The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#17007 - 10/30/05 06:28 PM Gym Pals & Gym woes
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
I belong to a gym (part of a national chain) that I love. Since I'm don't work, and I actually like to exercise (yea I do!! [Big Grin] ) I'm there 5 or 6 mornings a week most of the time. Naturally I've made friends there, and look forward to seeing them and it sure helps get thru the classes the I do, to have a gym buddy next to me.

Anyway......I ran into a gal I used to work out with at a previous gym I belonged to. Hadn't seen her in about 4 years. She said she quit the gym we used to belong to together about 4 years ago (not too long after I left it to join a different gym) and has been working out at home but is ready to join a gym again. I had a free 7-day pass for my gym that I gladly gave to her.

She came and took 3 classes, but because the gym wouldn't give her the deal that she wanted as far as price for enrollment and monthly fees, she told me that as much as she enjoyed the classes and realized how much she missed group exercise, there's no way she'd join this particular gym now since she feels like they're giving her the runaround (I don't really see it that way......they gave her 2 different options and she didn't like either of them, she wanted a combination of the two and they wouldn't do it. But one of the options was a good deal financially compared to other gyms in town......and where I live there's a gym on every corner just about).

Anyway all that happened last week. Yesterday I went to the gym and they had big signs out that they are having specials for new members, $100 off, blah blah blah. Debated whether I should give this gal a call.......or let it go. She was being really hardheaded and stubborn with the managers of my gym, and I can't decide if I should let her know about the new specials they're offering, or forget it. I guess there's a part of me that's afraid if I tell her about it she's going to tell me again that she wouldn't join there if I paid her (and hey! that's MY gym and I like the place and I did her a favor by giving her the pass in the first place!) which I know I shouldn't take personally. Or I'm afraid that she'll come and check it out to find out that what they're offering is no better that what they've already offered her and I'll have to listen to that all over again. On the other hand I think if I were a good friend I'd just tell her about it and let her take it from there.

Any opinions?? [Confused]

Thanks!

[ October 30, 2005, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: CrosstitchQueen ]

#17008 - 10/30/05 06:32 PM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I don't think it would hurt to tell her. Her reaction is up to her. At least you tried.

#17009 - 10/30/05 06:40 PM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Sounds like she might be wanting something for nothing...but,
I would tell her about it.
It's still her choice.

#17010 - 10/30/05 06:49 PM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I would tell her and expect the worst and be pleased with the best. From what you have indicated she seems to be "serially discontent" and dissatisfied. She needs something you can't give her.

Do you really want that type of energy/emotion in your life? Because of your history, she may want to just partner up with you again - and are you really wanting that?

One of the greatest liberties we have under God is the pursuit of happiness - which includes the ability to be able to pick those people that make us FEEL good and are good to be around.

However, only you know her - was she negative before or do you think she is in a "slump" right now and just needs some encouragement?

In order to really get the best out of your exercise (remember this is for you, too) your gym buddy has to be able to motivate and inspire you by sharing similiar interests, feelings and emotions and not be a drag in your sails.

#17011 - 10/31/05 01:14 AM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
travelchick Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I'd tell her, but don't expect to get a miracle. I've found that with Weight Watchers and the gym the only one who really matters in all of this is yourself--I don't have a Weight Watchers buddy any more, I found that I relied too much on her to inspire me to go, and when she didn't, I got mad at her (and myself too for not going for me). Since I've gone the solo route, now the only person to blame if I don't go or don't do well is the one who is really responsible.

Might be better off in the long run to enjoy the people who attend the classes all the time and make new friends there!

#17012 - 10/31/05 04:30 AM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well if it were me I'd take a pass on this woman. She sounds like a cronic complainer and why let someone like that bring you and others down, or try to. Move on, if she were interested in the gym she would find her own deals.

#17013 - 10/31/05 07:15 AM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello. I agree with Chatty. I guess I was waiting for Chatty to put it into words I couldn't come up with. When I first read your post, Stitch, I thought that you don't owe her anything. It sounds like you have gotten along quite well without her, and you don't need to feel obligated. Good luck.

#17014 - 10/31/05 05:04 PM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
CrosstitchQueen Offline

After reading what you all have said, and doing some more thinking about it, I decided not to call her and just to forget it.......you're right, I don't need to feel obligated -- I don't need her negative attitude.

Thanks for the words of wisdom ladies!!

#17015 - 01/03/06 08:54 AM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
tourmaline Offline

I think that's probably wise. Some people really do get a charge out of negotiating a good deal, but others are just chronic pains in the boo-tay. Obviously you really like the people who work at your gym, and you'd feel just awful if this woman did join on your recommendation and then turned out to be someone everyone wanted to 'brain' with a dumbbell! Been there...

#17016 - 01/04/06 06:27 PM Re: Gym Pals & Gym woes
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Thought I'd post a follow-up ........I never did call this gal (and I haven't heard from her, even though she told me she treats herself to coffee at Panera Bread often and said she'd call me so I could join her there now and then, but that's ok).
My gym ran several specials over the holidays (as most of them do since so many people get gung-ho about losing wieght and exercising at the beginning of the year......New Year's resolutions and all that) but I think in her stubborn mind-set she decided she would NEVER join this particular gym and that is fine by me! I've been going there a long time and plan on continuing my membership there for a long time and I don't need the hassle of somebody that I referred to becoming a member being known as a pain in the you-know-what by all the employees......and I truly do feel that it's her loss, she's missing out, but that is her choice. I figure maybe she hasn't called me because she thinks I'm going to try to push her to get a membership and if she doesn't know me better than that, so be it. I'm sure I'll run into her again someday and won't be surprised to find out that she ended up not joining any gym because nobody would give her the deal she wanted!!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved