The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#181270 - 05/01/09 02:53 PM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
celtic, interesting to hear what Poppie has to say becasue she's been away and may be able to see a difference from the last time she was there. You are with him constantly and may have a hard time getting a different persective.

Another thing that worked tremendously for our daughter when she was young, were star charts. Because getting her out the door to school was hard for a bit, we made a chart of all she needed to do before leaving.

Always get a second opinion. And remember, you know your child best. No matter what you begin and try, you can always see how L reacts and either charge forward or retract. Baby steps.

Eat breakfast
Get dressed
Brush teeth, etc

She loved getting the stars and it kept her on task. Children with ADHD are easily distracted. Anyway, might be something you wnat to try.

#181274 - 05/01/09 04:55 PM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: celtic_flame]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:
God-controlled life because self-control is beyond human capacity. good its for you all then.

It's the only way I am able to cope over my granddaughter's deafness, Celt.

#181308 - 05/02/09 01:21 PM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: Lola]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
Lola,
What's the sign language in use over there?

There's a big deaf community in the DC area -- Gallaudet College in DC is for deaf. And there's an area college with a master's in deaf education and ASL. I had a Gallaudet student in a class I took as a doctoral student in my intercultural communication program. The deaf culture is very lively and strong and full of good people, like most communities are.

Your granddaughter's experience of the world will be different from your own, but that doesn't mean it'll be inferior. It's interesting to learn that in sign language as with any language, there are things that can't be literally translated to words.You may already know this, but one thing I've gleaned from reading papers about deaf education is that the best teachers for young teachers are those from deaf culture -- i.e., native speakers of sign language who understand all the nuances.

#181323 - 05/02/09 03:02 PM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: DJ]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Thanks, DJ.

Meg uses BSL which is different from ASL in that she uses both hands for the alphabets. I learned ASL from school as a child and I communicate with her in that way, which my granddaughter understands as well. So, she's bilingual in that sense. She is also learning to lip-read both in Welsh (her first language) and English while she can still hear on the right side, because there are days when she complains that she is having trouble with her right ear. The educational authorities here are quite exemplary with teaching support and will provide a hearing or non-hearing tutor for her should it become necessary. Grateful for your tip and will surely keep it in mind.

All in all, we take each day as it comes and leave the rest to God. Meg dictates what she wants to do and is pretty much a busy child despite being partly-deaf. She does ballet, plays the violin, attends musical theatre, surfs, swims and learns to read 45 new words a week (she's 4 & 1/2). Except for the fact that she talks louder than norm (she does not have a whisper mode), Meg's top of her class. If God plans full deafness for Meg in the future, I'm sure He'd help her cope. He does that now.

#181747 - 05/08/09 01:59 AM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: Lola]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
good to get an update about your g/d lola hear how she been doing. Sorry she ant so good on some days and we don't know how its eventulie gonna go for her but it sounds like she is doing fine and no matter what will contunue to be fine.

thanks dotsie, star charts and promt cards. I went through that with him and though he gone past that but i bring it back to it again, might be more basics we gonna have to keep doing for now. lol back to my old stick figures.

hes responding to the restructuring ok, the up in "arms stage is subsiding" and hes getting into a new way of doing bits, so i let him rest for a week then push for some more stuff,

thanks ladies for the thoughts and for suggestions i need reminding as sometimes the simplest things can be overlooked or just forgotten about.

cheers.

#182737 - 05/22/09 06:46 AM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: celtic_flame]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hello Ladies, I hate when I stumble on a post about the wee man and it updates me on how things are!!Celt mo amanchara, I don't recal having made a decision regaurding L and medicine...what I do remember is saying that it may be something needing looked at at some stage.
The decision to medicate L doesn't sit comfortably with me and would much prefer other methods which would assist L in moving on past some old behaviours and all the current day to day issues in need of challenging.Dots, you made a very astute observation and comment re me not seeing L for large chunks of time.
When I do, I see improvement in all areas(this can hit my denial buttons as I pray and hope that Ls' diagnosis was or is inacurate!!not helpful for Celt as she is with L 24/7)...this is directly linked to Celts skills as a Mom(and her extensive learning and succeeding some pretty darn good qualifications.

Her care of L is outstanding, how she mangages his wee life is a big credit to her and as I have said many, many times...there is not one single soul that I would put complete trust of my son..(or any other kid for that matter).

I miss the two of them so much and find myself questioning my endeavours in London(I get this in my head at least 5/6 times in a day)

Sometimes, I want to lose sight of my studies for the sake of my family(However, I want to come home with enough benchwork skills to set up on my own(all better in the long run for us all)

I still have unfinished business here in London,and as much as it breaks my heart when I here the exausted tone in Celts voice, I try to console myself that it will only be one more year(in term dates)and that the rewards will affect our lives in a positive nature.

Yes, I may be a bit biased, but I know in the deepest part of my soul that Celtic is an absolute wonder to behold...and we have unfinished areas of our life together...all in good time.

Poppie

"They who have never hoped, can never dispair"

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#182739 - 05/22/09 06:50 AM Re: read th8is one! Mathew 5:3 [Re: celtic_flame]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hello Ladies, I hate when I stumble on a post about the wee man and it updates me on how things are!!Celt mo amanchara, I don't recal having made a decision regaurding L and medicine...what I do remember is saying that it may be something needing looked at at some stage.
The decision to medicate L doesn't sit comfortably with me and would much prefer other methods which would assist L in moving on past some old behaviours and all the current day to day issues in need of challenging.Dots, you made a very astute observation and comment re me not seeing L for large chunks of time.
When I do, I see improvement in all areas(this can hit my denial buttons as I pray and hope that Ls' diagnosis was or is inacurate!!not helpful for Celt as she is with L 24/7)...this is directly linked to Celts skills as a Mom(and her extensive learning and succeeding some pretty darn good qualifications.

Her care of L is outstanding, how she mangages his wee life is a big credit to her and as I have said many, many times...there is not one single soul that I would put complete trust of my son..(or any other kid for that matter).

I miss the two of them so much and find myself questioning my endeavours in London(I get this in my head at least 5/6 times in a day)

Sometimes, I want to lose sight of my studies for the sake of my family(However, I want to come home with enough benchwork skills to set up on my own(all better in the long run for us all)

I still have unfinished business here in London,and as much as it breaks my heart when I hear the exausted tone in Celts voice, I try to console myself that it will only be one more year(in term dates)and that the rewards will affect our lives in a positive nature.

Yes, I may be a bit biased, but I know in the deepest part of my soul that Celtic is an absolute wonder to behold...and we have unfinished areas of our life together...all in good time.

Poppie

"They who have never hoped, can never dispair"

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved