The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17527 - 10/24/03 01:31 AM abnormal pap smears
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
For the past 5 years I have had three bad paps then a sampling with good results then a couple of normal paps then three abnormal paps, a sampling of my cervix again with normal results. I've gone two normal paps and now I have another abnormal pap.

Everybody I know has bad pap smears. What is going on here? Now My doc is recommending "the loop". Outpaitient procedure where the entire surface of the cervix is removed very shallowly and tested.

My dysplasia is mild. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 2. This procedure sounds a bit over the top but I don't want to make a wrong move either.

I have changed docs in the middle of these years and am contemplating changing again if for nothing else but another opinion. But all I seem to do is go to doctors nowadays. I know as you get older you need more maintenance but it feels like a part time job!

What has your expereince been?

#17528 - 10/24/03 01:43 AM Re: abnormal pap smears
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
That procedure sounds a bit overreactive.

I haven't had any abnormal pap smears but I go to an ob-gyn who specializes in gynecological cancers, which is a possibility for me because of my medical history.

#17529 - 10/24/03 05:19 AM Re: abnormal pap smears
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lynn,
I have never heard of "the loop" so I can't comment on that particular procedure; however, I will stress to you that if you are not comfortable with the doc's recommendation, please get a second opinion! If it were HIS body, HE would. You take care of YOU...I wouldn't hesitate changing doctors if it were me until I got a warm fuzzy from the diagnosis. Keep us informed and take care girl...

#17530 - 10/24/03 09:34 AM Re: abnormal pap smears
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I had an abnormal pap smear about 6 years ago, like yours no.2. I had diathermy treatment (not sure if that is what you dr is suggesting?) and no problems since. My dr sends my test to a different lab which he says gives more reliable results than the standard one...(!!) so maybe have another smear with a different dr and pathology unit to check the need for treatment.

#17531 - 10/24/03 02:12 PM Re: abnormal pap smears
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, I agree with the Queen. Get another opinion.

And, I'm so sorry you are going through this NOW. I think your plate is full enough with your hubby and his recovery.

You are on lmy prayer list.

By the way, I'd love to see a picture of your adopted son. [Wink]

I've decided to post a couple pictures of my family on my site. Only because I love looking at other's pictures so much. I'm a visual learner and seeing pictures helps me put it all together.

#17532 - 10/24/03 04:20 PM Re: abnormal pap smears
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I agree on the get another opinion and make sure you get "everything" checked out.

A friend of mine kept getting a series of abnormal pap smears. During a test where they were actually looking for something else (she broke her tailbone) they discovered that she had a grapefruit sized cyst on her ovary. Since cancer was prevalent in the family, she was soon in for a complete hysterectomy including removal of the cervix. The cyst turned out to be benign, fortunately.

Not relaying this story to scare/worry you, since everyone's body is different - just to caution you to trust your intuition. If something doesn't feel right, make sure you get it all checked out.....

#17533 - 10/25/03 01:48 AM Re: abnormal pap smears
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
Thanks Ladies, I will make an appointment when I return from California with a new doc. The abnormal paps are supposedly from the HBV virus which is a sexually transmitted disease that remains in your body forever and your body fights it off most of the time but sometimes your body can't. One would think if your body was under stress, it would be difficult to fight off a virus. I am leaning toward the stress factor but need to understand the HBV business further.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved