The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#163026 - 10/17/08 07:44 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Merr~ You need to put your things up on Etsy. I joined the site years ago, but while I was working it was impossible to actually have any continuity at all because I was always putting something different up there and trying to get a feel for what would "work"... so sadly I made some really wrong choices about what I could make... okay, here's a really good example of what NOT to try to sell - custom Adirondack chairs... now WHAT was I thinking?

Now, since I've got a bit of time, I'm trying to approach it a bit differently, with small things, things that ship well and are easy to pack and won't cost an arm and a leg. I've got those little sewn items up there right now, primarily to get my shop "out there", and when my small ceramic things have their last firing I'll put those up there as well. Your jewelry would probably do wonderfully just because people are looking specifically for custom, handmade art pieces. So CHECK into it and do it. It's really simple to do once you've got the pictures taken. DO IT!

Kate

"Life was not given just to be happy, but to matter. Let me walk in that today." ~Kate

www.dreamrkate.blogspot.com
http://www.DreamrKate.etsy.com/

#163244 - 10/19/08 11:21 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Meredith my own experience with Ebay is that they all want someting for NOTHING! I and you, work too hard to just give our talents and merchaqndise away. That is unless WE WANT TO, and I have wanted to more than once. I wish you all the luck in your endeavors. From what I've seen of your jewelry, it's beautiful and timeless.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#163559 - 10/23/08 06:50 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Yesterday I got an email saying, "Can you come in Wednesday (today) for training and a floor shift?" -- and if they're calling me in for training, that pretty much means I'm in. cool

Training was pretty easy -- here are the lights, here are the receipt books, here are the artists' portfolios... shocked No one told me there are portfolios shocked shocked and I have to put it together in one week! Did I mention that I don't actually have a portfolio??? Oh jeez, another thing to do, as if I weren't overworked enough.

So if I'm a little scarce in the next 2 weeks -- I'm portfolio-ing. I'll be checking in here fairly regularly but may not be posting a whole lot.

Poet and essayist

#163560 - 10/23/08 08:07 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
MB, anything we can help you with?

#163656 - 10/24/08 05:18 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Gims, thanks so much for asking, but I think my biggest obstacle is the pictures I don't have.

1. I have pics of less than 50% of the items on display
2. these are computer pics, which I've saved only the small version of to put on my website. Which means that when I put these on a disc to take to my local photo store, there will not be enough pixels to make a good photo.

Everyone else has 5x7 or 8x11 in their portfolios. I think smaller than 5x7 might not be good, then (to hide the lack of pixels.)

I've been re-editing some of the pics I do have. Experimenting with backgrounds all of which looked too busy or too lame.

I admit to being camera-challenged. I have a good digital camera with a 500-page instruction book which scares me -- so I haven't used it even once. Or my old film camera, which I may have to unearth from my closet and shoot a bunch of new pics -- but that would only be the 7 or so new items I'd be taking in next month, as everything else is at the gallery.

So tomorrow I need to compile my disc of computer pics, take it into the photo store, and see just how bad is BAD.

I also need an artist statement and a lot of blahblah about my work -- but I'm a writer, and that part will be easy.

Wanna fly to Cali and take some pictures for me? Because I don't think you can re-pixilate the ones on my computer.

Poet and essayist

#163667 - 10/24/08 01:21 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Meredith....oh Meredith! I'm not THAT far away... Call me if you need me.

Kathy

#163676 - 10/24/08 03:54 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: meredithbead
Gims, ....Wanna fly to Cali and take some pictures for me? Because I don't think you can re-pixilate the ones on my computer.
I SO WOULD, if I could!!!

Some graphics with limited pixels can be doctored to look OK, visually acceptable... but for a pride-worthy portfolio, I'd go for original crisp/clear images. In addition to providing a higher quality portfolio, original shots will serve as a better historical cataloging of your work. I'd not skimp in any way in this area. Not for your portfolio, but for history, can you dig up original digitals or prints of any/all of your prior work? I can see a coffee table book of your work - something similar to the books of hairstyles you find in hair salons.

#165356 - 11/12/08 05:57 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: gims]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

I'll skip to the ending first. I was NOT mad invited to be a permanent member.

Now here's the rest of the story, from the beginning:

1. Jurying day, the gallery director "P" sent me an email saying "we close at 4, make sure to pick up your work by then." The person to whom I left my jewelry with, "W" said, "be sure to pick up your work by 4." Hubbo and I drove down and arrived 3:30. The gallery was closed. (This was actually at their other gallery location. This will make more sense of #4.)

When I later asked about what had happened, W said "Ask P." P said, "I wasn't sure if you'd be there." Has anyone heard of a telephone? I know it's a rather new invention, but...

2. two days later I got the email, "congrats! You've been accepted!" I had less than 2 days to plan, install & inventory.

3. when I juried, I brought in 7 pieces from $17-$135, to show both my price and stylistic range. When I was installing, I gave the inventory list to "A" to put in their computer. A, who had been one of the judges, complained that I had too many low-price items. BTW, the jewelry was priced $15-$225. Then P sauntered by and said "we really don't want anything in that price range." P & A agreed that over $40 is preferred, but if I had a few items in the $30s "that would be OK for now" but if I was accepted as a permanent member, I'd have to show $40 & up. I said Fine.

Question: since 2 out of 7 juried items were under $30, why wasn't I told about the price requirement THEN?

4. A said "I really liked a certain necklace and it isn't here." P agreed. A asked where the necklace was. I said, "It's at the other gallery, which was closed when you said it would be open." Silence.

5. A few days later, I got a nasty-gram email from W saying that "We are not Walmart, and we don't have cheap items in our display." Plus some other stuff, all pretty mean. I wrote back, saying that I'd remove all the lower-priced items. A few days later, I drove down to the gallery and took out 11 of 47 pieces.

6. then I was called in for work training via email, with less than 24 hours notice. I wasn't supposed to be called in for training unless I was accepted as permanent. So if I wasn't being accepted, then what all was that about?

7. While I was there for training, W came in and said, "I see you removed those items." I said, "I told you I would." He said, "I didn't know if you would do it." Then he's going on about "you might want to look at the portfolios and see what to do."

8. October 29 I still hadn't heard from anyone about when to come in to pay my check, sign the contract, etc. so I emailed. 2 days later, November 1, I got an email from P saying "we've decided not to offer you a permanent position. Your prices are too low. If you have more pieces appropriate to our gallery, please come in to the next jurying. Please remove your jewelry..." SLAM.

9. Since my contract was up THAT DAY, I had to come in THAT DAY. A & W were in the gallery and I really didn't want to talk to anyone. Just get my stuff and get out of there. They kept trying small chitchat. Please. When I was ready to leave, they each said that my prices were too low, they really liked that one piece, blahblah, "You really have to come to the next jurying." HUH???

I said as calmly as possible (and it was not easy being calm, I probably looked like I was going to cry, I'm sure) that the piece everyone loved would've been in the gallery had anyone actually thought to be at the other gallery when they said they would -- or at least call; that they would've gotten the prices they wanted had anyone actually thought to tell me "we like a,b, & c, but d & e are below our price range" -- because my prices were MARKED for jurying; and that I had worked all month to make a whole new collection of large expensive pieces and they had been ready to install that day.

Then A and W both apologized several times for their lack of communication skills and said I should jury again.

I went back to my car and cried.

I had a craft fair the next day so I drove home to get ready. The following (last) weekend, I had my biggest craft fair of the season (which btw was good) so I busied myself getting ready for that. I was very, very upset for a few days but I'm OK now.

I jumped through every hoop they set in front of me. I did everything they asked, sometimes on very short notice. I had all new merchandise, I had my portfolio half done. And that wasn't good enough?? And I'm supposed to jury again because??? (And I'm beginning to think "please jury again" is the gallery equivalent of "let's have lunch.")

Dear Gallery: Thank you, but I've already jumped through that hoop. That hoop, and way too many other hoops in way too short a time. I gave it my best. If it wasn't good enough the first time, why should I think that it will be any better next time?

Hubbo thinks I should write them a nastygram telling them why I won't show up for the next jurying. I think my absence will say everything. Provided anyone even notices.

I gave it my best, and to me, that was good enough.

Poet and essayist

#165358 - 11/12/08 06:22 AM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: meredithbead]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Meredith, too bad we all live so far away. It would be great if we ladies could just show up in their gallery and complain that their stuff is too damn expensive and that they don’t have enough variety. Then leave with a huff . Every hour a new “customer” saying the same thing. Heh heh…that would be better than a nasty letter.

I was thinking Meredith, I wonder if the jewellery business is something like the publishing business. They say keep away from publishers that want your money upfront. There must be stores that would take your merchandise on a commission basis, no?

I think with these hard economic times and all, you are on the correct path carrying jewellery under 40 dollars. Have you contacted hotels too? They usually have showcase windows in their lobbies. Maybe they would work on a commission basis?

#165364 - 11/12/08 12:47 PM Re: Leap of Faith [Re: Edelweiss2]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Oh goodness Meredith, what a crappy unprofessional way to handle the situation (them, not you!). Given how I'm feeling right now I would like to smack the snot out of them...not that it would do much, I know. And...smile

I like Edelweiss's idea...I'm in!

Please know I'm thinking of you and sending lots of love and positive thoughts and energy your way.

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved