The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 138 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#175503 - 02/23/09 12:10 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Originally Posted By: Dotsie
I know how to swim but wish I was a better swimmer because it's such good exercise. I don't think I can swim well enough to get in the pool an dswim laps. I've tried, but after a while my neck aches so I must be doing something wrong.

is it breast strock dotsie your main style?

on the streach put your face in water and breath out, as bringing arms into side again head goes up and in breath then.

might help you neck as i know swimming head up all time would kill mine.

#175504 - 02/23/09 12:13 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: celtic_flame]
celtic_flame Offline

i done running too, sprint, mid and long distinsce lol.
for school and public (anyone can joine running clubs)then to compition for clubs and school. and i swamm for school and public sppedo club at compitision.

marial arts, kung-foo (first practical form of spiritualiety first introduction to chi and karatie.

hockie, netball for school teams (do you play netball or is that a uk thing)

sport and art saved my backon in teens as it wzs unknowen i was dislexic lol just stupid then with too much energie lol.

L showes all same traites and needs physical exercise as well...apple dose't fall far from tree lol.

now he's 5 he can start to joine in to sport clubs and learn...one trouble he hates lossing!!

hopefullie it help him learn to lose as well as learn to win and not be afraid of competting.

in uk no amount of sports gets one away with grades and thers not same sense of being a hero if you play for school teams. It just used to be seen as an embarisment (by your peers)lol rather than a good thing no matter how well you done.

#175540 - 02/23/09 05:57 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
celtic, breast stroke and free-style are the easiest, but I like free-style best.

I was a tomboy as a kid, played team sports and loved being outside. The main reason I want a sport, and waling may very well end up being it, is to spend more time outdoors.

Interesting to hear how many runners and bad knees we have here.

Humlan, how about a combination of wlaking and running?

#175549 - 02/23/09 06:30 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
celtic_flame Offline

Originally Posted By: Dotsie
celtic, breast stroke and free-style are the easiest, but I like free-style best.

perhaps your free style is our front crawel...face in water head to side, to breath.

no brest strock being the one i though might be giving you a soar neck, brest strocks like when your legs are like a frogs, just incase thir called something diffrent weer you are.

#175599 - 02/24/09 01:53 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: celtic_flame]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It has to be a group of women locally to promote the day in their area.

Could you imgaine ever a bunch of local men will promote it on their initative? And promoting it means actually having certain activities within the community. Not just a newspaper notice.

It doesn't mean the men in our lives who may support the day and all women-centred organizations are insensitive, there would be a minority of these guys.

#175600 - 02/24/09 01:54 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: celtic_flame]
orchid Offline

sorry I mistakenly posted here on something else.

Edited by orchid (02/24/09 01:55 AM)

#175752 - 02/25/09 08:38 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Hello Orchid..I have a question for you..

I have had alot of trouble with my left knee..my doctor says it´s "arthritis"..artros in Swedish. Now I have read on the net..and other sites..that bike riding is good for the knee..and that one should keep the knee joint flexible..even if it hurts..a stationary bike..the kind you have in gyms or at home is also very good..

Soo I went to our little place here where we live..they have a small gym set up there. I tried riding the stationary bike there..with 0 resistance..but I couldn´t bend my knee enough to be able to do a complete circle ..if you know what I mean? So I couldn´t cycle.. I was wondering if you have any ideas on how I could ease my body into being able to cycle indoors?

I have cycled indoors on and off in the past..when I was using a gym..but it hurts too much..but according to what I read on the net and have learned from people with arthitis..on different sites..I should keep my knee joint moving so it doesn´t become stiff..and this, despite the pain.

Gratefiul for any ideas that you might have. I was sooo disappointed today smile you know..if your have problems with your knee..well, the next thing to react is your hip..so I want to get this knee in shape! However, it is painful since I have gone back to work on Monday this week. Ugh!

#175777 - 02/25/09 11:54 PM a problem:Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: humlan]
orchid Offline

That knee...it really sounds best to have a physiotherapist recommend some exercises for it.

I'm not sure if you feel the stationary bike in the fitness centre actually fits you.

By the way, I keep on forgetting (pathetic me), that my partner does have a problem with his knees for last few years. So he dropped out from downhill skiing. That was over 20 years ago.

I think something is missing from his knee because he had minor surgery ..again before I met him. But witness, he has logged in over 110,000 kms. in past 13 years. he is a used car. LOL. So his knee doesn't bother him because he is properly fitted on bike.

But I think your problem requires some nice warm up exercises to get knee going ..

#176119 - 03/02/09 04:26 PM Re: a problem:Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
humlan, after knee surgeries, I've been in a position that I couldn't finish a full cycle on a stationary bike too. Here's what the physical therapost had me do.

You rock back and forth with the pedal as far as you can in each direction, and do it over and over again. You will eventually be able to fgo all the way around. It's important to make sure the bike size is appropriate. The seat should be in the right place for your height. IF you are having a hard time doing a full cycle, you might be able to raise the seat so the whole way around is a shorter distance. Does that make sense? If not, ask questions.

#176143 - 03/02/09 10:15 PM Re: a problem:Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When I was 18 years old a car jumped the curb and slammed into my right knee. It was badly bruised and swollen to twice its size. Once the swelling went down the therapist said to sit in a straight back kitchen chair and slowly raise my foot off the floor as high as possible. Keep that up as long as needed to be able to once again resach my chin with that knee. It took several months but I was finally able to.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved