The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#160267 - 09/19/08 08:11 AM Leap of Faith
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm not one to take big financial risks. Although I spend a fair amount on my business, I work in a mostly conservative manner with a strong eye for the bottom line (which may be part of why I'm still in business after 30+ year.) I don't make a lot but all my bills are paid.

Right now, I sell at craft fairs 40 weekends a year and am in 2 galleries. My long-term goal is to sell more online and in galleries so I don't have to shlep the 500-lb. set-up out every week.

When I was invited to join Orange County Fine Arts Association, one of my reasons for joining was the possible opportunity to sell at their several venues.

I've been on the waiting list for their Laguna Beach gallery ever since I joined in June. (I'm already in one of their smaller galleries.) This is a new gallery in a good location. One mile south of downtown Laguna but across the street from a very busy restaurant, on a street with many galleries and restaurants, and it's a bus stop on the monthly Art Walk tour. I was told to expect a year (or longer) wait as they have only 3 spots for jewelry.

It seems my wait may be shorter. One of the jewelers is pulling out because she's moving in January. That, and she's had NO sales in 3 months. (And she has stunning work.) Possibly because of the economy. Possibly because the gallery is pretty new and not on the radar yet. But no one has had much success so far, despite the good location in a town that spends money on art.

Jurying is next weekend for the open jewelry spot. Several people have hinted that I've been moved up the waiting list because of my 1st place finish in the annual show. If chosen, I'd start in the gallery mid-October. If chosen, I'd need to make a decision within one week.

Contract is for 1 year, with 4 months deposit paid in advance. I'd also have to work the floor 3(?) shifts a month.

Here's the conundrum: this is an expensive commitment for me, in a gallery with so far a lousy sales record. $85/month + 3 round-trip drives (80 miles) @ 4 gallons of gas = $100/month for a year. Plus the gallery takes 25% of sales. Plus my cost of materials. I've done the math, and I'd need to take in $2,000 sales for the year just to not LOSE money, never mind my time and effort.

(posting so I don't time out...)

Poet and essayist

#160268 - 09/19/08 08:28 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

$1200 is a lot for me and would come from the "Meredith slush fund" -- money I use for travel, clothes and entertainment. If I lose this money, I have NO travel, entertainment or clothing funds for the following year. (Yes, I work on a tight budget.) No, it would not affect medical, dental or house upkeep as that's not touched for elective expenses, period. And I never, ever take out a loan, nor would I consider it for something like this.

I think if I pass this opportunity by, it might not come again. If someone else takes this space and the economy improves, then they would not give up their space.

The balance sheet:
PRO
1. very good location
2. the gallery looks very nice
3. POTENTIAL
4. limited window of opportunity

AGAINST
1. cost to participate
2. iffy economy
3. poor sales in gallery
4. did I mention the cost?

Usually I'm very decisive, but in this instance, I see both sides of the argument so strongly.

Any comments?

Of course, I realize all this consternation will be moot if I'm not offered the space, but I thought I'd put this out into the world.

Poet and essayist

#160269 - 09/19/08 09:00 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Mountain Ash Offline

I am speaking from my own experience.

Once the hard work is done in whatever area.Work..home study and garden the rest comes easily.

e.g the meal is prepared and served well if I shop for the right ingredients and have the kitchen ready.

Likewise a project.
You have done all the preparation.Your jewelrey speaks for its self..you know what you are doing due to the hard work attending the fairs.You are no a novice.
So if things evolve easily and seemlessles ( this coming out of the blue) its a sign. But signs only come due to the foundations you have built.
The economy is bad..but during that time people still have birthdays..weddings etc.
Have you made tiaras and bridesmaids favours...gifts for the Mother of the bride and bridegroom.A theme...individual.
I know here one jeweller had diversed into kilt pins for men at weddings.No one else had thought of this.
Keep us posted..glad for you that a new door is opening.
Its exciting
Mountain ash

#160277 - 09/19/08 02:13 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Mountain Ash]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Meredith, just a question for you. Did you figure out how much you made at the different places you show versus your online sales? Perhaps that might lead you to a decision.

Yes the economy is pretty iffy and we don't really know when it will get better. Hopefully with a new administration in Washington D.C. but no matter who takes office it will take some time for it to work better for the general populace.

I do understand about taking the risk and if offered to set up in the gallerie. Just it's not impressive if there are no sales. You have great, good product that sells and if you're in the gallery you may have the right spot.

I just thought I'd ask that question. Would you also be maybe more ahead to put your websites out to more search engines or something like that?

Either way it's exciting how you make your beautiful jewelry and can earn a living with it. Best to you and keep us informed.
www.tidedancer.com

#160285 - 09/19/08 05:39 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Sandpiper]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Meredith, summer is the slowest time for gift sales. You could be getting in just in time for the holidays.

You say you need to sell $2,000 worth to break even. How many pieces is that? How many individual sales or sets would that equal? (You don't need to tell us, just helping you work things out)

$1200 is only going to get you about two months of quality google advertising. This will last you an entire year in a gallery. You can also list the gallery on your website as a place to purchase, and it will add validity to your online business.

The other woman that didn't sell anything - - how similar are her products to yours? What about her price range compared to yours? How are others in the gallery doing? Is the other jewelry in the gallery different from yours? How does the gallery market itself?

I noticed that you capitalized the word POTENTIAL under the pros; that's the only thing you capitalized in either list - does that tell you something?

Just my thoughts; let us know what you decide.
K

#160287 - 09/19/08 05:45 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Sandpiper]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Meredith, I have no business sense whatsoever. But your jewellery is phenomenal. What might work in your favour as opposed to other vendors who have tried that location is that you can offer a wide diversity of product in terms of both design and price range. People may not be able to spend a lot right now in today's economic climate, but they still want to be able to buy. You offer beautiful jewellery at affordable prices - which is crucial when "affordable" means something different to every person. That might drive more people into your shop.

(Maya Angelou)

#160301 - 09/19/08 09:21 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, have you considered eyeballing the gallery on a weekend to witness first hand the traffic issue? Is it possoble the traffic is there, but not the best quality jewelry? If you agree, will all three jewelry spots be taken, and if so, how does the other jewelry compare to yours? Also, you mention other shops in the area. How many sell jewelry and do you know how they are doing?

#160345 - 09/20/08 08:33 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mountain Ash -- thanks for the vote of confidence and an interesting angle. I do many special orders (bridesmaids etc.) but don't want to concentrate in any particular niche. Although signage in the display might plant that seed.

Sandpiper: Most of my sales come from in-person shows. Galleries would be next and online last. I think there are 2 reasons: 1. people like to see and touch jewelry more than they like to look at a picture; and 2. if you google "hand-made jewelry" -- I can't remember exactly, but it's over a million results. 10 million?? The bulk of my online jewelry sales come from here, my scrabble partners, and friends of existing customers. In other words, word of mouth. Surprisingly, many more people find me when they're looking for supplies -- but that's just a form of cash flow, and not anything I'd want to do full-time.

Kathy: thank you SO MUCH for the telephone call! smile Your comment about the cost of internet advertising is a good one -- I didn't realize how much it costs to attempt to rise out of the huge ocean of jewelers online. I wrote down your other points and will bring them to the attention of the gallery director and the board.

Eagle, I love your optimism! The diversity of my products has always been a strong selling point. I think it would be here too.

Dotsie: I've been to the gallery on a Sunday afternoon. Foot traffic trickled. What I was told is that the greatest foot traffic is in early evening because of popular restaurants nearby. There's no jewelry on that block but it does sell throughout the entire area.

The three jewelers currently on display: two (including the one who will pull out) have a mostly higher end product, with a smattering of less expensive earrings that might be comparable to mine. Both of them have absolutely gorgeous work. Neither has sold a thing since the 3 1/2 months the gallery opened. Laguna Beach is an arts town with the income to support high-end items. Maybe because the gallery is still relatively new so hasn't attracted that clientele yet? The third jeweler has (to me) really boring work with $20-50 price range, and has sold some although not a whole lot.

I know I can sell jewelry. What I don't know is how long the economy will be rocky, and how long it will take for this gallery to take off.

Thanks again everyone for you input and words of encouragement. I'll keep you informed.

Poet and essayist

#160348 - 09/20/08 08:52 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Meredith would it be possible to have women have a jewelry party in their homes for you? You could offer the hostess a gift of jewelry for her efforts. No party with less than a dozen women though, not worth your time...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#160356 - 09/20/08 09:34 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: chatty lady]
Happy Birthday Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Meredith, you sound like a good business woman who weighs all the pros and cons. I would definitely try to bargain with the shop owners. Tell them you are interested,…but act like you have a choice of owners wanting your wares. You make the terms, after all you are drumming business for them! Tell them you only work on a commission basis. They are most likely feeling the economy slump as well, and your beautiful jewellery gets people into their store. I think if you have to pay them to display your jewellery plus a commission then it sounds like a rip off.

I used to sell pewter gift items at Christmas fairs during the Christmas season. I remember standing behind my booth, my items lovely displayed on thick velvet cloth, and watch over my empty counter how the crowds gathered in front of the food stands.

When I was able to place my booth between food stands, my sales went up 100%. People munched and needed something to look at. If I had continued along this line, I would have started a food business myself and displayed my gift items along the side. It’s pretty sad, but it’s true. You need a gimmick to sell, in order to stand out over the competition. And no matter how rocky the economy is; people got to eat. What if you tried to display at coffee shops and/or restaurants?

Just a thought to add to your own good ones.

#160369 - 09/20/08 05:11 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: meredithbead
I'd also have to work the floor 3(?) shifts a month.
Here's the conundrum: this is an expensive commitment for me, in a gallery with so far a lousy sales record. $85/month + 3 round-trip drives (80 miles) @ 4 gallons of gas = $100/month for a year. Plus the gallery takes 25% of sales. Plus my cost of materials. I've done the math, and I'd need to take in $2,000 sales for the year just to not LOSE money, never mind my time and effort.

To add:
*gas prices may rise again
*25% of sales on top of monthly booth fee? - reduce to 10%?
*bad economy (probably to worsen) for at least two years
people rethinking lifestyle choices
*questions: Can a clause be written into the contract, which would void the contract if after 180 days you decide the venture is worthless to you? This is not standard, but new things are sure to be tried in today's unstable financial mess.

EW put forth the suggestion that first popped into my mind - find a chic restaurant to set up a display, sales = strictly commission based, no space fee

How is your home situated? Can a portion of it be set up as a store front, to where you could charge $85 a month, plus commissions, plus free floor help, plus getting another write-off for your business, as well as personal? You could even have individuals who wanted to test their jewelry making skills come for a day. There are people out there looking for things to do for income, but who can't and won't dish out the start up funds out of fear or lack... but, if jewelry making was on their list of 'wish I could' and they got the bug from a day with you, a day's fee for your time and mentoring may appear worth it... not to mention you might pick up another customer for supply purchases.

The capitalized word, POTENTIAL, stuck out for me, too. I didn't know whether to take it as a positive or a negative capitalization - positive, in that you imagined fortune and fame, or negative as in 'it's only a possibility, not a given.' Can you clarify? I think (like kathy) it's important to understand that entry.

Word of mouth is the cheapest and best way to grow business if you have the quality in merchandise/service to generate it.

You are VERY smart to be thinking ahead. BUT, so what if you aren't chosen... its a good time to get ready with other ideas.

These are my thoughts only, not expected to be taken as truths by any other person.

#160380 - 09/20/08 11:17 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

The Gallery is being run as a co-op of Orange County Fine Arts Association (OCFA) and is open only to members of OCFA. Laguna Beach is pricey real estate. Gallery fees are what pay for the rent and utilities. The 25% is what will pay for future publicity and the OCFA scholarship program for high school art students. OCFA is completely non-profit. Standard gallery fee in Laguna (provided you can even get in...) are 50% of sales, and you're out ASAP if you don't produce.

The person who is pulling out has been a member of OCFA for 10 years, and she couldn't get her deposit back when she left before her one-year contract. As a new member, I couldn't expect to negotiate a better deal than anyone.

From time to time, people ask me about hostess parties, but no one ever comes through. Restaurants don't have that kind of free space. I've contacted office buildings et al and no one wants to do/allow anything. And my goal is to have LESS shlepping, not more. I've already done the rinky dink bazaars and PTA sales, and it's not worth my time.

I live in a suburban cul-de-sac with very limited parking. No one drives by except my next-door-neighbors. Homeowners' association would have a royal sh** fit if it seemed that I was using the house for commercial purposes. We can't even have more than 4 garage sales per year (per house) -- not that I'd want to.

I gave beading lessons at the library and sold a fair amount of supplies, but that's not my end-goal. However, I passed the word among my supply customers at Hollywood that they should talk to their local libraries and community centers to sponsor me. We'll see. With the economy being hard, they might not even be able to afford my fees.

When I used the word POTENTIAL about this gallery -- it's the old saw, "location, location, location." Laguna Beach is considered prime location for artists. Tourists come to this town because of its reputation as an art center. Do I expect fame and fortune? Hardly. But I think that success in this gallery would open up other doors -- NOT doors where I'd have to dolly 500 lbs. on 17 trips from the parking lot.

Poet and essayist

#160604 - 09/22/08 09:08 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
underwearmaven Offline

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Hi Meredith, Please make sure you post your decision. I can see the pros and cons of both sides. Woman, You've got talent. I'm totally impressed with your books and web sites.
Maybe you can help me solve my problem. I’m a Boomer and it’s now impossible for me to read without reading glasses.
Unlike Sarah Palin, I buy my reading glasses at the dollar store and I'm always losing them, stepping on them, bending them on the top of my head, you name it.
1. Typical lanyards don't work for me. I like the concept of hanging like a necklace but they pull off.
2. I'm too lazy for the necklace where you hang the folded glasses. Anyway, they fall off too.
3. I'm willing to sacrifice my dollar store glasses.
4. Here’s where you come in, maybe get an earplug or cosmetic foam. Super glue around each of my glasses arms, stuff and super glue into something like a plastic sewing thimble. The thimble would have a chain or something that would clasp to my "one of a kind" meredithbead lanyard.
5. Maybe put something cute on one of the thimble- Like a smiling monkey face. One of those statement pieces that put strangers at ease and they smile back.
6. I know being willing to destroy my dollar store glasses doesn’t bode well and adds credence to the Disposable American Sterotyype- but I really think it will help mother earth in the long run because I break so many!
7. If you get something that works, maybe there’s a market for the Gadget that lets you super glue your glasses and clasp to a lanyard. Maybe apply from a design patent pending.
8. Let me know if you want to give it a try and I’ll go to your web site and place a special order.
Sincerely, Lea

#160623 - 09/22/08 11:22 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: underwearmaven]
Sandpiper Offline

Meredith I think your long term goal is where you are thinking.

You said, "Do I expect fame and fortune? Hardly. But I think that success in this gallery would open up other doors -- NOT doors where I'd have to dolly 500 lbs. on 17 trips from the parking lot. "

So you're expecting to use this as a stepping stone to something bigger and better. Right? So, it sounds like your wanting to accept the offer if you can get it. That's okay because you've got something in your mind where you want to go and this may be were you need to be for now.
www.tidedancer.com

#160636 - 09/23/08 12:11 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: underwearmaven]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Leah, thanks so much!

I assume that your problem with the current model of glasses chain is that either the elastic slides open where it connects to the glasses arm, or the perpendicular aspect is annoying.

I've made one prototype and will be sending the pic to you as soon as I write this. The biggest logistical problem is that anything large enough to go around the end of the earpiece, is going to make a bulky knob at the side of your head. (You could always attach antennae...)

I have 10 pairs of dollar store glasses -- for every room in the house, 2 different strengths in my purse, car, gym bag, 2 in craft bag -- so I consider myself an expert on the variations in this particular product.

Now on to the email, with probably wayyyy too much information! cool

BTW, I think these smileys should be bigger because when I click on them, they're almost too tiny to see their faces. Which is why I don't use as many as I used to. frown

Poet and essayist

#160637 - 09/23/08 12:18 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Sandpiper, not if I'm IN this gallery -- but if I DO WELL in this gallery -- that will be a good selling point to any gallery or high-end shop in SoCali (and maybe beyond.) It would say "She sells well in a high-end artistic market."

My immediate goal would be to make a sustainable amount of sales and show what I think is a reasonable profit.

Poet and essayist

#160654 - 09/23/08 05:25 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Sandpiper Offline

I understand MB. I did mean that you know in your heart if you want to use the new gallery as a permanent place or stepping stone. I agree that if you are selling well in the gallery, it would say something about your craft.

I think it's commendable that you are on your way to doing just that with your business. You've done your homework and time girlie, so it's time for you to get the good site. I'll be praying God leads you in the right direction and that doors will open for you.
www.tidedancer.com

#160672 - 09/23/08 01:27 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Meredith, first let me say congratulations again on 1st place finish in the annual show.

I have given your post considerable thought and I have read all the posts. Here's my 2 cents worth.

Location being number one on my list: Why is the previous leaser, with good stock, not making it in a prime location? This is a good question that you really need to address.

Advertising - In store: Are you responsible or will your first place finish be part of any ad campaign for the store? Will you have a professional ad on your display that states that you are a first place winner?
Is there any such thing as out of store advertising? If not,why not? Any brochures for the store?

Setup: Is there a generic setup or are you allowed to do as you see fit for your collection? Presentation is imperative.

They are very lucky to have you and they recognize that. I would try to come to some better agreement that makes YOU feel more comfortable about displaying your art in this location. Sit down with all involved and express your concerns. See if you can come to a solution that works for both parties.

Your jewelry is beautiful and deserves front row center. Wishing you the best in making your decision.

#160696 - 09/23/08 03:02 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: chickadee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, I live in a town that has quite a few shops that sell creations from local artisits. What attracts me is DIFFERENT. You should definitely include your boxes and vases. Can those be included with your jewelry?

#160792 - 09/24/08 07:40 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Quote:
Why is the previous leaser, with good stock, not making it in a prime location?

Good question. The only guess is that her product is geared towards a midlife+ woman with mucho bucks, and the foot traffic (much of which is from nearby restaurants) is slightly younger. That, added to that the gallery still hasn't caught on as a whole.

The gallery has brochures in store. I don't know what the distribution is outside. Until the gallery starts taking in more money, there's really not much $$ for advertising.

When I spoke to Kathy (Dancing Dolphin) on the phone, she mentioned quite a few good ideas about publicity, etc., which I'll bring to the attention of the gallery manager.

Jewelry case is glass ~5' tall & 2x2' square. 3 shelves. I'd have complete autonomy over presentation, and whether I included written info (including awards.) I'm sure I'd be able to display my boxes and other small art as well.

Thanks again to all! Your time and encouragement is much appreciated.

Poet and essayist

#162701 - 10/15/08 04:09 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

UPDATE

On September 25 I got an email saying that jurying would be that Sunday the 28th for the available space. Since I was doing Race For The Cure on Sunday, I wrote back saying -- can't make it Sunday. So gallery wrote back saying, bring it in on Saturday.

I brought in 4 sets representing different aspects of my style and price points. Everything labeled with descriptions and price. I also included a sheet with "what I will bring to this gallery" and "what I expect the gallery to do for me" (a lot of Dancing Dolphin's points.)

Tuesday I got an email "Congratulations! You have been accepted to the gallery! Can you have your work installed by Thursday?" (Gallery participates in Laguna Beach's monthly First Thursday Art Walk.)

Spent all day Wednesday doing a floor schematic of my shelves and deciding what-goes-where. Drove down Thursday to install my work.

The price has gone up since I got the info in July. Now $80 rent + $15 cleaning/utilities fee + $5 advertising in Art Walk brochure = $100. Also, terms have changed slightly -- it's still 1 year contract, but now new people are Guest Artists for a month (aka probationary period) and then artist and gallery decide if they become a permanent artist/member. Which is a fair system for both parties.

If I'm invited to join, I will. So far (10 days) I haven't sold anything but I'm looking at this as a long-term investment.

Poet and essayist

#162703 - 10/15/08 04:19 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Good for you Merry...I applaud you. You don't get blown out by the little bumps that can pop up.

You do beautiful work so you should be fine. And not even worry.

And I liked your comment about my birds... I've not actually ever batiked... can you believe it? But someone had asked me about the little quilt pieces I make and I was thinking that I could do that with them... little bird patches... fly away home.

I think I can't pack anything art worthy until the last possible minute.

Kate

"Life was not given just to be happy, but to matter. Let me walk in that today." ~Kate

www.dreamrkate.blogspot.com
http://www.DreamrKate.etsy.com/

#162734 - 10/15/08 03:10 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: DreamrKate]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Way to go Meredith...also, aren't you the savvy biz woman in recognizing that long-term serves you better than fly by night sales...there is no telling where this will lead.

Congrats!

Kate, I totally get what you're saying about packing it at the last minute. If I had to pack right now, my computer would be the last to go....and I would be attached to the keyboard when it went out the door! Amen!

#162815 - 10/16/08 01:35 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: jawjaw]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Quote:
Laguna Beach is considered prime location for artists

I know I am late in this response and the deal has been done. But one thing stood out to me and I feel I have to mention it.

I will try to be as clear as possible. Did the previous occuppant have an artist's personality and style? Sometimes that makes a huge difference. Since this is a prime place for artists, perhaps this person didn't have the demeanor. I don't know, I am just guessing here. Many times you can have the best products in the world at the least expensive rate and not have any of your products move if you have a dull personality.

Just my opinion. I am glad you made the choice Meredith. I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. It takes a while for any new establishment to get started and if this is a new gallery, well...people are still trying to get a feel of the place.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Cheers,
Cathi

#162825 - 10/16/08 04:40 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Wisdom&Life]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Welcome back Cathi! We missed ya.

since most artists are in the gallery only 12 hours per month, personality wouldn't be a big factor. Plus, the working artist has to sell everyone's stuff. I also know this gal and she's very friendly in meeting people.

The two other jewelers (who were in the gallery from the start) have sold some, but not a whole lot.

I should be getting my Yea or Nay from them in 10 days or so.

Poet and essayist

#162836 - 10/16/08 08:51 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]

Meredith just want to let you know I'm rooting for you. Have you ever tried selling over Ebay? Just wondering.

#162838 - 10/16/08 11:28 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Just know that if I lived closer, I'd be there spending. My collection of Meredith's jewelry is growing and many of my loved ones also have at least one of her items. I've bought her Christmas items and the young gals in the family really like them. Actually, also bought for boomer women friends. Last year I went Christmas shopping with a few women and darn if one of them wasn't nice enough to wear the earrings I'd given her the year before.

What's in store for this holiday season?

#162963 - 10/17/08 06:36 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Edelweiss, I've tried ebay several times and it doesn't seem to be my market. #1, there's a zillion hobby jewelers on that site selling their work for the price of materials. So it's hard to compete. #2, I don't think people shop ebay for my type of item, it's more people looking for bargains. #3, the auction drives me completely crazy. I just want to set a price and sell it, not play bidding games.

What I do want to try is Etsy, since it's strictly handcrafted and thus gets a clientele looking for more original items. However, add that to the 97 other projects I'm in the middle of. My time crunch ...is very crunchy right now.

Dotsie -- ditto. I have a few new ideas but need to order certain supplies to do them. Maybe I'll be better this year about actually POSTING them, here or on my websites. Last year's cache never made it online at all! frown

Poet and essayist

#162969 - 10/17/08 07:48 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]

hmmm. that's what I thought. If I come up with any new marketing ideas, I'll let you know. It's tough.

#162976 - 10/17/08 01:06 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Aside from marketing, Ihave a thought for you Meredith. I love sets. Love them, especially necklaces and earrings. WIll you be making any Christmas sets?

#163026 - 10/17/08 07:44 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Merr~ You need to put your things up on Etsy. I joined the site years ago, but while I was working it was impossible to actually have any continuity at all because I was always putting something different up there and trying to get a feel for what would "work"... so sadly I made some really wrong choices about what I could make... okay, here's a really good example of what NOT to try to sell - custom Adirondack chairs... now WHAT was I thinking?

Now, since I've got a bit of time, I'm trying to approach it a bit differently, with small things, things that ship well and are easy to pack and won't cost an arm and a leg. I've got those little sewn items up there right now, primarily to get my shop "out there", and when my small ceramic things have their last firing I'll put those up there as well. Your jewelry would probably do wonderfully just because people are looking specifically for custom, handmade art pieces. So CHECK into it and do it. It's really simple to do once you've got the pictures taken. DO IT!

Kate

"Life was not given just to be happy, but to matter. Let me walk in that today." ~Kate

www.dreamrkate.blogspot.com
http://www.DreamrKate.etsy.com/

#163244 - 10/19/08 11:21 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Meredith my own experience with Ebay is that they all want someting for NOTHING! I and you, work too hard to just give our talents and merchaqndise away. That is unless WE WANT TO, and I have wanted to more than once. I wish you all the luck in your endeavors. From what I've seen of your jewelry, it's beautiful and timeless.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163559 - 10/23/08 06:50 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Yesterday I got an email saying, "Can you come in Wednesday (today) for training and a floor shift?" -- and if they're calling me in for training, that pretty much means I'm in. cool

Training was pretty easy -- here are the lights, here are the receipt books, here are the artists' portfolios... shocked No one told me there are portfolios shocked shocked and I have to put it together in one week! Did I mention that I don't actually have a portfolio??? Oh jeez, another thing to do, as if I weren't overworked enough.

So if I'm a little scarce in the next 2 weeks -- I'm portfolio-ing. I'll be checking in here fairly regularly but may not be posting a whole lot.

Poet and essayist

#163560 - 10/23/08 08:07 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

MB, anything we can help you with?

#163656 - 10/24/08 05:18 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Gims, thanks so much for asking, but I think my biggest obstacle is the pictures I don't have.

1. I have pics of less than 50% of the items on display
2. these are computer pics, which I've saved only the small version of to put on my website. Which means that when I put these on a disc to take to my local photo store, there will not be enough pixels to make a good photo.

Everyone else has 5x7 or 8x11 in their portfolios. I think smaller than 5x7 might not be good, then (to hide the lack of pixels.)

I've been re-editing some of the pics I do have. Experimenting with backgrounds all of which looked too busy or too lame.

I admit to being camera-challenged. I have a good digital camera with a 500-page instruction book which scares me -- so I haven't used it even once. Or my old film camera, which I may have to unearth from my closet and shoot a bunch of new pics -- but that would only be the 7 or so new items I'd be taking in next month, as everything else is at the gallery.

So tomorrow I need to compile my disc of computer pics, take it into the photo store, and see just how bad is BAD.

I also need an artist statement and a lot of blahblah about my work -- but I'm a writer, and that part will be easy.

Wanna fly to Cali and take some pictures for me? Because I don't think you can re-pixilate the ones on my computer.

Poet and essayist

#163667 - 10/24/08 01:21 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Meredith....oh Meredith! I'm not THAT far away... Call me if you need me.

Kathy

#163676 - 10/24/08 03:54 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Originally Posted By: meredithbead
Gims, ....Wanna fly to Cali and take some pictures for me? Because I don't think you can re-pixilate the ones on my computer.
I SO WOULD, if I could!!!

Some graphics with limited pixels can be doctored to look OK, visually acceptable... but for a pride-worthy portfolio, I'd go for original crisp/clear images. In addition to providing a higher quality portfolio, original shots will serve as a better historical cataloging of your work. I'd not skimp in any way in this area. Not for your portfolio, but for history, can you dig up original digitals or prints of any/all of your prior work? I can see a coffee table book of your work - something similar to the books of hairstyles you find in hair salons.

#165356 - 11/12/08 05:57 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I'll skip to the ending first. I was NOT mad invited to be a permanent member.

Now here's the rest of the story, from the beginning:

1. Jurying day, the gallery director "P" sent me an email saying "we close at 4, make sure to pick up your work by then." The person to whom I left my jewelry with, "W" said, "be sure to pick up your work by 4." Hubbo and I drove down and arrived 3:30. The gallery was closed. (This was actually at their other gallery location. This will make more sense of #4.)

When I later asked about what had happened, W said "Ask P." P said, "I wasn't sure if you'd be there." Has anyone heard of a telephone? I know it's a rather new invention, but...

2. two days later I got the email, "congrats! You've been accepted!" I had less than 2 days to plan, install & inventory.

3. when I juried, I brought in 7 pieces from $17-$135, to show both my price and stylistic range. When I was installing, I gave the inventory list to "A" to put in their computer. A, who had been one of the judges, complained that I had too many low-price items. BTW, the jewelry was priced $15-$225. Then P sauntered by and said "we really don't want anything in that price range." P & A agreed that over $40 is preferred, but if I had a few items in the $30s "that would be OK for now" but if I was accepted as a permanent member, I'd have to show $40 & up. I said Fine.

Question: since 2 out of 7 juried items were under $30, why wasn't I told about the price requirement THEN?

4. A said "I really liked a certain necklace and it isn't here." P agreed. A asked where the necklace was. I said, "It's at the other gallery, which was closed when you said it would be open." Silence.

5. A few days later, I got a nasty-gram email from W saying that "We are not Walmart, and we don't have cheap items in our display." Plus some other stuff, all pretty mean. I wrote back, saying that I'd remove all the lower-priced items. A few days later, I drove down to the gallery and took out 11 of 47 pieces.

6. then I was called in for work training via email, with less than 24 hours notice. I wasn't supposed to be called in for training unless I was accepted as permanent. So if I wasn't being accepted, then what all was that about?

7. While I was there for training, W came in and said, "I see you removed those items." I said, "I told you I would." He said, "I didn't know if you would do it." Then he's going on about "you might want to look at the portfolios and see what to do."

8. October 29 I still hadn't heard from anyone about when to come in to pay my check, sign the contract, etc. so I emailed. 2 days later, November 1, I got an email from P saying "we've decided not to offer you a permanent position. Your prices are too low. If you have more pieces appropriate to our gallery, please come in to the next jurying. Please remove your jewelry..." SLAM.

9. Since my contract was up THAT DAY, I had to come in THAT DAY. A & W were in the gallery and I really didn't want to talk to anyone. Just get my stuff and get out of there. They kept trying small chitchat. Please. When I was ready to leave, they each said that my prices were too low, they really liked that one piece, blahblah, "You really have to come to the next jurying." HUH???

I said as calmly as possible (and it was not easy being calm, I probably looked like I was going to cry, I'm sure) that the piece everyone loved would've been in the gallery had anyone actually thought to be at the other gallery when they said they would -- or at least call; that they would've gotten the prices they wanted had anyone actually thought to tell me "we like a,b, & c, but d & e are below our price range" -- because my prices were MARKED for jurying; and that I had worked all month to make a whole new collection of large expensive pieces and they had been ready to install that day.

Then A and W both apologized several times for their lack of communication skills and said I should jury again.

I went back to my car and cried.

I had a craft fair the next day so I drove home to get ready. The following (last) weekend, I had my biggest craft fair of the season (which btw was good) so I busied myself getting ready for that. I was very, very upset for a few days but I'm OK now.

I jumped through every hoop they set in front of me. I did everything they asked, sometimes on very short notice. I had all new merchandise, I had my portfolio half done. And that wasn't good enough?? And I'm supposed to jury again because??? (And I'm beginning to think "please jury again" is the gallery equivalent of "let's have lunch.")

Dear Gallery: Thank you, but I've already jumped through that hoop. That hoop, and way too many other hoops in way too short a time. I gave it my best. If it wasn't good enough the first time, why should I think that it will be any better next time?

Hubbo thinks I should write them a nastygram telling them why I won't show up for the next jurying. I think my absence will say everything. Provided anyone even notices.

I gave it my best, and to me, that was good enough.

Poet and essayist

#165358 - 11/12/08 06:22 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]

Meredith, too bad we all live so far away. It would be great if we ladies could just show up in their gallery and complain that their stuff is too damn expensive and that they don’t have enough variety. Then leave with a huff . Every hour a new “customer” saying the same thing. Heh heh…that would be better than a nasty letter.

I was thinking Meredith, I wonder if the jewellery business is something like the publishing business. They say keep away from publishers that want your money upfront. There must be stores that would take your merchandise on a commission basis, no?

I think with these hard economic times and all, you are on the correct path carrying jewellery under 40 dollars. Have you contacted hotels too? They usually have showcase windows in their lobbies. Maybe they would work on a commission basis?

#165364 - 11/12/08 12:47 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Oh goodness Meredith, what a crappy unprofessional way to handle the situation (them, not you!). Given how I'm feeling right now I would like to smack the snot out of them...not that it would do much, I know. And...smile

I like Edelweiss's idea...I'm in!

Please know I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love and positive thoughts and energy your way.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#165370 - 11/12/08 03:33 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Mama Red]
gims Offline

So wrong!
Do you think we are going into a "new" type of business culture. Everything around us is going to pot.

---thought I'd look up 'going to pot,' out of curiosity, to find out where it originated - here's to share:

"Around 1542, when the phrase first appeared, 'to go to pot' was to be cut up like chunks of meat destined for the stew pot. Such a stew was usually the last stop for the remnants of a once substantial cut of meat or poultry, so 'going to pot' made perfect sense as a metaphor for anything, from a national economy to a marriage, that had seen better days. Early uses of the metaphor were usually in the form 'go to the pot.'"

I'm sorry this happened to/for you, meredith. Might it be a sign that this particular location is not meant for you? Then again, it might be a sign from a totally different direction --- Or, the universe knowingly realized you had your own reservations and brought them to attention....
So many possibilities - but, don't let them shake you. We know what you're worth!

#165388 - 11/12/08 06:29 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
Eagle Heart Offline

Meredith, if I ever come out your way, you'll have to give me the name of the place so I can go in wearing one of your pieces and ask them if they have any more - then be aghast because, well, everyone in Europe LOVED this piece that I'm wearing, so I want to get more before my next trip.

Because it's true. I wore my beautiful Meredith ensemble several times while overseas and each time received so many comments from the other women raving and asking me all about it. So I told them your name; one woman who lives in California was particularly interested, but I didn't have your contact info with me. But I will be sending her the info as soon as I can find her email address again.

They're very short-sighted not to recognize and appreciate the beauty of your work, and the value of such diversity.

(Maya Angelou)

#165421 - 11/13/08 03:04 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Mama Red]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I think I could've accepted the rejection better if they weren't such uncommunicative, inconsiderate snots about the whole thing. I was expected to drop my whole life every time they snapped their fingers, and they couldn't even bother to pick up a phone?

Revenge dreams are good, but I don't even think these people care. They have their own little agenda, their own little playground, and their own little rules.

Edelweiss, hotel windows and gift shops are operated in 1 of 2 ways:
1. they're owned by the hotel itself (or hotel chain) which then buys merchandise to stock in these windows and displays; or
2. they're rented by an outside party, who then buys the merchandise displayed.
Either way, their merchandise tends to be more commercial and/or glitzy than what I do.

I absolutely prefer selling to consignment, which can be a royal pain in the butt, but most galleries are consignment. Retail stores have already spent their holiday $$ and will not be looking to buy more for several months at least.

The next few days I'm busy with customer orders smile but hope to put my holiday jewelry online SOON. For the rest of the season, I'll use the extra time for updating my websites with a bunch of new pics. Or maybe even start a site on Etsy. I certainly don't have a shortage of things to do.

Eagle Heart, I want pictures!! laugh laugh laugh

Poet and essayist

#165505 - 11/14/08 04:13 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I hope the next direction for your business, Meredith makes you stronger and even more creative savvy ...with abit less stress. smile

#165518 - 11/14/08 02:38 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: orchid]
Eagle Heart Offline

Meredith, out of over 2000 pictures, this is the only one of me wearing the jewellery, and it was taken in a boring hotel room. Hubby grabbed the camera later that night at the restaurant , and took many pictures of the other people there, but didn't think to take one of me in my Meredith-masterpiece (this night we were in Madrid; but I wore it several other times and can't believe that we didn't think to take pictures!) So this is all I have, unless someone else sends me some of their photos. I know lots of other people took shots of us at these various outings, so someone out there has better photos of your jewellery! Anyway, this will have to do for now.

(Maya Angelou)

#165577 - 11/14/08 06:50 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Eagle Heart]

That's a cute picture of you Eagle Heart. Do you have some Irish blood in you? You look Irish or even German.
Okay...here goes; I'm posting a picture of me showing off Meredith's necklace as well....I also love wearing these turquoise stones to a white summer dress.

#165581 - 11/14/08 06:56 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
chickadee Offline

Ya'll are so purdy. Meredith's Jewelry is beautiful. Eagle, was your Mom part Irish? Many Nflders are. My ancestors go back to Tipperary, Ireland. We could be related.

#165584 - 11/14/08 07:01 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Eagle Heart Offline

Edelweiss, my Dad's side of the family are all Mennonites of Dutch/German descent. Many of my relatives can speak German and Dutch. Dad had a German Bible and seemed to be able to read it, but never advertised that he could speak the language, though German would have been spoken exclusively when he was a child.

Chick, Mom's family proudly and stubbornly claim that they're Newfoundlanders and nothing but Newfoundlanders, as if nothing else ever existed before. Her family have records (and gravestones) dating back to 1604. But I did hear Mom refer once or twice to a Welsh connection way way back.

Edited by Eagle Heart (11/14/08 07:02 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#165697 - 11/15/08 10:20 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Eagle Heart]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Eagle Heart and Edelweiss, you both look great and are the perfect models! Thanks to both of you for posting those pics (and an ongoing thanks to Dancing Dolphin for her current avatar with MB earrings smile )

I spent all day yesterday working on my websites and will continue today. Depending on the fire situation (see the post in Current Events) I may or may not sell at the market tomorrow.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved