and Department store retailers for lower costs. It’s a sad affair when buyers don’t even try to understand the cost structure and think a business should be happy to sell to them at a loss. (And don’t get me started on Made in the USA. I do believe the women in this forum try to buy local and made in the USA. But most Americans want the best product for the lowest cost as proven by what and where they purchase.)
I took the “down sized” opportunity and corresponding severance payments to try my own brand. Make it the best and charge a fair price. It’s been a fun and educational ride, but not financially profitable.
I started the blog as a way to market my sourcing skills since it looks like I’ll need to get back into the business of being an employee. Seriously, at the Corporate VP Level, most of my time was spent on leadership skills like coaching, mentoring, and business relationships. So I need to show that I can also do the work.
Dotsie, I’ll check the comments section on my blog. I notice most readers email me directly with questions and special requests. It never occurred to me that they couldn’t post directly to my blog.
I tried to get some of my female Pakistani friends and business associates to comment and join in the Greg Mortinson 3 Cups of Tea Book but they didn’t think that was a good idea.

I missed the panty review. Where can I find it?

#183736 - 06/05/09 09:52 AM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: underwearmaven]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Interesting story. Great idea to go out on your own. Heck, why not. You certainly have the expertise. I'm sure marketing your product is the toughest challenge. The review of your product was great. You can see it at this link. You may want to put it on your site and/or blog.

http://www.nabbw.com/list_bookreview.php?book_id=120

Also, I love your son's comment. Leave it to our kids to give it to us straight up.

What do you have to say about Victoria Secret's products?

#183783 - 06/06/09 01:22 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: Dotsie]
underwearmaven Offline

Hi Dotsie, Wow, Thanks to JJ. This is a great review. Not sure how I missed it but I did notice an increase in referrals from this site and I wondered why.

#183800 - 06/06/09 03:55 PM Re: Blogs and promoting yourself as the Expert [Re: underwearmaven]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

So glad you got to read it. It was in a monthly newsletter a couple months ago, and will stay on the site as long as you are a member of the NABBW. That's how it works. I thought it was a clever reveiw for underwear. You are welcome to put it on your site/blog if you'd like. Just comment that it was reviewed by the NABBW with a link. Thanks.

I'm happy to hear you are getting more hits from our sites.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved