The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 129 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#182546 - 05/19/09 05:43 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Edelweiss3]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Yes, same here, Mom does not know if she's hungry or hot. Her long term memory is gone too. She says she is sad all the time. And she says she's ready to go...
Today the author of "Eat This, Not That" claimed that there are studies that coffee may slow the onset of dementia and Alzheimer's. I am mad about those so-called studies and claims. It's glib, it's flip, it's wrong, and surely someone who says those claims does not have a person with Alzheimer's dementia around.

#182573 - 05/20/09 01:06 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I would have never believed what dementa can do to a person if I hadn't experienced it for myself when my sister, who lived with me, was overcome with this dibilating condition. So sad!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#182603 - 05/20/09 04:32 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

chatty, i'm so glad for your sister that she had you to take care of her! We should all be so lucky to have TLC while experiencing terminal illness and/or dementia.

#182640 - 05/21/09 12:21 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

I can't and won't take care of my step-father. When he and I were alone in the kitchen, he said aloud, "Who will take care of me when I'm old?" and I could not did not say a word. Wouldn't it be an instinctual reaction to say to your step-f of 50 years, "Oh, don't worry dad, I'll take care of you." He's already 76. I gave him all that I had in my lifetime, and I am just getting myself back. Got nothing left for him. I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way about a parent, or parental figure?

#182649 - 05/21/09 03:34 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
You underwent alot when you were younger, Lynn..with various family members. No one is asking you to be a saint.

I find it remarkable of your reconciliation with your brother.

My partner really didn't feel much super grief for death of his stepfather whom he felt didn't treat his mother well...especially during drunken times. His mother was a lovely person but didn't stand up to her own husband.

He died over 10 years ago.

#182702 - 05/21/09 07:12 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Yes, Orchid, it is remarkable in terms of my brother and I. A reconnection is rare indeed. I'll probably feel like your partner when my step-f dies, not much grief. I've already grieved the loss of my mother. You know, with Alzheimer's, people have to grieve the loss of the person with the Alzheimer's long before the body has died. Thanks for the feedback.

#188345 - 08/15/09 09:16 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hello BWS friends, well, it's time for hospice. My mother's condition(s) are progressed enough that the social workers and DRs say, that's all we can do, it's time to make her comfortable. No more tests, because there's no more treatments. Ugh. We don't like medical tests, but when DRs say there is no point in an MRI, or a CT scan, or another evaluation, wow, that's a scary situation. So I'll be working with my step-father to arrange for the hospice for Mom. I'm all for hospice but of course sad for the need. Thanks to the internet, I can do a lot of the homework on line. So, if you don't see me for a while, this is why. I'm sorry I can't keep up with some of the lives I was following, like Danita and Poppy, and ALL of you, but I will be back ASAP. Love and Light, Lynn

#188348 - 08/15/09 09:28 PM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, I remember the day the hospice nurse came to the house and Mom decided it was time to say "no" to more medical treatment. It hit all of us hard because that's when we realized the end was near.

Please know that it's a mixed blessing because you now have her end time to affirm her life and help her prepare to leave all her loved ones. There are reasons for all these stages even though they seem brutal at times.

I'm sure you'll do what's best. Remember to take time for yourself.

Great book:

Final Gifts. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Gifts-Unders...1666&sr=8-1

#188360 - 08/16/09 01:49 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
(((HUG))) Lynn. Been where you are. It's so hard to watch them go. frown

#188362 - 08/16/09 02:09 AM Re: What an ordeal [Re: Princess Lenora]
KathyC Offline

Loc: North of Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Princess Lenora
I can't and won't take care of my step-father. When he and I were alone in the kitchen, he said aloud, "Who will take care of me when I'm old?" and I could not did not say a word. Wouldn't it be an instinctual reaction to say to your step-f of 50 years, "Oh, don't worry dad, I'll take care of you." He's already 76. I gave him all that I had in my lifetime, and I am just getting myself back. Got nothing left for him. I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way about a parent, or parental figure?

My step-mom will be taken care of by her boys (my step-brothers). I did my time taking care of my mother. My step-mom and her oldest son (50ish) took care of my dad the last few months of his life. I just can not see taking care of another parent. The time I took care of my mom was far too stressful.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved