The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#175390 - 02/22/09 01:23 AM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I know how you feel chatty. My family is like you..can't swim, several siblings have tried, but they sink because they can't relax.

I can't swim. I did take a mandatory few lessons in physical education class in public school. But I could only do the front float. Back float I hated because of sensation of water closing over my face..

However all my nieces and nephews know how to swim. Their mothers (my sisters) were each determined that each child learn to swim starting early in childhood. O

ne of my nephews competed in Canadian provincial swimming competitions and he did train seriously for about 3 years...ie. show up at pool 5:00 am and swim 40 laps in Olymic sized pool. Yes, he became very fit (meaning wiry and lean) and worked as a lifeguard for 1-2 summers. He was so much in the chlorine water, that his dark brown hair was turning very ratty and near-honey brown-blonde, despite wearing his swimming cap. His favourite competitive swim stroke was butterfly stroke.

My sister and her hubby did want find a sport for him to redirect his high energy that he loved, which in a young boy could become too easily destructive/disruptive.

The results are real..he is focused young man and calm in his self-expression. (Academically strong at university).

Without question exposing children to several different sports for them to try in a fun way, is important. If any parent questions the cost...they need to rethink: To create happy/fun memories of at least 1 sport...that in adulthood the person will return after decades of dormancy/non-practice for de-stressing and for health. It is a good legacy for a parent to help nurture.

And such is my experience with the bike. smile

#175418 - 02/22/09 05:43 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
You are so right, Orchid. I benefited from being a tennis player in school, a volleyball player and a swimmer, all varsity. It taught me SO much and I learned the lesson of staying with something and striving to be better. It teaches you to get along with others and to always do your personal best.

When I was an athlete in school, there were no academic requirements that athletes had to meet so I could take three of my six periods in P.E. instead of academic work. It is an improvement that now athletes are required to keep a grade average and to take academic classes more.

although I was an A student, it was not required of me, all I had to do was win to win approval of the whole school.

Still, I am so happy to have the experience of team sports that you play one on one as well. The mental discipline and the self confidence are things that one can keep for a lifetime.

I'm happy that this young man was benefited from sport. It can keep them straight, that's for sure, it did me.

Dancer9

"Question your privilege"

#175427 - 02/22/09 08:53 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: dancer9]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
In both gradeschool and high school I excelled in volleyball. All through highschool I was captain of the girls team and we played state wide. Loved the sport!

During gym class I always made excuses on pool days to get out of having to be in the pool. That was a big mistake I am paying for now since I wish I had learned. Too bad the dumb things we do in our youth sometimes come back to haunt us.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#175430 - 02/22/09 09:04 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know how to swim but wish I was a better swimmer because it's such good exercise. I don't think I can swim well enough to get in the pool an dswim laps. I've tried, but after a while my neck aches so I must be doing something wrong.

My daughter swam on swim teams while growing up and boy can that gal swim. Her favorite stroke was the butterfly, one I can't even do. Anyway, it's a great sport that one never outgrows. Like cycling, it's something you can do alone.

I wish I was motivated to do something athletic. Sigh. I walked for about three miles yesterday becasue it was sorta nice out, but that's about the extent of my exericse the past two months. Come on spring. I'm hoping that will get me mvoing again.

Is anyone in here a runner? Or were you a runner? I'd love to run but have bad knees.

#175453 - 02/22/09 10:11 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Not arunner, bad knees as well. Hit by a car at age 18 and right knee has never been the same. Thats why cycling and swimming are so good, no strain on the knees.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#175463 - 02/22/09 10:40 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Thank you Orchid..your information was very helpful..I mean it.

I just may give it a try..when the snow is gone. In quiet..as you suggested..doesn´t feel as hopelass as I thought..thank you. There are quite a few hardy older ladies..alot older than me biking around here in Sweden..even when its icy and cold. So..maybe not in those conditions..but yes...in the spring.

Thank you smile

#175465 - 02/22/09 10:50 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: humlan]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Dotsie..I´ve been a runner for almost half my life..but now my knees are giving me trouble..big time..so I´ve had to give that up..probably forever. I do check in on a site for runners/walkers etc etc..and they keep telling me not to give up with my knee. I may still run anyway..but I doubt it.

I loved running..I started when my daughter died..many years ago..and I loved it. I stopped now..well..a few years ago..but..it´s still there in my blood..so we´ll see. Maybe I can walk and jog someday..who knows?

But if you have bad knees..I wouldn´t suggest starting to run now..biking..carefully..can be difficult for knees too..but Orchid can probably help you there. I am just realizing that I can perhaps start riding a bike again..after all these years (got hit by a car many years ago..while bike riding with my daughter on the back in a child seat).

I think it´s kinda cute that you don´t do any "sport"..I mean..do we HAVE to, to be SOMEONE??? To ourselves or anyone else? You are just cute and thoroughly human. blush Not to mention that all that walking is actually a sport in itself!!!!

Love ya!!! grin

PS..I need more smileys or emoticons or whatever..miss the old ones.. blush

#175480 - 02/23/09 12:39 AM Wow hunlan..from Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: humlan]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: humlan
Dotsie..I´ve been a runner for almost half my life..but now my knees are giving me trouble..big time..so I´ve had to give that up..probably forever. I do check in on a site for runners/walkers etc etc..and they keep telling me not to give up with my knee. I may still run anyway..but I doubt it.

I loved running..I started when my daughter died..many years ago..and I loved it. I stopped now..well..a few years ago..but..it´s still there in my blood..so we´ll see. Maybe I can walk and jog someday..who knows?

I think it´s kinda cute that you don´t do any "sport"..I mean..do we HAVE to, to be SOMEONE??? To ourselves or anyone else? You are just cute and thoroughly human. blush Not to mention that all that walking is actually a sport in itself!!!!

Agree that walking is most definitely a sport.

Wow, humlan you never mentioned your running history. I tried jogging as a teenager for 1 summer. At that time I hated it.

Not sure if I jog now. Who knows. I'm just happy on the bike and when I'm off bike, walking/hiking around. We do live at the foot of multi-purpose flat path that winds over 20 kms. through the downtown area..one goes past waterfront marinas, see mountains in distance, several bridges..and yes, you can also jog/bike through the 2010 winter Olympics athlete's village right now. There's a andonized steel walking bridge there in the shape of abstract-like kayak! You will probably see it on tv..unless I provide a link.

So there are alot of joggers, cyclists and walkers right in downtown VAncouver, as soon as I step out the front door. It's quite unavoidable and that activity can be quite motivating/inspiring to see.

Cycling and knees....bike fit is important here, plus saddle height. Most joggers with damaged knees...actually switch to cycling to keep up their cardiovascular fitness. And of course. I met a Canadian past-Olympic gymnast, who actually switched to cycling to keep fit, instead of jogging and other stuff.

Maybe there's something for aquabatics, Dotsie? I knew a woman from previous workplace over 60, who had some significant back problems. (they were recommending orthopedic surgery, which she felt was a drastic measure.) So she took aquabatics, did some specialized exercises in water upon recommendation of physical therapist. And on top of that she bought a folding bike and biked to work ..only 6 mile round trip. But nevertheless, it was an impressive recovery which took several months for her.

She also has 4 grown adult children. In her teen years, she was involved in gymnastics. It is never to late, like cyclinggal said. And no, one does not have to practice any sport to be anything. But aren't we as boomers, more viewing sport within the context of our own future quality of health and life? I wanna to reduce pain of aging when I get frail. And the best way, I can see..to do enjoyable exercise now.

I was your geek girl in public and high school. Not particularily coordinated. Sports was never my thing. However I do have fond memories of addictive playing of softball games with other girls...on a cement diamond. (No grass on our playground) for 2 years. Then I didn't play any of it thereafter. And I played best and least self-consciously when I was in all-girl teams/games, not co-ed teams. I did try out for field hockey in lst year of high school, but didn't make the team. When I was a teenager I was an enthuastic TV hockey game viewer, like many Canadian children were in 1970's to 1980's, when some hockey players from Canada were international hockey stars in the National Hockey League.

ANd throughout all of this, ages 11-19 yr. I would ride the single speed bike shared with 2 other sisters. I only rode about 2-3 miles each time.

So no great history of physical activity in past. I have met many women who became regular cyclists in mid-life after being geek-girls like myself.

Above all, find sports that also jive with your personality profile so that you stick to it. Team sports is not my thing since I find "confined" and less flexible to meet my personal schedule. However cycling can be group oriented, if one is lucky to find some cycling pals. I'd rather practice a sport where I don't constantly need the presence of other people, to stick with it. Otherwise, it's not going to help myself, in the long run.

This is also why fitness classes of anything have only worked for me for a short, defined time period. I just like to take whatever I learn from the course...and modify it for my own purposes on my own in the future.

#175482 - 02/23/09 01:00 AM intersections-Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Another side powerful draw of cycling for me..is not just a cheaper and closer-to-the-ground of travelling out of town and seeing different parts of Canada and U.S.

...but also cycling attracts and nurtures the creative imagination of some cyclists...there is a whole subculture of creative, artsy cyclists who use the bike as a takeoff for their artwork, jewellery and some wierd radical custom-made bike designs..ie. I love this wacky side of cycling world ..not the hardcore racing side..which I only occasionally stop to watch the racers. There is also another side of cycling which is the advocacy side, alternative living/transportation which is the political side of cycling and transportation planning

So for me cycling is intersection of: fun, health, fitness, art and political advocacy. It is wonderful to be part of cyclcing community that offers the bike from so many different angles and draws people who get involved with bikes from different perspectives.

#175502 - 02/23/09 12:06 PM Re: Orchid, I need a "starter bike." [Re: orchid]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
Originally Posted By: orchid

I can't swim. I did take a mandatory few lessons in physical education class in public school. But I could only do the front float. Back float I hated because of sensation of water closing over my face..

my L hates water or spashin on his face, so he can't swim but snorkels, since last summer lol. he dose use flots and will do untill he can swim properlay.....
orchid if on your back you tilt your head upwards or curl towards your chin a bit water goes around your head and not over your face, its teachnike.

My sister and her hubby did want find a sport for him to redirect his high energy that he loved, which in a young boy could become too easily destructive/disruptive.

The results are real..he is focused young man and calm in his self-expression. (Academically strong at university).

i was that type of child too orchid .

if sports are posible for a kid it recomend they do something. even if never to compeat just for enjoyment.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved