The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#161548 - 10/02/08 02:37 PM Current economy affecting you?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
So how is the state of our current economy directly affecting you? Just this week, it has hit me hard.

I am a website designer and do a lot of redesigns for clients. One client I've worked with for 11 years had scheduled a re-design of their site, but just yesterday said the money is not in the budget this year. They are a manufacturer and their sales have become quite flat.

Another client (Custom cabinet maker) that I did a tiny website for last year wanted a redesign and larger site this year. Also found out yesterday that they had to lay off 30 people and now will be postponing that redesign of their website.

This will greatly reduce my expected income for the rest of 2008, and will trickle down to all the restaurants I won't be visiting, the clothes I won't be buying, etc.

How has the current economy affected you?

Kathy

#161561 - 10/02/08 03:13 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
It has made me fully aware of my indulgences and overspending and helped me to get back in line with my budgets.

I has helped me to find new ways to "cut back" where needed or necessary (see sentence above) and helped me to stretch my imagination in finding ways to be more frugal, or self-sufficient.

It has helped me to take that first step in learning how to grow herbs at home.

It has helped me to learn how to divide my already mature plants, replant them in pretty pots that I've painted and give them as gifts, instead of running to Wally World.

It has helped me to think more "homemade" this year for Christmas, again...stretching the imagination and wanting to try new things. Anybody every made the Santas out of old lightbulbs? I've saved a bunch of them and can't wait to try it! It's a keepsake that I'll share with my grandchildren, building them together! Wuhoo!

So for me, it's been altering. It's opened my eyes to many other possibilities.

#161598 - 10/02/08 07:21 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: jawjaw]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It has made me sit on my butt and just stick to safe financial instruments.

#161608 - 10/02/08 08:02 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: ]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Anne, if you don't have enough money for food, then there is help out there for you. No one should go hungry. Not in the United States. Please, inquire about help.

#161626 - 10/03/08 12:47 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Edelweiss2]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Anne, your post scared me. Do please look for help. It's so wrong for anyone to go hungry in this country!

The financial situation has not affected me as I can see...

Then again, I'm not a person who actively manages my money. The money I do use has not changed though. I seem to need roughly the same money I have per month.

I can't drive anymore due to medication, so the gas prices have not affected me. I bike or my husband drives.

I don't have a job to loose, although I am teaching some dance these days, and those students hold fast.

I also try not to take up too much space, meaning I don't live in a big home and I don't really even buy things like jewelry and such. I am happy with decent clothing, books to read and enough money with which to help my son in school.

Dancer

Edited by dancer9 (10/03/08 12:50 AM)

"Question your privilege"

#161631 - 10/03/08 03:02 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: dancer9]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I'm at a stage in life where I spend more money on cycling clothing and acessories compared to dress clothing/streetwear...which is precisely what happened when I was vacationing in Seattle.

Keep in mind the U.S. dollar is not as powerful as it was 5 yrs. ago against the Canadian dollar.

But for certain, now I wouldn't want to travel and spend money in the U.S. right now. Canadian stock market is in a bit of nosedive right now. There was a point we were 6 months behind U.S.'s economic slide.

#161635 - 10/03/08 05:46 AM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss2 Offline

I pulled completely out of the stock market. And wouldn't you know, it went up the next day...but now it's down again...so I'm just sitting tight. I got a thrill playing around with the stocks, but as the saying goes; "play around only with what you can afford to lose."

#161681 - 10/03/08 05:29 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: ]
dancer9 Offline

Loc: Arizona
Anne, thank you so much for posting. My mind is at rest. I was so concerned, truly. I'm happy that you are well. If you are not, at any time, I would want to know; To offer my help. Please keep that in mind.
Dancer

"Question your privilege"

#161682 - 10/03/08 05:39 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: dancer9]
Mountain Ash Offline

There is a single woman at my church.I noticed she was missing many Sundays in a row.In fact thought she may have moved o found a beau..she is always looking she says!
I saw her at the shopping mall and asked how she was and said I had missed her.
She has taken a second job at the weekend to make more money.She said she could not afford to buy enough food.
the single person does not have half the living expenses..nor are two having the use of the heating.
First chance I will ask her for supper..without it appearing I am being patronising.So I will wait for Halloween and build it from there.Cant ask her at the weekend she is working seven days.

I was at a boot sale while ago.I buy plants there often.She had a table where her clothing and craft items were on sale.My heart turned over ..she had everything so pristine..said she was clearing out..now I suspect she was having problems.
So Anne I do understand and like EW and Humlan felt concern..
Mountain ash

#161696 - 10/03/08 09:00 PM Re: Current economy affecting you? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Mountain Ash, you and Chatty, and so many of the ladies here have such a good soul. It's people like you that make this planet a better place.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved