The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17483 - 08/29/03 01:27 PM Age spots?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hmmm, I am stating to notice age spots on my skin. [Eek!] What's up with that? Just another lovely reminder that age is creaping in on me? [Razz]

#17484 - 08/29/03 03:08 PM Re: Age spots?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Get in line Dotsie...it found me first. If you wait long enough, all those nasty old age spots will run together and before you know it, you got a killer tan! So cheer up...just wait until you feel your rear end hit the back of your legs when you walk. That's always a good reminder. Oh yes, and let's not forget when our legs resemble cottage cheese.... [Big Grin] Want more? Or have I cheered you up sufficiently? Glad to help... [Cool]

#17485 - 08/29/03 03:52 PM Re: Age spots?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
hmmm...killer tan, kewl - it'll be the only tan I've had in years! [Razz] I usually burn. Yup, I pointed those age spots out to doctor at my last physical -in puzzlement asking, "what's this on my skin???" she just looked at me sadly and said "I hate to tell you this - those are age spots......." Does anybody remember those TV commercials for the creams that were supposed to fade those things???? Or when they used to be called liver spots???

#17486 - 08/29/03 05:50 PM Re: Age spots?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I don't remember them, but I asked Mother and she does...okay, I'm lying...sue me.

#17487 - 09/02/03 06:06 PM Re: Age spots?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Was with my sister this weekend and she said to me... as she pointed to a spot on MY arm, "What is that? Look, I have one of those."

I laughed and replied, "Age spots girl!"

Funny because I had just posted about them that day in my forum.

This sister is only 2 1/2 years behind me so she just got her first one! Welcome to the aging process. It never seems to fail! [Razz]

#17488 - 09/02/03 06:09 PM Re: Age spots?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Jawjaw, you mentioned cottage cheese. I've been spilling that on my legs for years and keep forgetting to wipe it off! [Eek!]

#17489 - 09/03/03 06:27 AM Re: Age spots?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

One other joy you will experience (more than likely) is going from say...a 36B to a 36 LONG.

it happens...trust me

#17490 - 09/08/03 04:45 AM Re: Age spots?
boomersis Offline

Well, I got on looking for the Book Club to post about Saving Graces. Imagine my shock when I read about my age spots. I refuse to believe that they are anything but a longer lasting tan from my trip to the Ocean, Hon! And, I am not settling for the 36 long. My little sis talked me into treating myself to a bra from Victoria's Secret. That's my first stop when I have a free weekend.

#17491 - 06/10/06 06:28 PM Re: Age spots?
cara4art Offline

Loc: north-central New Mexico
You don't have to put up with "age spots" - actually I hate that term as it sounds REALLY old-ladyish, and they are more from the sun than from age. It's just that they show up when one is older. But there are women who are only in their 30's who are starting to get them from earlier years of doing the tanning bed thing, as well as too much sun.
Anyhow, a several-pronged attack can really help:
First up, if you don't do anything else, start wearing a facial sunblock if you haven't been wearing one-it will prevent the ones you have from getting worse.
Then, either you can get into a specific skincare program that will improve the appearance of them over a period of time, and/or go to the dermatologist and get them zapped(quickest, but can be expensive). A dermatologist can also prescribe products that are stronger than OTC stuff, too.
The skincare possiblities include a skin-lightener(either OTC or prescription)applied to the spots - there are quite a few serums out there - along with an OTC Vitamin C serum underneath your daily sunblock, and some form of prescription retinoid cream(either Retin-A or Renova for drier skins). A great way to jump start a comprehensive program is to either have a series of professional microdermabrasion or glycolic or enzyme peel treatments, as they will quite soon make the skin look much brighter and more even-toned. There are also home microdermabrasion and peel treatments available - not as strong as pro ones, but when used over a period of time, they can really make a big difference.
There's another program out there, Obagi(which is supervised by a dermatologist or a medical esthetician), which is pretty aggressive and not for the faint-hearted, as it makes you look noticeably worse before you look better. But people have made amazing improvements with it.
As far as that dermatologist who said "I hate to tell you..." IMO he had a really rotten way of communicating about a very common pigmentation problem, which is what it is! He could have said, "What you have here are sunspots, and here's what can be done to address them."
It used to be that there were no treatments for mature, sundamaged skin and one would just have to live with the damage, and just "age gracefully"-ugh! But, very good skincare and treatments are available to more people than just the extremely wealthy. There's alot more good stuff showing up at the drugstore level, as well as comprehensive skincare websites selling approaching professional-level products. Home microdermabrasion/peel kits can be had for between $25 and $40, which is alot cheaper than a derm trip!
Another thing is that our attitude is different from our mothers on this score as we want results, not just a nice-smelling cream in a pretty jar that basically does nothing but sit on one's skin.
For myself, I have to be careful with stepping up my skin treatments, as my skin tends to be sensitive - just one new product at a time, and watch my skin like a hawk! But whenever I'm tempted to get really tan(as I can do so very easily)I take a look at women who are older than me where it's obvious they've never taken care of their skin. Here in the Southwest, I've seen some really scary examples of sundamaged skin, even on relatively young women, who don't do anything to protect and treat their skin.
At the end of the day however, the saying "your mileage may vary" really applies here, as some cases of sunspots can be very stubborn(it depends on how extensive and darkly-pigmented they are to start with). Be patient(unless you go the "zapping" route)- a targeted skincare program can take several months to make serious inroads on this. Needless to say, a few lighter ones are easier to improve than extensive, really dark ones.

#17492 - 07/26/06 03:03 AM Re: Age spots? [Re: cara4art]
JaMaPh Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
ROFLMBO...JJ 36B to a 36LONG. oh dang..that is funny!
A gal I knew 25 yrs ago, called'em torpedo tits. LOL

oh gosh...that is just tooo funnny.

Age spots...try my Skn Savrâ„¢ salve. It fades them away with the use of herbs. I'll have ta post a pix of me on one of the days I am all dressed up and look better than when I'm not. I don't wear foundation make up, havent in years. I started using a little powder, well for 2 days, then I lost it. Powder fills in the cracks and crevices.

Man, lately I've been looking at young girls...nooo, not THAT way! lol and thought, they take for granted their beautiful taut skin. I did. I didn't take my beautiful hands for granted, but did my facial skin.

And my hands....oh my, over by the thumbs the skin is all crinkly.

JaMa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved