The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 197 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#161698 - 10/03/08 09:06 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Edelweiss2]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I will say 'thank you' Edelweiss for MA and myself if she doesn't mind, for your kind words.

I am not a rich woman by any means and don't do that much, maybe some small things to try to add to peoples happiness, but if I could I would do so much more. It makes me feel good to do whatever I can.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#161700 - 10/03/08 11:44 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I'm changing brands to accomodate the grocer price increases. Line drying clothes to accomodate the 20% utility increase.

At work, we will not receive any 401K contributions nor Christmas bonuses. I count on the bonus to not only pay for Christmas, but pet vaccinations, yearly termite contract, and vehicle taxes. This year I will not purchase office gifts and for the family purchase that which they need, not what they want. For instance, gift cards or educational items for nieces.

Also, at work they've let 9 people go - 7 in our coastal office and 2 in the upper state. Yet, the attorneys continue to spend at least $2K a week in entertainment - money that could go towards 401Ks and bonus. The attorneys will receive 401K contributions. Not the staff and we out number them.

I sure do hope that this 'bailout plan' and after the elections that the economy turns for the better for the long term. I hope folks wakeup and realize how to live with less and spend more time with their families and communities - unite!

#161707 - 10/04/08 10:35 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: ]
Mountain Ash Offline

Its when global issues arise that prioriting works.
Gifts are often a habit..friends who have plenty
giving friends who have as much.
so when the utilities rise and food must be seen to first choice.
also maintaining a property.
I send cards at Christmas a way of keeping in touch with people through the years.Wont stop that.I shall buy vouchers for the children we care about so they may be steered towards things that before they may have avoided...clothing not toys..but their parents will guide that.My older friends...nice luxury foods they may never be able to buy now heating a home is so expensive here.Not great quantities just best quality.
I believe we need a cushion in life.Think poor..act poor.not a mind set for the older folks who worked for this country.
Another decision I have made is to have the one special meal on Christmas day .Plan to have sufficant.no leftovers.
Then for the other days after be back to normal.Usual meals.
Here the supermarkets are so busy prior to Christmas as if a collective storing is happening.And food will be wasted.
BUCKLE OUR BELTS comes to mind.

#161708 - 10/04/08 11:18 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I go HERE to get coupons for Betty Crocker products and other places, too. If I save 3.00, on my grocery bill, wuhoo! Sometimes it's 10.00, sometimes, it's .50 cents...whatever.

Anybody else look for coupons?

Also, no store bought Christmas decorations for me this year. I've been saving old light bulbs and me and the grandbeauties are making Santas out of them. I'm looking for other craft ideas too if anyone has a suggestion. I know it doesn't go in this section, so I guess I should move the request to the craft section. Sorry...but I wanted to show ways I'm economizing.

#161746 - 10/04/08 05:53 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JJ, I get a wholesale crafts catalog in the mail with all sorts of craft projects you can make, and the prices for the material they supply is sooooo cheap anyone can afford them.

As soon as I get a new one, I'll drop it in the mail to you and then post the info under 'crafts' for anyone else interested in making cool stuff while saving a bundle of dough.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#161757 - 10/04/08 07:13 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
JJ, I always used food coupons all the time, but have gotten out of the habit. These past few weeks, I've started collecting them again. I forgot what a kick I got out of saving bucks. I'm also trying to use less electricity. It's easier now that the kids are no longer living here.

My son works for what was, only one year ago, one of the best places to work in Baltimore City - Constellation Energy. Within one year, it's going down the tubes. Warren Buffet just bought it two weeks ago. The stock dropped severely. My son and his department were told they won't be getting the bonuses based on prior percentages. They've fired many contractual employees, and God only knows the future of his job. This is very frightening, especially for the older people who have been employed there for a much longer period of time. People are getting scared.

I'm also concerned for all the small businesses that are crumbling. There's not a soul to bail them out.

#161792 - 10/05/08 03:18 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
In answer to the question of this topic, we did something unexpected. I quit real estate because it cost too much for me to stay in business. It is cheaper for me to stay at home. In the real estate office there is a top producer of 30 years. He's had lots of awards and accolades and realtor of the year events. His assistant keeps him strong. What with the heavy use of technology, I don't know where he'd be without her. She's a wonderful young woman. She had a 2 year old son. She is 31. Her high school "sweetheart" was her boyfriend. When she got pregnant 1) he got more violent 2) he decided he did not want to raise a kid after all. Meanwhile, top producer cuts her hours from 8-5 plus OT (he bought her a laptop so she could work from home) to 8-2 (5) days per week. He's making half of what he made last year, and half of what he made the year before. To make up the difference in pay she took a receptionist job on Sundays. Her studio apartment rent was going up, gas to get to work, day care, doctors, etc are rising, and through no fault of her own she was being squeezed out financially. I think she really had no where to turn, no where to go. So we cleared out our finished basement, and we are renting it to her for cheap. It gives her security and it gives us extra money per month. We all had some adjusting to do, but this is going to be just fine for a year or so. I love the way the universe puts people in need in touch with each other. Dotsie, that's true, who is going to bail out the small business? The broker I was working for has done everything he can to keep his doors open. God bless those who don't have to think of these financial ramifications day in and day out. I may be wrong, but I don't think those who have money have a clue as to how hard it is to make ends meet. I don't think most understand the urgency.

#161794 - 10/05/08 03:20 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well Dotsie hope your son is looking abit ahead in the horizon...he's young enough to try other things if present place doesn't stablize.

Recently I was interviewed by a large financial institution with international operations, for a job. I can only dryily think that at least, I feel complimented they even bothered to interview me..in light of this roiliing financial market. Anyway there a ton of other well-qualified candidates.

I don't use coupons simply because this takes time to read advertisements after I get home late from work and we're getting tired of receiving so much advertising stuff in our mailbox.

My spending habits have been reasonable for past few years. I will still send out CHristmas cards to family and few close friends. For family it's an excuse for me to also send small gifts/1-2 photos. Some of my family members still like gazing at real photos.

#161795 - 10/05/08 03:23 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
That's great Leonara! The woman will be grateful for this helping hand...a new world for you. WHich direction are you leaning on from switching out of real estate now?

#161796 - 10/05/08 03:39 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Orchid, I thought to respond to your post about your commute during winter freezing weather. You are very sturdy to walk in that kind of weather. But I guess you have no choice. Got to get to work. I'm glad that this year I will be able to sit on my butt and not go out and about showing houses in blizzards. Which direction am I going in? Thanks for asking. I have a rough draft of a book about my cancer experience. I've been avoiding the book for years. I don't like revisiting that time, but I know I must get to it. I'm thinking of titles as I work on the rough draft. I am also stepping up the work I do in regards to my book Beyond the Tears, and the Project for TEARS. I am being asked to mentor others who want to write about recovery from abuse. I don't know if I want to do that intensive work for no compensation, so I am thinking about what it is to be a "writing coach" for a set fee. I am developing more skills on the computer, including picture making. And, I wil start painting again. You know how relaxing that can be. Mostly, I want to be a recluse. I do like having my "housemate" and her little boy and little dog. My husband is very accomodating, too, and asked her to eat with us tonight. He cooked. Pesto over pasta. Nothing from a jar! L

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved