The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#161801 - 10/05/08 08:41 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Mountain Ash Offline

My childhood in 1950's here in the UK was so near the end of WW2 was that we lived in times when make do and mend.We children knew no different.Rationing was phased out gradually

We were aweare of treats...having biscuits cake and sweets only rarely.Simple nourishing foods were what everyone I knew ate.

I see a return to a similar way of life on the horizon.

Lentils here have tripled in cost..just as an example.
Its mostly the price to heat homes that will cause hardship.So as winter approaches I know that this will mean for many being cold.

I have a good background in home economics taught early in school to a high level and seeing the older women in my family
manage and can plan meals accordingly.
But many have never had this chance and the in long run health for some may be compromised.
So the out come I suspect of financial hardship will have long reaching effects.
In our area schoolchildren age up to 8 are now to get free school lunches.
Maybe volunteeers can start "Thrift Cafes" for other sectors in the community.
The homeless teenages have this at the YMCA and our church man the kitchen along with others groups.
Worked in with cooking lessons would be a good project.
But alas the mind set of many would believe it to be like the soup kitchens during the 1926 depression.
yet during Lent we had Lent lunches.Eating together ..soup and a filled bread roll..giving the cost of a "normal" meal to the church.Instead of this being a token sharing for a short time only perhaps there is a communal way forward.
I would give of my time and goods to help my community.
Mountain ash

#161808 - 10/05/08 11:02 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: jawjaw]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I use coupons all the time. Can't remember a time when I haven't.... Clip, clip, clip!

#161809 - 10/05/08 11:13 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cookie, if you ever find any online that you would like to share, please do! I would love to have some new ones. Thanks!

#161810 - 10/05/08 11:47 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: jawjaw]
Cookie Offline

#161811 - 10/05/08 12:29 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Very cool, thank you!

#161825 - 10/05/08 05:05 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: jawjaw]
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
MA, my step father is British, although 2 decades older. He had perfect teeth, no cavities no rot. He attributes that to the rationing of sugar, as he never had any until he came to US in 1950s. Our taste buds recognize salt and sweet, so how does a child develop a sweet tooth when deprived of sweets. I hear that fruit was a delicacy, no fruit no sweet juices. I imagine that oranges, lemons, limes must be imported. He told me that "Yorkshire pudding" was developed from lard and flour and drippings as a filler for empty tummies.

#161833 - 10/05/08 06:34 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: Mountain Ash
My childhood in 1950's ...we lived in times when make do and mend.....
I see a return to a similar way of life on the horizon. ....
I have a good background in home economics taught early in school to a high level and seeing the older women in my family
manage and can plan meals accordingly.
But many have never had this chance ....
But alas the mind set of many would believe it to be like the soup kitchens during the 1926 depression. ....

If nothing else, I hope we do get back to a 'make and mend' mindset, one that will carry over after any hardships we might suffer due to the current economy. We have taken for granted what we have been blessed with - monetary and otherwise. I count our generation fortunate to have lived in times when it seemed important to teach the home economics and when we watched our elders manage, as MA referred to... and I agree with her, in generations after ours, "many have never had this chance"... instead they have been swept up in the societal norm of 'give me, must have,' so much so that they have cemented and protracted an entitlement mindset. "But alas the mind set of many would believe it to be like the soup kitchens during the 1926 depression"... Instead of subscribing to the belief that it will be like the 'soup kitchen' scene of the (US) 1929-1931 depression, those of us who are willing should promote the belief that this is a good teaching opportunity, a time, for those who know, to resurrect the true fundamentals of life - community, respect for nature and its resources, resourcefulness, enjoying the basics, etc.

this are my opinions...

#161841 - 10/05/08 07:39 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

The Coalminers Strike her 1983/4 in UK lasted for a year.Dreadful time..
There were meals for family/strikers locally.We took produce our own tomatoes tins bought with our shoping all that time to be used for the miners/families.
It was simply sharing of what we had.

I do not subscibe in any way to a belief that kitchens would be wrong.Indeed I would do what I could to assist my community
Mountain ash

#161845 - 10/05/08 08:11 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Mountain Ash]
gims Offline

MA, I agree with you that soup kitchens would not be wrong. In no way would they be wrong. What I fear is that many would subscribe to the soup kitchen mentality, not working to make things better, i.e. planting a garden, not wasting, etc., simply to stand in a line as their only option to survival.

Of course, it's more complicated than that - thoughts are a skimpy outline, for sure.

Another coupon site: clipngocoupons

crusade_against_credit

Edited by gims (10/05/08 11:04 PM)

#161846 - 10/05/08 08:12 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: gims]
gims Offline

Saw the 'we can edit' post, so came back and combined posts and tried to delete this one (after adding comment to above)... FYI - deleting post is not executable, at least not for me.

Edited by gims (10/05/08 09:46 PM)
Edit Reason: combined with prior post, exp.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved