The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#217563 - 07/17/12 10:59 PM Re: Body image [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Eagle Heart,

Thanks for your observations. I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with diabetes. I'm not sure what the name you gave it means, but I am guessing that you are talking about some permutation of Type 2 diabetes.

I recall how I felt when I was diagnosed with Type 2 -- not sure exactly when that was, but it's within the past 10 years.

I was totally blindsided by the diagnosis, no one in my family has it, so I never expected it to be something I had to be concerned with. The diagnosis came about a week before we we leaving on a cruise, and my first inclination was that I had absolutely no idea what I'd be able to eat during the trip.

The dietician I had called to make an appointment for counseling told me to simply go on the trip and eat whatever I felt like -- that waiting 2 weeks for us to meet would ahve no impact on me, long term.

I ran into someone on the ship who ate at our table, who had been diagnosed within the past year, and he really helped me to calm down about the whole thing.

And, thankfully, my situation is pretty mild, so I don't have to count every carb anymore. I've got my eating system down, it works, and my fasting blood sugar number is generally no higher than 102 these days. When I go quarterly for a diabetes consult with my doctor, which I do quarterly, my A1C numbers are always very low, and my doctor tells me she wishes all her diabetic patients could manage as well as I do.

So good luck to you, and hopefully you will also sail through this disease with ease, once you get the diet stuff worked out.

Of course, Type 2 diabetes is considered almost epidemic right now, and I just read an interesting article that suggests products which contain a substance known as phthalates -- something found in nail polish and body lotions -- may also be causing diabetes. Weird I know, but here's the article.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217566 - 07/18/12 01:45 AM Re: Body image [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Anne, I've been discovering the same sort of thing as you did, re what your dietician told you before the cruise.

I'm very low-end Type 2...my sugar level was 7.1 with 7.0 being the magic line in the sand, so to speak. The first week that I started monitoring my glucose gave me a good idea of what my body was and wasn't handling. Pasta spikes my glucose level like crazy, as does bread to a slightly lesser degree. Walking drops it dramatically. So it would seem that less carbs and more exercise is going to be the best regime for me.

It wasn't a surprise...both my Dad and Mom were Type 2 (Dad had to take insulin shots), and 2 of my brothers as well. So it runs in the family.

That was an interesting article about phthalates...I'm going to read more on the subject. It's very scary to find out how so many of the substances that surround us can be so dangerous to our health!

(Maya Angelou)

#217568 - 07/18/12 04:02 AM Re: Body image [Re: Eagle Heart]
Boomer in Chief

You're right, Eagle Heart, that something as simple as walking can make a huge difference. Glad you found the article interesting. I did too. Actually, I found it amazing...and worrisome. Wonder what other environmental aspects we need to learn about and avoid? (Not just as diabetics, but for our health in general.)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217573 - 07/18/12 11:33 AM Re: Body image [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Hey Anne, maybe think of some simple bicycling (earlier in the morning when not so hot) to help keep the diabetes 2 at bay, plus diet.

#217575 - 07/18/12 05:24 PM Re: Body image [Re: orchid]
Boomer in Chief

Good idea, Orchid. First step will be to get new tires for my bike.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217577 - 07/18/12 06:52 PM Re: Body image [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, dear, I'm sorry Judym went away because she brought up a very important topic. I was out of town for a few days and didn't get to come back with an observation, for what it's worth:

I would never suggest that anyone who has had a lifelong struggle with anything would be able to read a few articles and 'get over it.' But we all have to continue to reassess ourselves in terms of life goals, family, and personal satisfaction. My big point is this: sometimes what we consider to be perfection isn't. Sometimes, it's internalizing a list of 'shoulds' and 'be a good girl' kind of stuff that is very insidious and destructive to the human spirit.

My personal stuff is that, when I see a picture of myself, I wonder who that old bat is. Surely that cannot be me! I'm active and busy and fairly fun; doesn't that mean I should look younger? (Well, no, but it seems unfair.)

#217579 - 07/19/12 01:16 PM Re: Body image [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
When I think how old I truly am, it blows me away! I feel like
the mid-twenties. So someone must've given me the wrong date of birth somewhere along the line!!! LOL...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved