The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#162249 - 10/09/08 06:42 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Mountain Ash]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
Getting back to coupons, and I hope I don't repeat something someone else suggested (my eyeballs sort of got glazed over reading...tired I guess)....but here's a good site that emails you coupons based on your selections:

www.smartsource.com

#162374 - 10/10/08 10:51 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: keyholes]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
So the trickle down affect has begun, at least for my business. As I mentioned in the beginning, some clients have cancelled web re-design work. Now, one of my long-time clients who has always paid very promptly, is now running behind . . . which makes me run behind. I talked to the office manager today, and she said they are having a hard time collecting their accounts, so makes it hard to pay the bills.

Wow, here we go...

K

#162396 - 10/11/08 07:43 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Last week I went up and down the farmers' market with my jewelry to find more people to trade with. Regularly I'm trading with 1 fruit vendor and 1 vendor for soap and body products. Last week I added 2 vegetable vendors, flowers, and goat cheese. 5 small tubs of goat cheese for a really nice pair of earrings. 8 lb. long-neck orange squash, 3 lbs. zucchini, 5 purple bell peppers, daikon radish, cucumbers, 3 lbs. organic tomatoes, 2 lbs. grapes, 2 bags of bagels, fresh basil and chives -- all gotten in trade. I could hardly fit it in my refrigerator!

All great quality and mostly organic. Maybe 2/3 of this week's food traded for. I combine the veggies with rice or pasta and tofu/veggie meat for dinner every night. Different spice palate and presentation to vary it up.

So I'm eating very well and several of the farmers have new earrings! laugh

Poet and essayist

#162907 - 10/16/08 05:57 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I've heard story after story of how my maternal granddad bartered his services (chiropractic). My grandmother gardened, had chickens and cows, so didn't need many goods. But, for his bone-cracking services, my granddad would take any goods, alive or otherwise.

More bartering will probably take place if things get worse. Craigslist has a barter section (under 'For Sale'). I belonged to another bartering site in the late 90s. It no longer exists, but I'm pretty sure there are others that have popped up.

#163132 - 10/18/08 06:59 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: gims]
keyholes Offline

Loc: Ohio the heart of it all
There is an active bartering Yahoo group list here in the Ohio region called Cheapcycle. I monitor it from time to time to see if there is anything inexpensive or worthwhile. There is always freecycle.org and OhioSideJobs here too. They are really active lists and they seem to get more active as this economy gets worse. With the side jobs list, folks can barter their services for trade or cash.

#163192 - 10/19/08 01:39 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: keyholes]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio

Edited by DJ (10/20/08 11:55 AM)

#163200 - 10/19/08 03:47 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: DJ]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
DH is already getting a big garden ready for next year. He says that in a crisis such as the current one, a household is richer if it has lots of cow manure!

We are also consolidating trips, taking fewer to town etc. Of course the unplugging of appliances etc. The goats are helping to eat weeds so we don't have to mow so much.

Keeping our soap prices lower than competitor's prices so as not to "gauge" customers...but to pass on the savings.

Eating what is on sale rather than buying what we are used to buying at the grocery store.

#163246 - 10/19/08 11:28 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Of late I have discovered just how much can be saved every month by being concsiencious. It boggles the mind how much is actually wasted.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163261 - 10/20/08 02:58 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Just to give folks an idea how much I spend on transportation annually since we don't have a car: Under $2,600.00CAN.

This excludes any airfare. (Of course I have flown (twice) this year....for job interviews but recruiting employer paid the bill.) Does includes bus trips, several ocean ferry rides for vacation trips this year. Of course, includes cost of my local commuter train and bus passes for work commuting PLUS bike shop work on bike tire flats and mechanical adjustments. smile

We haven't rented a car this year for a vacation yet . Last year we did rent a car for about 3 days for all of 2007 and only for a vacation trip.

#163265 - 10/20/08 04:09 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: orchid]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Orchid, what type of work do you do? You may have mentioned it before, but I don't recall.

I've told my husband that my ideal retirement place is one where I can walk and use public transportation, then rent a car or fly somewhere for longer trips. The amount of money for a car, gas, and upkeep is ridiculous.

Living in Southern California, we do not have any public transportation in our area. There is a bus that comes to a small town about 8 miles away, but it has a very limited schedule.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved